Just Nasty [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Just Nasty

PeruvianSkies
08-16-2007, 10:42 PM
Anyone ever get these little pests in their house??

http://entomology.unl.edu/images/centipedes/housecnt.jpg

They zip around your carpet really fast and blend in really well. They are usually in dark damp places and are fairly hard to get rid of. They are not really harmful to humans, but they are annoying sometimes. I think they have intelligence beyond most insects too because when you try to kill them they are incredibly fast and they almost seem to know that you are trying to kill it because they know right where to go that you can't kill it. They are very well camouflaged too.

Anyone else have issues time to time with these critters of the night???

Rich-n-Texas
08-17-2007, 05:00 AM
I have bigger issues... lizards. The cats have fun with them when they sneak into my house, but the problem is, I'm the one who has to clean up the bits-n-pieces Thelma leaves behind when she chews them up and spits them out. I have to say though it is kinda funny when the detached tail is still wiggling...

ForeverAutumn
08-17-2007, 05:06 AM
Kill them dead with Raid. PS if I had those in my house I would just pick up and move. If they want the house, they can have it. No problemo.

We have a moth infestation this year. Lots of little tiny moths. We had a bag of bird food in our garage that went bad and out of the disgusting mess came a mass of moths. They're in the garage, but there's a door from the garade directly into the house and the little buggers get in. I've bombed the garage with Raid twice, it works for a few days but then they appear again.

I think that we're just gonna have to wait for the cold weather to come and kill them off.

GMichael
08-17-2007, 05:52 AM
We just get spiders. Lots and lots of spiders. If you sit still too long, you'll end up with cobwebbs on you when you try to get up. They're fast little monsters.

markw
08-17-2007, 05:54 AM
My cat loves 'em. She loves all types of bugs that are unfortunate enough to come into her realm of awareness.

Thankfully, they are harmless. Ugly as hell, but harmless nonetheless.

Here's a web site that might help: http://www.stretcher.com/stories/990524a.cfm

Can't say that I've tried any of these remedies. We don't have too many of 'em and the cat usually finds, kills and eat's 'em before we see 'em.

GMichael
08-17-2007, 06:01 AM
My cat loves 'em. She loves all types of bugs that are unfortunate enough to come into her realm of awareness.

Thankfully, they are harmless. Ugly as hell, but harmless nonetheless.

Here's a web site that might help: http://www.stretcher.com/stories/990524a.cfm

Can't say that I've tried any of these remedies. We don't have too many of 'em and the cat usually finds, kills and eat's 'em before we see 'em.

Yuck....

JSE
08-17-2007, 07:01 AM
I have bigger issues... lizards. The cats have fun with them when they sneak into my house, but the problem is, I'm the one who has to clean up the bits-n-pieces Thelma leaves behind when she chews them up and spits them out. I have to say though it is kinda funny when the detached tail is still wiggling...

Man, you ain't kidding!

We have lizards everywhere you look. Thousands of them in my front yard. We have this 2 foot tall ground cover that covers a large area in front of our house and they seem to love it. There is a path in the ground cover you walk through to get to our door and the ground seems to move when walking on the pathway. My buddy's 3 and 5 year old boys can play for hours "hunting" the lizards.

Feanor
08-17-2007, 08:15 AM

They zip around your carpet really fast and blend in really well. They are usually in dark damp places and are fairly hard to get rid of. They are not really harmful to humans, but they are annoying sometimes. I think they have intelligence beyond most insects too because when you try to kill them they are incredibly fast and they almost seem to know that you are trying to kill it because they know right where to go that you can't kill it. They are very well camouflaged too.

Anyone else have issues time to time with these critters of the night???

And that raises the question, what do they eat? :eek:

Yes, we've seen plenty. Not very many in the house we're in now, though.

PeruvianSkies
08-17-2007, 08:30 AM
And that raises the question, what do they eat? :eek:

Yes, we seen plenty. Not very many in the house we're in now, though.

I personally feel that there is more to this creature than any information that I have found thus far on the web. In my experience with them, they are really intelligent and seem to know more than most insects do. They are quite calculated in where they move to, how they move, and seem to possess this ability to know your next move when you are attempting to kill it. I believe that the feed off dead things, like for example a dead fly that fell to the floor in your house and has been laying around in the corner behind your fridge for a few days.

Feanor
08-17-2007, 10:13 AM

http://entomology.unl.edu/images/centipedes/housecnt.jpg

It's a "house centipede", (not a silverfish which is something different). It is indeed a predator. According to Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_centipede

House centipedes feed on spiders (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spider), bedbugs (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bedbugs), termites (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Termite), cockroaches (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cockroach), silverfish (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silverfish) and other household pests... Because they eat household pests, house centipedes are considered among the most beneficial creatures that inhabit human dwellings ...

Rich-n-Texas
08-17-2007, 10:35 AM
So PS, if they're "considered among the most beneficial creatures that inhabit human dwellings..." you shouldn't be trying to kill them right? Leave 'em alone! They won't eat your toes. :biggrin5:

GMichael
08-17-2007, 10:39 AM
The real question, that no one seems to have asked yet, is do they help or hinder your room's acoustics?

Rich-n-Texas
08-17-2007, 11:17 AM
Grab Kex. He probably has the answer.

L.J.
08-17-2007, 05:29 PM
We use to have those at our last place. We had alot of Black Widows there too. Lots of em' :eek:

So we move to a new place and now we're infested with wasps :incazzato: @#%&$#

bobsticks
08-17-2007, 06:48 PM
I'm pretty lucky down here, I rarely see any creepy crawlees--maybe cause of recent renovation.

I'll tell you what we got down here on the edge of the hood--packs of dumpster dogs. About once a summer Animal Control has to come around in a posse...

PeruvianSkies
08-17-2007, 07:22 PM
Well, I suppose that I don't really want to get rid of them per se, just as long as they aren't around when I am, which can be a challenge as I am up late at night and they like to prowl then. While they are harmless to humans, my fascination with them has to do with their intelligence and I was curious if anyone else noticed just how smart they seem.

Rich-n-Texas
08-17-2007, 07:31 PM
My opinion is that they're not as smart as roaches. Roaches date back to prehistoric times, and are the ultimate survivor. Armor plated too.

nightflier
09-04-2007, 09:58 AM

That's nothing, wait until your cat brings a bird in and decides to hunt that to death all over your curtains. Ours likes Blue Jays, a sizable bird with lots of life in him, so we've had to seal the pet door because of this.

There are two ways to get rid of a creature you don't like, get rid of what they eat (probably dustmites, silverfish, and ants (hopefully not coackroaches). That would mean cleaning up the dust and keeping the humidity down (a regular air conditioner will do). The second way is to get something higher up the food chain to eat them. A cat seems to be a good bet - they are territorial and love to hunt, especially at night.

I have been reasonably fortunate in my home so far, and I can't say I am as fastidious about cleaning as I should be, either. But so far so good. I've had a few silverfish and we've been using lavender to keep them at bay. I also have no carpet anywhere, which really helps as well - no place for bugs to hide. Our neighbors complain of crickets, but the cats have dealt with them (I find a leg here & there sometimes).

I think the bottom line is that your house centipede, or its food supply, is quite at home in the warmth and humidity that we are experiencing everywhere (global warming?). Eliminate that and the problem should subside.

dean_martin
09-04-2007, 12:41 PM
Your admiration for their intelligence concerns me, PS. I'm reading between the lines here, and I have to ask are you communicating with these creatures late at night? Are they communicating with you? Are they telling you to do things you know you shouldn't? Are you sure they're of this world?

Just kiddin' wit ya. We have tons of little green tree frogs around our house. You can't look out a window without seeing one or more on the glass. They like to climb on the windows and poop. It drives my wife crazy. My long-haired dog will go outside and lay in the grass (like the scrunt in Lady in the Water) and she'll come back in with a frog stuck in her hair.

GMichael
09-04-2007, 01:32 PM
Well, I suppose that I don't really want to get rid of them per se, just as long as they aren't around when I am, which can be a challenge as I am up late at night and they like to prowl then. While they are harmless to humans, my fascination with them has to do with their intelligence and I was curious if anyone else noticed just how smart they seem.

The ones we have are very smart. They have already finished Calculus in just 6 months. But they do seem to be struggling with Nuclear Physics a bit. Are yours available for tutoring?:thumbsup:

Rich-n-Texas
09-04-2007, 02:14 PM
That's nothing, wait until your cat brings a bird in and decides to hunt that to death all over your curtains. Ours likes Blue Jays, a sizable bird with lots of life in him, so we've had to seal the pet door because of this.
My cats are only allowed as far out of the house as the garage, with the door closed. IMO they'll live longer that way (not that that's necessarily a good thing :rolleyes5: ).

There are two ways to get rid of a creature you don't like, get rid of what they eat (probably dustmites, silverfish, and ants (hopefully not coackroaches). That would mean cleaning up the dust and keeping the humidity down (a regular air conditioner will do). The second way is to get something higher up the food chain to eat them. A cat seems to be a good bet - they are territorial and love to hunt, especially at night.
It's funny; when I yell: Get the Lizzard! they both come running. Louise'll bat it around a little then just look at it and then Thelma will come up to it, bat it a bit to make sure it's still alive, then... CHOMP! All gone... problem solved... no fuss no muss. :thumbsup:

I have been reasonably fortunate in my home so far, and I can't say I am as fastidious about cleaning as I should be, either. But so far so good. I've had a few silverfish and we've been using lavender to keep them at bay. I also have no carpet anywhere, which really helps as well - no place for bugs to hide. Our neighbors complain of crickets, but the cats have dealt with them (I find a leg here & there sometimes).
I use old fashioned moth balls under the sink, in the closets...etc, and I haven't had a problem with bugs of any type so far this summer.

topspeed
09-05-2007, 04:56 PM
Cats truly are the worlds best exterminator. We don't really have a problem with bugs in the house, only the occasional fly that zips in when we're coming in from the patio or something. Watching Ghengis, our Siamese cat, hunt flies is more entertaining than network television! He'll get up on the couch, scrunch down with his butt in the air and leap across the living room to nab it mid-flight. He get's em half the time or stuns them enough to finish the job on the ground. One gulp and it's history. No mess, no clean up. Nice!

PeruvianSkies
09-05-2007, 11:19 PM
Your admiration for their intelligence concerns me, PS. I'm reading between the lines here, and I have to ask are you communicating with these creatures late at night? Are they communicating with you? Are they telling you to do things you know you shouldn't? Are you sure they're of this world?

Well, humans sometimes have a tendency to underestimate other creatures, whether it be bears, dogs, insects, whatever. It's kind of like when someone is outside and the same fly keeps bugging them...does the fly know that it is going after the same person? Most likely, but not for the same reasons that we presume. It's most likely not doing it to annoy that same person, but is attracted by sense to that person.

Anyone, back to the centipedes...

I sprayed some stuff awhile back (it's outdoor and indoor use) and I have not seen very many around, in fact the ones that I have come across were dead, so I guess the stuff worked. Also, I have not seen any other insects either, like spiders and such. So all is well.

And just remember the only good bug is a dead bug. - STARSHIP TROOPERS.

Rich-n-Texas
09-06-2007, 04:41 AM
And just remember the only good bug is a dead bug. - STARSHIP TROOPERS.
Noooo... That was a RAID commercial, or was it a line from MiB?:idea:

ForeverAutumn
09-06-2007, 06:41 AM
Well, humans sometimes have a tendency to underestimate other creatures, whether it be bears, dogs, insects, whatever. It's kind of like when someone is outside and the same fly keeps bugging them...does the fly know that it is going after the same person? Most likely, but not for the same reasons that we presume. It's most likely not doing it to annoy that same person, but is attracted by sense to that person.

I agree with the your first statement about underestimating other creatures. But don't mistake instinct for intelligence.

nightflier
09-06-2007, 11:49 AM
Noooo... That was a RAID commercial, or was it a line from MiB?:idea:

It was Starship Troopers all right, a Verhoeven classic, with lots of politics between the lines.

Regarding the cat, if you can afford it, get a purebred, like an American Shorthair. They tend to be more athletic and wild. My family has had it's share of cats over the years that didn't do their share of the "house cleaning" - you can blame my sister for wanting to "rescue" every cat in the pound. My parent's cat, an overweight mut called Rollmop, is so apathetic that one day he was sitting on the deck lazily eyeing a lizard in front of him, when my father walked up, it got startled and ran right over him. He didn't even flinch. Another memorable moment was when we were watching TV and he rolled over in his sleep, fell off the couch, and didn't even wake up. Well, it wasn't really a fall, it was more like a bag of potatoes slowly rolling down, but he just kept on napping, something he does about 22 hours a day.

Purbreds may be a tad more expensive and require more care, but if you enjoy watching kittens chase a shadow for hours, it's worth it for the added entertainment. We bought our first purebred three years ago, the breeder was willing to deal because he had a slight "incorrect" coloration at the tip of his tail (like we cared). Anyhow, he's been the best cat we've ever owned - and the most entertaining, even now that he's an adult: flies-in-mid-air, check, rats/mice, check, lizzards, check, dogs-who-crap-on-my-lawn, check. He's fearless, can jump down a whole flight of stairs and onto the fridge if he has to. He even will jump in the tub when the kids are splashing about, just to see what's going on.

Anyhow, I know this got a little off track, but we do like our cats.... Well, everyone but my speakers.

GMichael
09-06-2007, 12:01 PM
It was Starship Troopers all right, a Verhoeven classic, with lost of politics between the lines.

Regarding the cat, if you can afford it, get a purebred, like an American Shorthair. They tend to be more athletic and wild. My family has had it's share of cats over the years that didn't do their share of the "house cleaning" - you can blame my sister for wanting to "rescue" every cat in the pound. My parent's cat, an overweight mut called Rollmop, is so apathetic that one day he was sitting on the deck lazily eyeing a lizard in front of him, when my father walked up, it got startled and ran right over him. He didn't even flinch. Another memorable moment was when we were watching TV and he rolled over in his sleep, fell off the couch, and didn't even wake up. Well, it wasn't really a fall, it was more like a bag of potatoes slowly rolling down, but he just kept on napping, something he does about 22 hours a day.

Purbreds may be a tad more expensive and require more care, but if you enjoy watching kittens chase a shadow for hours, it's worth it for the added entertainment. We bought our first purebred three years ago, the breeder was willing to deal because he had a slight "incorrect" coloration at the tip of his tail (like we cared). Anyhow, he's been the best cat we've ever owned - and the most entertaining, even now that he's an adult: flies-in-mid-air, check, rats/mice, check, lizzards, check, dogs-who-crap-on-my-lawn, check. He's fearless, can jump down a whole flight of stairs and onto the fridge if he has to. He even will jump in the tub when the kids are splashing about, just to see what's going on.

Anyhow, I know this got a little off track, but we do like our cats.... Well, everyone but my speakers.

Cool cat. I have had many cats over the years and each one has had a different personality. Most like to hunt bugs. We have two right now. One sticks around the house 99% of the time and loves to chase bugs around the house and eat them. She's the one who likes to sit on the living room floor 10 feet away from both speakers. Although, sometimes she likes to lay in front of the sub. The other one likes to be outside to hunt bigger game. Chimpunks, squires, rabbits etc. She could care less about a bug, and will completely ingnore them.
Neither of them have ever scratched a speaker in my house. :thumbsup: They must know what their fate would be.:mad5:

PeruvianSkies
09-06-2007, 06:33 PM
It was Starship Troopers all right, a Verhoeven classic, with lost of politics between the lines.

I rarely get a movie wrong.