Ambience Hybrid Ribbons [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Ambience Hybrid Ribbons

jtgofish
08-16-2007, 02:21 AM
Well after years of really rating Ambience speakers I have ordered a pair of 1600s.
I think these have to be one of the best kept secrets in audio-and one of the great bargains.

I first heard a pair of these ten years ago and they lodged strongly in my memory as being pretty special.

After owning all sorts of speakers in the intervening years I recently had a chance to have a really good listen to some 1800 Ultras and they left me with the realisation that nothing I have owned previously could match them for tonal accuracy or resolution,and that the imaging and soundstaging is also at least as good as anything else I have used.
I have used some fantastic imaging speakers in the past including electrostats and Tannoy dual concentrics-so I think this is quite telling.

If the 1600 Ultras work out my plan is to upgrade to the 1800 Reference which are rated at 96db sensitivity.

Has anyone else used these speakers.?
Any tips on amplification or room placement would be appreciated.

bubslewis
08-16-2007, 03:44 PM
Who manufactures them, and where?

jtgofish
08-16-2007, 06:45 PM
Ambience is an Australian company which has been making and refining their ribbon speakers for at least 15 years.

They do have North American distributors.

I think they have hit on a relatively simple design that just works.Surprisingly good bass from small 7 inch woofers and certainly much better integrated than the Martin Logan and Soundlab hybrids I have heard.Better imaging too.So overall these are pretty unassuming speakers.But when something is right,it is right I guess.

You can find more about them and read some reviews at

www.Ambiencespeakers.com.au