Sub ? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Sub ?

s dog
08-18-2007, 07:22 PM
Im thinking about replacing my ps1000 with a 15'' titanic sub. my ? is can i hook my ps1000 up to my 2 channel khl reciever [ bedroom system] which has no sub output. It does how ever have pre-outs and pre-ins hook ups, can i some how use them. The manual shows a few different ways of hooking the sub up but im not sure if i understand what there saying. Btw does anyone think the 15'' titanic will put the ps1000 to shame, I HOPE.

PeruvianSkies
08-18-2007, 08:56 PM
Well, I don't know what the khl receiver manual says, but it might have assignable outs or perhaps the speaker jacks can be sent out to a sub (i.e. perhaps the speaker B jacks or extender surround if it has those). Often times these are used for bi-amping, but maybe in your case they can be used for sub use. You will really need to consult the manual and decipher what is says or tell us what it says exactly.

Mr Peabody
08-18-2007, 10:07 PM
The best way is to get Y adaptors and use your receivers pre outs to the subs pre-inputs. If the receivers pre-out is one of those U shape or a bar connector, remove those and insert the single end of the Y into the "out", take the end of the Y with 2 ends and insert one into the receivers pre "in" and the other will go to your sub. Do this with both L/R channels. I feel preamp connections work better than speaker connections. Hopefully your sub offers a variable crossover for that pre input. No harm if it's a fixed crossover point, it just don't allow for any adjustment if you don't like the result.

Are we putting the sub under the bed firing up :)

kexodusc
08-19-2007, 04:35 AM
Im thinking about replacing my ps1000 with a 15'' titanic sub. my ? is can i hook my ps1000 up to my 2 channel khl reciever [ bedroom system] which has no sub output. It does how ever have pre-outs and pre-ins hook ups, can i some how use them. The manual shows a few different ways of hooking the sub up but im not sure if i understand what there saying. Btw does anyone think the 15'' titanic will put the ps1000 to shame, I HOPE.
You should be able to use the pre-outs or the speaker level inputs.
When I built the 12" Titanic kit for my folks, I compared to my old PW-2200. While it may have lacked a few Hz of extension compared to the PW-2200 it played as loud, but sounded much, much better. No comparison in the SQ department.
The 15" kit would completely obliterate a PS-1000.

s dog
08-19-2007, 05:24 AM
thanks for the help guys, As i got looking at the manual closer i see they do have a diagram useing the pre-outs with y adaptors, I think i understand how to do it, The manual calls this a [low level input without high pass output] hookup. One other hook up this called a [low level input with low level high pass output, Not sure about that one. Now all i need to do is let go of some money and get the 15'' [ thats the hard part].

s dog
08-19-2007, 01:35 PM
One other thing i noticed in the manual was you can come out of the speaker terminals on the receiver and in to the speaker level inputs on the sub and then out of the outputs to satelites from sub. The reason i mention this is because it is cheaper to run speaker wire than it is to buy Y connectors and rca cables, but then maybe it dont sound as good this way, btw my front speakers are JBL HLS 620,s towers.

PeruvianSkies
08-19-2007, 10:16 PM
Ok, this question is starting to make my head hurt.

kexodusc
08-20-2007, 03:26 AM
One other thing i noticed in the manual was you can come out of the speaker terminals on the receiver and in to the speaker level inputs on the sub and then out of the outputs to satelites from sub. The reason i mention this is because it is cheaper to run speaker wire than it is to buy Y connectors and rca cables, but then maybe it dont sound as good this way, btw my front speakers are JBL HLS 620,s towers.
Do NOT wire your speakers directly to the sub amp. That's not really what those amps are made to do.

You can use the speaker level connection if you want - I prefer RCA - spend $5 on a cable at Radio Shack, or get PE to throw one in your order. Probably the easiest way to connect this.

s dog
08-20-2007, 07:15 AM
Do NOT wire your speakers directly to the sub amp. That's not really what those amps are made to do.

You can use the speaker level connection if you want - I prefer RCA - spend $5 on a cable at Radio Shack, or get PE to throw one in your order. Probably the easiest way to connect this. I will just go ahead and use the RCA hookups, easiest way sounds good to me.

PeruvianSkies
08-20-2007, 08:10 AM
Whew... I am glad we got that figured out before something went BOOOOM!