Classical Music Fans [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Classical Music Fans

Jack in Wilmington
08-16-2007, 03:42 PM
I'm looking for a better version of Beethoven's Piano Concerto No. 4. I have a Discover International with Alexander Bahbari conducting and Jasminka Stancul on piano. I also have a Telarc pressing with Seiji Ozawa conducting the Boston Symphony and Rudolf Serkin on piano. I would prefer something on vinyl or HDCD if possible. I just feel I'm not hearing all this piece has to offer. Thanks

Pat D
08-18-2007, 06:24 AM
I'm looking for a better version of Beethoven's Piano Concerto No. 4. I have a Discover International with Alexander Bahbari conducting and Jasminka Stancul on piano. I also have a Telarc pressing with Seiji Ozawa conducting the Boston Symphony and Rudolf Serkin on piano. I would prefer something on vinyl or HDCD if possible. I just feel I'm not hearing all this piece has to offer. Thanks
Leon Fleisher with George Szell and The Cleveland Orchestra is regarded by many as the classic recording--indeed, for all five. It's a great performance, very special, both poetic and virtuosic. On LP, it was issued on Epic in both mono (LC 3789) and stereo (BC 1137).

I have the Serkin/Ozawa set and it is very good, though not in the same class. Ashkenazy/Solti is also very good.

Jack in Wilmington
08-20-2007, 02:10 PM
Leon Fleisher with George Szell and The Cleveland Orchestra is regarded by many as the classic recording--indeed, for all five. It's a great performance, very special, both poetic and virtuosic. On LP, it was issued on Epic in both mono (LC 3789) and stereo (BC 1137).

I have the Serkin/Ozawa set and it is very good, though not in the same class. Ashkenazy/Solti is also very good.

Thanks Pat for the recommendation. I went in the my local record shop and they had the Beethoven Piano Concertos 1 & 4 with Christoph Eschenbach and the Orchestre de Paris and Lang Lang on piano. I had just read a very positive review on this recording in Stereophile, so I picked it up. I want to give it a few more listens, but my initial feeling is quite favorable. I will be ordering the Leon Fleisher rendition. Are you familiar with the Wilhelm Kempff version? Thanks again.

Pat D
08-20-2007, 06:08 PM
Thanks Pat for the recommendation. I went in the my local record shop and they had the Beethoven Piano Concertos 1 & 4 with Christoph Eschenbach and the Orchestre de Paris and Lang Lang on piano. I had just read a very positive review on this recording in Stereophile, so I picked it up. I want to give it a few more listens, but my initial feeling is quite favorable. I will be ordering the Leon Fleisher rendition. Are you familiar with the Wilhelm Kempff version? Thanks again.

Sorry, the Kempff/Leitner set is supposed be very good but I haven't heard any of it.

I don't think you will be disappointed with Fleisher/Szell. I certainly like it a lot and I have read some very enthusiastic recommendations of the set on the net.