Funniest Comments.... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Funniest Comments....

PeruvianSkies
08-17-2007, 06:09 PM
Ok, we are all aware that as audiophile/audio-enthusiasts that we are a different breed than most and because of that, it requires us to indulge in behavior that to most, seems strange. We customize our listening spaces in bizarre ways, we invest rediculous amounts of money on high quality recordings and rare imports, and we are constantly engaged in some sort of musical therapy session. So....

In your years of experience what are some of the funniest comments that you have received from the outside world in regards to your music or related indulgences?

For me, I typically get strange looks when people see my movie and music collection and they often joke saying that I am better than Blockbuster when it comes to movies and that I have saved them money by burning CD's for them.

Rock&Roll Ninja
08-17-2007, 06:51 PM
The rack is 50% of music.

bobsticks
08-17-2007, 07:04 PM
" That's the biggest collection of worthless music I've evah seen"--stale hip-hop club girl about 20.3 seconds before getting shown the door

Multiple "think of the car/SUV/ATV/etc. you could've bought..." comments

PeruvianSkies
08-17-2007, 07:08 PM
"so like what do all those boxes do"???

markw
08-17-2007, 08:00 PM
"Is that a Bose?"

GMichael
08-17-2007, 08:22 PM
Wow! You have a movie screen in your house? Can you watch TV on that too?
Why do you have those big speakers? Couldn't you afford Bose?

kexodusc
08-18-2007, 02:48 AM
"How many watts is it?" and
"Yeah, I'm thinking of getting a Sony system"

continue to be heard from time to time.

basite
08-18-2007, 03:59 AM
all of the above, and some more, like:

"yeah I know what an amplifier is. So what is this 'thing' (pointing at amplifier)"

"geez man, what kind of amplifier is this (pointing at speakers)"

"oh man, I wish I could afford a bose system" (that was the last time I spoke to that person)

and in shops, there are countless of funny comments

with the current 'tube amps are 'hot''-rage, several people go like

"what's this" (while they are *touching* the tubes or the cage around them)

SlumpBuster
08-18-2007, 04:43 AM
Comments like these are why I don't allow the outside world into my sanctuary. :D

noddin0ff
08-18-2007, 07:01 AM
"how do you turn it on?"

Audioman00
08-18-2007, 10:13 AM
"does it hafta be soooo... loud"?
"does it have more bass"?

and just an overall, dissapointment to most peoples ears, I guess it's not muddy or scratchy for most peoples ears..... hence the fact that nobody is able to comment anymore, or they get rudely shut down....

idiots IMO

Florian
08-18-2007, 10:51 AM
"where are your speakers?" *standing infront of a 7.9ft and 1300lbs speaker :frown2:

pixelthis
08-19-2007, 12:27 AM
The rack is 50% of music.

The rack ISNT 50% of the music?:shocked:

PeruvianSkies
08-19-2007, 09:49 AM
[walks over to subwoofer and bends down to listen]

"hey, this speaker only has bass coming from it!"

bobsticks
08-19-2007, 09:59 AM
"where are your speakers?" *standing infront of a 7.9ft and 1300lbs speaker :frown2:

You've gotta be hearing some "Hey, cool room dividers!" comments.

Rock&Roll Ninja
08-20-2007, 07:01 PM
The rack ISNT 50% of the music?:shocked:
Of course not..... 40, 45% tops. You have to figure carpet thickness at some point.

pixelthis
08-21-2007, 12:01 AM
Of course not..... 40, 45% tops. You have to figure carpet thickness at some point.
Dang carpet thickness cagged me AGAIN:incazzato:
Not something I heard but a missimpression I had, I thought chicks would like to listen to music(most hate hifi, figuring you could have spent that money on THEM)

hydroman
08-30-2007, 11:42 AM
"My Camaro with four Kenwood speakers - now THAT rocked!"

"Really? 10,000 Gigawatts? Hmmph."

GMichael
08-30-2007, 11:49 AM
Wow, that's a big screen. Can you make the picture any smaller? The image isn't as sharp as on my 27". I guess you care more about size than quality, like me.

nightflier
08-30-2007, 02:45 PM
Oh, I've got a whole list:

(Said while beginning to sit down on my Monitor Audio sub) "You still listen to records? I thought CDs had killed them off in a blaze of snap-crackle-pops."

"I threw out all my CDs - I just plug my laptop into my receiver and I can listen to all my music."

" Why do you need so many amps, isn't the receiver enough?" (pointing at the preamp).

"I just had some guy from ____-tech install everything; it's all top of the line: Sony, Onkyo, Bose, you name it, I got it. 'Cost me a bundle too, but it sounds awesome!" (not really)

"You have to get up to change the volume? Why don't you just get a universal remote?"

"Only snobs notice any difference between $50 speakers and $500 speakers" (apparently the concept of more expensive speakers never entered her mind).

"Why do you need all these speakers to watch TV, can't you just use the one in your TV?"

and the best one:

"My iPod dock sounds just as good as your fancy system, Mister!"

and the worst one:

"The vacuum cleaner knocked over one of those tall speakers, but I put it back up. The dent's on the side so you can just turn it so that people won't see. Boy those are heavy too!" Notice that it was the vacuum cleaner, not her, who knocked it over. This was actually what led to much fighting and the inevitable break-up.

jtgofish
08-30-2007, 07:14 PM
An overly friendly user hippie /feral chick who invited herself into my home ,refering to my 7 ft tall speakers.........
"But why do you need such big speakers?"........
My reply......."because I have a really small penis"

PeruvianSkies
08-30-2007, 07:31 PM
An overly friendly user hippie /feral chick who invited herself into my home ,refering to my 7 ft tall speakers.........
"But why do you need such big speakers?"........
My reply......."because I have a really small penis"

Wow, you and Flo both!

pixelthis
08-30-2007, 11:37 PM
Oh, I've got a whole list:

(Said while beginning to sit down on my Monitor Audio sub) "You still listen to records? I thought CDs had killed them off in a blaze of snap-crackle-pops."

"I threw out all my CDs - I just plug my laptop into my receiver and I can listen to all my music."

" Why do you need so many amps, isn't the receiver enough?" (pointing at the preamp).

"I just had some guy from ____-tech install everything; it's all top of the line: Sony, Onkyo, Bose, you name it, I got it. 'Cost me a bundle too, but it sounds awesome!" (not really)

"You have to get up to change the volume? Why don't you just get a universal remote?"

"Only snobs notice any difference between $50 speakers and $500 speakers" (apparently the concept of more expensive speakers never entered her mind).

"Why do you need all these speakers to watch TV, can't you just use the one in your TV?"

and the best one:

"My iPod dock sounds just as good as your fancy system, Mister!"

and the worst one:

"The vacuum cleaner knocked over one of those tall speakers, but I put it back up. The dent's on the side so you can just turn it so that people won't see. Boy those are heavy too!" Notice that it was the vacuum cleaner, not her, who knocked it over. This was actually what led to much fighting and the inevitable break-up.

You notice that most come from women.
BTW I put a lot of music on my homebuilt computer, have a 300cd changer but its mostly for storage, its just a lot easier to play stuff off of your computer (lossless FLAC and APE
of course)

PeruvianSkies
08-31-2007, 03:23 PM
You notice that most come from women.
BTW I put a lot of music on my homebuilt computer, have a 300cd changer but its mostly for storage, its just a lot easier to play stuff off of your computer (lossless FLAC and APE
of course)

Ok, so you have something against women....Canadians....Hispanics....probably blacks too....who else?

Rock&Roll Ninja
08-31-2007, 06:07 PM
Mormons, lefties, the chuwerros, clowns, jugglers, kung fu practitioners, children under the age of 5, people with tazmanian devil tattoos, people who drive cars with vanity plates, the idle rich, the idle poor, old people, and people that can't multiply 9x13 in their heads.

PeruvianSkies
08-31-2007, 06:31 PM
Mormons, lefties, the chuwerros, clowns, jugglers, kung fu practitioners, children under the age of 5, people with tazmanian devil tattoos, people who drive cars with vanity plates, the idle rich, the idle poor, old people, and people that can't multiply 9x13 in their heads.

Randy Travis, people who have speakers that are 'screwed together', people from Peru, people that don't have LCD's......

Luvin Da Blues
08-31-2007, 06:45 PM
Ok, so you have something against women....Canadians....Hispanics....probably blacks too....who else?

Anybody that doesn't agree with him????

PeruvianSkies
08-31-2007, 07:08 PM
Anybody that doesn't agree with him????

So about 99% of the worlds population. Would be 100%, but at least 1% has to be people incapable of making sound decisions or having free thought, i.e. mentally handicap people, etc, plus infants.

pixelthis
09-01-2007, 05:09 AM
So about 99% of the worlds population. Would be 100%, but at least 1% has to be people incapable of making sound decisions or having free thought, i.e. mentally handicap people, etc, plus infants.
That pretty much has you covered.
ITS A KNOWN FACT that women dont enjoy HT or AUDIO as much as men.
When I was a lot younger (and still twice as smart as peruvian philly)
I actually though a nice system would impress girls.
But they look at your system and think, he could be spending that money on ME.
The WAF is a common phenomenon, and is why the flat screen is going to kill the rptv.
Women love the "look" of flat screens and this allows hubby to get a nice big screen HDTV,
probably for the first time in his life. How many times when putting systems in for friends the "wife" wouldn't allow "all of those big ugly boxes" inro HER living room!
Peruvian philly cheese steak would know this if all of his girlfriends (or boyfriends) weren't imaginary:lol:

GMichael
09-03-2007, 06:49 AM
DING DING....

And that ends round Two hundred, twenty seven, and three fifths. The fighters go back to their corners. Let's listen to what their coaches are telling them.
"He caught you good with that left. You'll have to stay away from that. When he come in at you, be sure to throw your uppercut. You've been scoring well with that. When he moves to the right, move with him. He's trying to set you up for that left. Make sure you counter with a right cross. That will slow him down."

GMichael
09-04-2007, 07:50 AM
(during a movie) I saw that Wal-Mart is selling whole HT systems like yours for under $100. Did you pay more than that?

(after the movie) WOW! That sounded incredible! I could actually feel the explosions. I think I'll stop at Wal-Mart on my way home and pick up that system so I can have the same sound as you.

topspeed
09-04-2007, 04:06 PM
"I didn't know BMW made speakers." - said while looking at my B&W's.

pixelthis
09-06-2007, 01:02 AM
"I didn't know BMW made speakers." - said while looking at my B&W's.
And how many comments do you get about your "german" speakers?:lol:

Kaboom
09-08-2007, 01:00 AM
"Whoa, that sounds AWESOME! i bet they use the same equipment in clubs..."
"What? i can't connect my mp3 player (pointing out a 20$ 256mb no-name player) to your system? why would ANYONE want a system that can't play MP3s?"
"So what's that for?" "its a DAC" "and what's it for?" "it decodes de signal coming from the CD player" "oh... so it plays the CDs" "no, the CD player playes de CD's, then de DAC converts de digital signal to analog sound" "oh... So why not use just the CD player?"
and a bunch of others. i forget. and a lot of general comments on what other things i could have spent the thousands on.

musicoverall
09-11-2007, 05:23 AM
In your years of experience what are some of the funniest comments that you have received from the outside world in regards to your music or related indulgences?

Why did you spend so much on your cables/amp/preamp/CDP? They all sound alike!