What's your jam? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : What's your jam?

Davey
08-15-2007, 10:26 AM
Remember the first time hearing Some Girls? What did Mick say? Black girls just wanna do what? He can't say that, can he? Hehehe, what a great song!

Anyway, I love the way Rae used that word when talking about the latest Richard Buckner record, and that cool "Lucky" song, the music that really gets you off right now, that you listen to over and over, like a sex addict, your jam, a music jam, ya know the Phish kinda jam, but not really that kinda jam, more the Coltrane kinda jam, ya gotta mix just a little of that other jam, Mick's "I just don't have that much jam" kinda jam, the get you off part of the jam, but not the messy part of the jam, not that far, the getting there part of the jam ... so speaking of my jam ...

Kinda mundane after the jam talk, but I've been listening over and over to one of my favorite recordings of one of my classical pieces, Concierto De Aranjuez. Truth be told, I have about six LPs of this music including all of the big guitarists, like Pepe Romero, Alexandre Lagoya, John Williams and two by Narciso Yepes, and they are all great by just about any standards, but my favorite by far is Siegfried Behrend (1933-1990) on guitar with the Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra conducted by Reinhard Peters and recorded in 1960 (DG 139 166). The guitar playing is so passionate, yet relaxed, and the sound so colorful and alive. Just a wonderful performance and recording. Released a few years ago on a low cost import Aussie CD too, paired with Rodrigo's Concerto Serenade for Harp and Castelnuovo-Tedesco's Concerto for Guitar. As always it's highly subjective, and it isn't a "modern" recording, and some of those Deutsche Grammophon recordings could get a bit sterile sounding, but not this one, no better Concierto De Aranjuez that I've heard. Might not be the most authentic sounding orchestra and guitar recording, but it sure sounds nice. Behrend also recorded a sterling Vivaldi D major guitar concerto (actually, a transcription of a lute concerto).

Rodrigo: Concierto De Aranjuez, Concerto Serenade
Release Date: 01/21/2002 Label: Eloquence [Deutsche Grammophon] Catalog: 457306
Composer: Joaquin Rodrigo, M. Castelnuovo-Tedesco
Performer: Nicanor Zabaleta, Siegfried Behrend
Conductor: Reinhard Peters
Orchestra/Ensemble: Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra

I've actually seen two different covers, but the CD I have looks like this ...

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/B00004UPUE.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

This recording of the Concierto De Aranjuez is also available on one of those cheap Guitar Weekend packages along with the Vivaldi I mentioned, and some other cool stuff by both Behrend and Yepes ... great buy! I picked up a copy of it awhile back in the amazon marketplace for just a couple bucks, and it actually sounds great. Just a cheap digi-pak, but a pretty decent mastering job, and some really nice bass and soundstage on the good system, so I copied the Rodrigo and Vivaldi tracks with Behrend to my computer (because the tracks with Yepes are kind of a throwaway for me, not my jam), and love it, even without the bass and soundstage. Yeah, that's my jam right now :)

edit: Hey, where'd all my 40-some-odd guests and new buddies go? I'm down to only 15 now :(

Slosh
08-15-2007, 12:57 PM
Jam this!

Mr Peabody
08-15-2007, 07:54 PM
My jam is between my toes :)

bobsticks
08-17-2007, 08:18 PM
MonkeyD I get your jist, bizarre segues and all. Despite having several Williams discs and a few from Lagoya and Yepes, the first thought that came to mind upon reading your description was Carlos Heredia. Though completely unorchestrated and unsymphonic in nature "Gypsy Flamenco" has that passion of which you speak. If you get a chance check it out and, of course, it being from those amazing flying Chesky Brothers the sound aint half bad.

As for what's my jam, in a week that has seen many discs enter this home two have made the cut time and time again...and again and again.

Miles' Kind of Blue despite being something that I've owned forever is one that still makes the hair on my neck stand up. Sometimes I regard this as more of a happening that just a collection of tunes. I own a lot of great jazz albums but this one is always right. And...

...as usual I'm slightly behind the curve but I "acquired" a copy of Shearwater's Palo Santo this week that is just kicking the same kind of chill for me. Bombastic and atmospheric from the opening feedback and piano riff I'm hooked. Any further Shearwater recommendations are being accepted.

Peace

jim goulding
08-18-2007, 09:28 AM
Kind of Blue, Rodriquez and Heredia on Chesky. Been spinnin Tord Gustaven Trio's new set on ECM quite a lot. Nothing very profound, rather contemplative, nice noodlin stuff with great piano and bass tone altho the cymbals are placed too wide in the mix. Saw a documentary on Steely Dan recently. Believe I will get the 180 gram re-master of "Aja" to add to my best of Dan disc.

jim goulding
08-18-2007, 09:33 AM
That's Rodrigo, rather.

Davey
08-18-2007, 10:20 AM
...as usual I'm slightly behind the curve but I "acquired" a copy of Shearwater's Palo Santo this week that is just kicking the same kind of chill for me. Bombastic and atmospheric from the opening feedback and piano riff I'm hooked. Any further Shearwater recommendations are being accepted.
Like many great modern indie bands, they've spent time with the guys at Daytrotter recording a session. Definitely a nice read and listen. The second disc in the 2007 reissued Palo Santo is really nice too, a true bonus compared to most 2-CD "deluxe" reissues.

Shearwater at Daytrotter (http://www.daytrotter.com/article/422/shearwater-where-are-we-oh-where-our-eyes-can-never-adjust)

Nice one not too long ago with The National as well.

The National at Daytrotter (http://www.daytrotter.com/article/882/the-national-the-heart-of-the-night-is-flat-catching-many-off-guard)

Mr Peabody
08-18-2007, 02:29 PM
Limp Bizkit, Get Your Groove On.
Marvin Gaye, Let's Get It On.
Iron Maiden, Power Slave
Sam & Dave, Hold On, I'm Coming
Elvis, Suspicious Minds
Van Halen, Ain't Talkin Bout Love & Never Satisfied

Well that's enough jam for one sandwich.

Davey
08-18-2007, 05:23 PM
Limp Bizkit, Get Your Groove On.
You got some sick jam there, Peabody. And I don't mean sick in a good way :)

Got a Morphine jam going here. Debut Good doing the repeat thing, man that's a nice record, with a few bottles of Sapporo on the side. And some curry chicken smell from the kitchen. That's what I call a jam.

Slosh
08-19-2007, 04:38 AM
How about a quickie?

NP:

Rae
08-19-2007, 05:19 PM
Hehe, for me, a jam is a song that I just want to play over and over again. Not sure there's anything I'm really stuck on at this exact moment, but the last jam I just kept playing and playing was Lupe Fiasco's "Hurt Me Soul" a couple of weeks ago. What a song.

~Rae