Verical Tracking Angle [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Verical Tracking Angle

jim goulding
08-20-2007, 08:35 PM
So, I'm dicking around on Sunday, balancing my tonearm, cleaning my stylus tip, checking to be sure my TT's level, when I decide to give my VTA a look. I looked at the instructions from the manufacturer as I have before but it looked like the rake angle was a little steeper than what's recommended. I don't remember why I did that but I decided to adjust more in keeping with what the book said. I just noticed that I misspelled "Verticle" in the title. Symbolic, maybe.

On this table, I use a Grado Sonata Reference. Grado says the cartridge should be parallel to the record surface or one to two degrees lower in the rear. So, I drop it a hair, then a hair more, and so on using a white background so I can see more clearly the profile of the cartridge body and the stylus from the side with a big magnifying glass. I tighten it up when I reach what looks like the ideal including the tone arm base to the TT platform and prepare to listen.

Holy crap! I had done all this without returning my mat to the platter when I was site tuning in the angle! If I put my mat back and then add a record (like I had done sans the mat) the angle it will be too low. F*** it. I did it anyway. Remember the first time you did this and knew it was right when you found it? Brothers and sisters . . it was dead perfect and I knew it damn near immediately. The attack and decay of notes were vibrant in the way I knew was right. Cymbals were audibly cleaner and harmonic information just rang true when hit with the stick. Stuff was so smooth and finely detailed.

Enough with the superlatives already. The point is that this it is so critical that we get this right and so rewarding. I haven't found this angle in the four or five times I've fooled around with set up in the previous 18 months or so that I've owned this rig.

Have mercy, miss percy . . I tripped and fell into right! Thank you.

BRANDONH
08-24-2007, 04:59 AM
So, I'm dicking around on Sunday, balancing my tonearm, cleaning my stylus tip, checking to be sure my TT's level, when I decide to give my VTA a look. I looked at the instructions from the manufacturer as I have before but it looked like the rake angle was a little steeper than what's recommended. I don't remember why I did that but I decided to adjust more in keeping with what the book said. I just noticed that I misspelled "Verticle" in the title. Symbolic, maybe.

On this table, I use a Grado Sonata Reference. Grado says the cartridge should be parallel to the record surface or one to two degrees lower in the rear. So, I drop it a hair, then a hair more, and so on using a white background so I can see more clearly the profile of the cartridge body and the stylus from the side with a big magnifying glass. I tighten it up when I reach what looks like the ideal including the tone arm base to the TT platform and prepare to listen.

Holy crap! I had done all this without returning my mat to the platter when I was site tuning in the angle! If I put my mat back and then add a record (like I had done sans the mat) the angle it will be too low. F*** it. I did it anyway. Remember the first time you did this and knew it was right when you found it? Brothers and sisters . . it was dead perfect and I knew it damn near immediately. The attack and decay of notes were vibrant in the way I knew was right. Cymbals were audibly cleaner and harmonic information just rang true when hit with the stick. Stuff was so smooth and finely detailed.

Enough with the superlatives already. The point is that this it is so critical that we get this right and so rewarding. I haven't found this angle in the four or five times I've fooled around with set up in the previous 18 months or so that I've owned this rig.

Have mercy, miss percy . . I tripped and fell into right! Thank you.
I am not clearly understanding the White background.
On my table I can adjust on the fly and do it till is sounds correct.
But this procedure sounds interesting.
Details please.

jim goulding
08-24-2007, 05:31 PM
Oh sure, brother, that's ultimately what I did, wodn't it? "Kind of Blue" was the groove that got the honors. Something I've used before many times for this purpose.

I was referencing what the manufacturer said as a starting point. The white background was nothing more than a sheet of paper temporarily taped up in the near background so I could see the outline of my black TT arm and cartridge body better from a kneeling position at the same level as my turntable. My ears were the ultimate arbitrator.

How's that lil OC9 hanging? I auditioned an Elite at home years ago and thought it was very luscious sounding compared to what I heard from other players of the day. I liked it. What's happening?

BRANDONH
08-27-2007, 10:56 AM
Oh sure, brother, that's ultimately what I did, wodn't it? "Kind of Blue" was the groove that got the honors. Something I've used before many times for this purpose.

I was referencing what the manufacturer said as a starting point. The white background was nothing more than a sheet of paper temporarily taped up in the near background so I could see the outline of my black TT arm and cartridge body better from a kneeling position at the same level as my turntable. My ears were the ultimate arbitrator.

How's that lil OC9 hanging? I auditioned an Elite at home years ago and thought it was very luscious sounding compared to what I heard from other players of the day. I liked it. What's happening?

Thanks for explaining the white background.
the OC9 is fully broke in now and it is wonderful really enjoying it. fact since I got I only watch TV with the closed captioning on most of the time so I can keep playing music.
My photo gallery was updated (just click view user gallery under my moniker).
I still need to get a better picture of the cartridge it keeps coming out blurry.