B & W M1 Speakers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : B & W M1 Speakers

Hank
08-16-2007, 03:36 PM
Has anyone had experience with the B & W M1 speakers?

PDN
08-18-2007, 04:22 PM
Hank,

Yes, I have 3 in use in the same system. What would you like to know? I can tell you that for the purpose they serve, they produce excellent sound. I use two as my surround sound speakers and one for my center channel. You don't use them to produce any bass but to fill up the room as your surround sound speakers and if you don't have the room for a larger standmount (as I don't have), they are a terrific choice. They utilize that same tapered tube nautilis technology as the larger B&W loudspeakers have for the tweeter producing superb detail and information. When I auditioned them, I compared them to the B&W LM-1 which are larger monitors but the sound out of the M-1's was superior. The LM-1's sounded tinny. The store salesman agreed. If I can answer any questions for you, please don't hesitate.

Hank
08-19-2007, 02:41 PM
Thanks.

I currently have a Sony SA-VE835ED speakers with a SS-V831ED matching 6th speaker. They are ceiling mounted on Bose brackets. They sound good for my space and purpose. I am ungrading my TV to the new Pioneer 60" Pro150FH Kuro that is coming in September and will add a new receiver and Blue-ray to it. I am considering some new apeakers if I can get significantly better sound. The problem is that my house is on a concrete slab and the floor in the room is 18" tile. (not the best for HT) Space is an issue but also wiring has to come from the attic. So the best solution for the space and "wife" is ceiling.

This is the reason why I am asking about the B&W M-1's. I do have a sub. I have heard the LM-1's demoed. Actually they didn't sound that bad, but if the M-1's sound as good as you say I need to serously look at the M-1's.

I haven't found any other small wall/ceiling mounted type speakers that perform better.

Any one out there know of better ones?

Thanks again.

PDN
08-20-2007, 03:23 PM
Hank:

I strongly suggest you audition both the M-1's and LM-1's as I did and judge for yourself. I believe you'll hear the difference. The M-1's are smaller and probably a lot easier to mount at the ceiling level than the larger LM-1's. Just a thought. I don't know much about Sony loudspeakers but I would go out on a limb and tell you that Bowers & Wilkins speakes are superior. They have a lot to offer so take your time when auditioning. I have the 600 series DM603S3 floor standers plus the ASW-600 sub. These were just discontinued in the past few months after being on the market for many years. They have a new 600 series line. I would definetly check those out. The 700 series is the next step up. I just love the B&W sound and have been smitten after coming off of Vandersteen's for many years. But there are a plethora of choices out there. All the best.

Also, regarding your concrete slab and tile floor, this makes it very tough on producing good bass extension. You will need a larger sub woofer to overcome the lack of carpeting. The thicker the carpet, the greater the bass sound is produced (low frequency). This becomes particularly needed when watching movies. Anyway, I've rambled on enough. Sorry to sound off too much. Just trying to assist.

Hank
08-22-2007, 10:13 AM
Thanks, DPN. I need all the help I can get. There is a local dealer for B&W speakers here in Augusta and I will make it a point to audition both M-1's and LM-1's.
If you have any other suggestions let them fly.

Thanks, again.

Hashpot
08-22-2007, 02:53 PM
"Also, regarding your concrete slab and tile floor, this makes it very tough on producing good bass extension. You will need a larger sub woofer to overcome the lack of carpeting. The thicker the carpet, the greater the bass sound is produced (low frequency). This becomes particularly needed when watching movies. Anyway, I've rambled on enough. Sorry to sound off too much. Just trying to assist"

No keep going with that topic I have my system in a room with tile I didnt know tile would make LF weaker, I did hear something about the less flat your wall are the more bass you get but how does the lower frequency efect apply to tile floor?

PDN
08-24-2007, 08:14 PM
Hashpot:

I'm not sure I can explain this scientifically or as an audio engineer would but here goes. The ideal room should have a balance of reflective and sound absorbing materials to produce optimum sound. Too much of one or the other degrades the sound quality. For example, let's say you have a room with just bare walls and a bare tile floor. The sound produced by your audio system will be too reflective and bounce all over. The sound will echo and flutter and not decay as it should after say a cymbal is hit for example. It will last too long. The low bass frequency sound produced in your speakers and sub will be overun by the highs and the sound will be too thin and echoey. To the other extreme, let's say you have very very thick carpet on every surface with no windows and the room is sealed up tight almost like an anechoic chamber (test cell). The sound produced by your system will sound dead because it's being absorbed and not being reflected back into the room. So a balance of both is the ideal set up. Floors without carpet will produce a lot of thin echoey sounds and could be too reflective. You lose that punch from your sub and speakers. If you can, install an average thick carpet on your floor and you'll notice your bass response will improve and last longer during play. (You may like the sound in a room with a tile floor and so if that's the case, leave it alone.) For me, I've got to feel and hear that bass punch me in the chest but not too boomy. Just enough. Absorbing materials include carpet, soft furniture, hanging rugs, large drapes, etc. There are commercial bass traps on the market that you can search the www for which can help. Thanks for asking.

Hank
08-27-2007, 12:26 PM
I do have a sectional area rug over some of the the tile & soft funiture. Another obsticle to make matters worse I have one wall that is glass, no curtans. But you have to work with what you've got.

Has anyone compared the B&W M1's with the Definitive Mythos GEM XL's? If so what are your thoughts????