Does anyone believe there are 37 guests here right now? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone believe there are 37 guests here right now?

Davey
08-13-2007, 08:14 AM
And only 4 members? Who are they? Whatcha think they're doing? Do we know any of em? How'd they get here? Where'd they come from? Why don't they say anything? Are they shy? Are they real?

edit: now there's 43! It's like a stampede!

GMichael
08-13-2007, 08:23 AM
At any given time, there are normally 4 to 10 times as many "guests" as members here. I know that I was a lurker for a long time before I made my first post. People find this place when they are looking for reveiws. I know that I still stumble back here a lot when I look for information on Google. I just hung arround reading up on things before I had some direct questions that I wanted answered.

Edit: If you go here: http://forums.audioreview.com/online.php you can see what they are all reading.

tentoze
08-13-2007, 08:59 AM
It's a gang of vigilantes looking for Monkey Bones, or dbe or......

**edit** oops, dbi...see, I can't even keep up with all of it.

3-LockBox
08-13-2007, 09:24 AM
Well I just got through typing a rather thoughtful response but after several tries, it failed for whatever reason this POS website fails (where other hardly ever do). I have digital cable and its still the slowest site...I know government sites that don't take as long to load. If you're on dial-up, fugetaboutit.

If the lurkers are really there, perhaps they're still waiting for the fargin page to load, but after watching how slow this place is, I can see how they'd opt out.

We'll see if this works.

Davey
08-13-2007, 09:31 AM
Well I just got through typing a rather thoughtful response...
Oh, c'mon Todd, you may be able to dupe the guests, but we know you!

:)

GMichael
08-13-2007, 09:33 AM
Well I just got through typing a rather thoughtful response but after several tries, it failed for whatever reason this POS website fails (where other hardly ever do). I have digital cable and its still the slowest site...I know government sites that don't take as long to load. If you're on dial-up, fugetaboutit.

If the lurkers are really there, perhaps they're still waiting for the fargin page to load, but after watching how slow this place is, I can see how they'd opt out.

We'll see if this works.

Didn't you know that we're all on autopilot?

http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=23770

Rich-n-Texas
08-13-2007, 09:47 AM
Right now, Snowbunny is viewing a private message sent by Slosh. Wonder what that's all about. :idea:

SlumpBuster
08-13-2007, 09:54 AM
I know that I was a lurker for a long time before I made my first post.

Me too. The real answer is that RR is a tight knit group of regulars, even to the point of having inside jokes and seeking equipment advise in this forum whilst surrounded by hardware specific forums. Not that that is a bad thing. Also, IMO discussion tends to focus on indie with a good number of forays into prog. Not really mass appeal genres (which is the point of both, I suppose).

But, its actually a welcoming forum, it can just be intimidating to the noob. I've taken advantage of some of the Comps (equally available to noob and old codger alike) and have been stymied by a number of the artists. Who? The hardware forums get the same goofy disproportionate amount of "guest" traffic.

It's like that scene in Hi Fidelity:

Barry's customer: Hi, do you have the song "I Just Called To Say I Love You?" It's for my daughter's birthday.
Barry: Yea we have it.
Barry's Customer: Great, Great, can I have it?
Barry: No, no, you can't.
Barry's Customer: Why not?
Barry: Well, it's sentimental tacky crap. Do we look like the kind of store that sells I Just Called to Say I Love You? Go to the mall.

3-LockBox
08-13-2007, 10:23 AM
Oh, c'mon Todd, you may be able to dupe the guests, but we know you!

:)

:dita:

:ciappa:

3-LockBox
08-13-2007, 10:33 AM
IMO discussion tends to focus on indie with a good number of forays into prog. Not really mass appeal genres (which is the point of both, I suppose).

Yeah, that indie stuff is really wierd most of the time.

If I feel compelled to post about a certain group, or anything else, I just post it. And if it gets responses, great, if not, oh well. As far as our scope being narrow or limited...the mainstream crowd has MTV, smooth jazz has Starbucks, the rest of us have the internet. It works out in the end. Besides, its just a matter of time before the RIAA puts the kabosh on music message boards too.

Hyfi
08-13-2007, 10:38 AM
Really, it Yech logged in 30x reading every RR post even though he says he doesn't. He has to show as a guest since they won't let him have an account anymore.

As far as the gentleman's comment about the place being a tight knit group, the reason is that most of the lurkers never actually join and post in order to change that. It's true that there are about 15 of us who have been posting here for countless years. Please post and ask questions, most every one's questions eventually get answered. The reason we post hardware and equipment questions here is as a tight knit group, we trust our friends opinions and are not looking for the age old argument that you can't tell the difference between cables.....

If more lurkers would actually post, this place would not just be a tight knit group.

Hyfi

ForeverAutumn
08-13-2007, 10:52 AM
Actually, I invited the mods to move my equipment question to the appropriate forum since I honestly didn't know where to post it. There's no Receiver forum and it didn't seem to fit into the HT category. No-one moved it, so don't blame me.

SlumpBuster
08-13-2007, 11:09 AM
Yeah, that indie stuff is really wierd most of the time.

Not wierd... just boring. :p I'll stick with being a genre whore. Give my my ska, funk, brit-rock, zydeco, blues, jazz, and techno anyday. :D

What is "indie" anyway? Indie should start trying to claim it doesn't exist, like the way "emo" and its associated acts and fans claim it doesn't exist. Beggar's Banquet should issue a press release: "We are not Indie."

Example:
Emo Kid: "Emo doesn't exist, man! It's just a label!"
Me: "Really? Because "emo belts" are 50% off at Hot Topic."
Emo Kid: "Oh? I gotta go get my mom's credit card."

I wasn't criticizing the group, merely observing. I agree that it serves its purpose as a group for those who take their time to care about music, rather then who Pete Wentz is getting his stink finger from this week.

(I'm just glad I got to write the phrase "stink finger" in something today. Makes getting up this morning worth it.)

SlumpBuster
08-13-2007, 11:19 AM
Actually, I invited the mods to move my equipment question to the appropriate forum since I honestly didn't know where to post it. There's no Receiver forum and it didn't seem to fit into the HT category. No-one moved it, so don't blame me.

Jeez, look what I started. I agree with the wisdom of posting equipment questions in here. Frankly, you're question was simple and straight forward, but you got some dumb, off-topic, and meandering responses when exposed to the technophiles. (good god, I bet I just insulted the techno-wienies now... my hole just keeps getting deeper). :( :sad:

Rich-n-Texas
08-13-2007, 11:29 AM
Me too. The real answer is that RR is a tight knit group of regulars, even to the point of having inside jokes and seeking equipment advise in this forum whilst surrounded by hardware specific forums. Not that that is a bad thing. Also, IMO discussion tends to focus on indie with a good number of forays into prog. Not really mass appeal genres (which is the point of both, I suppose).

But, its actually a welcoming forum, it can just be intimidating to the noob. I've taken advantage of some of the Comps (equally available to noob and old codger alike) and have been stymied by a number of the artists. Who? The hardware forums get the same goofy disproportionate amount of "guest" traffic.
Oh gawd. Not this conversation again. I didn't start it 3-LockBox!

http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=23040 (post #9 & 14 - 17)

Why would you think it wouldn't fit in the HT category FA? That question's been asked a million times in HT and General Audio.

Can I request a Rush compilation? My Rush fav's are scattered across many different formats; some of which sound pretty bad.

Please? I'll give you my list...

Rich-n-Texas
08-13-2007, 11:30 AM
Jeez, look what I started. I agree with the wisdom of posting equipment questions in here. Frankly, you're question was simple and straight forward, but you got some dumb, off-topic, and meandering responses when exposed to the technophiles. (good god, I bet I just insulted the techno-wienies now... my hole just keeps getting deeper). :( :sad:
Kex provided a very good answer...

ForeverAutumn
08-13-2007, 11:30 AM

I got some good suggestions and alternate ideas to consider that I wouldn't have come up with on my own due to my lack of knowledge on the subject. More importantly, I got some great, more personalized advice off-line. The post was in the right place. :)

And if any of the lurkers have any thoughts about what receiver would suit me, please do tell. :)

ForeverAutumn
08-13-2007, 11:34 AM
Can I request a Rush compilation? My Rush fav's are scattered across many different formats; some of which sound pretty bad.

Please? I'll give you my list...

Hey Rich, I'd be happy to put a Rush comp together. PM me your list. But be warned that I may not have time to do it for a couple of weeks.

GMichael
08-13-2007, 11:39 AM
my hole just keeps getting deeper). :( :sad:

You mean to say that...cough cough.. sneeze.. snort..

Oh man, set me up again.

Rich-n-Texas
08-13-2007, 11:46 AM
Hey Rich, I'd be happy to put a Rush comp together. PM me your list. But be warned that I may not have time to do it for a couple of weeks.
Really? What's interesting is, I was going to start a thread that contained my "Dream Rush Compilation", but didn't want to post too much over the weekend what with my drinking habits and all... :biggrin5:

And... No rush FA. :ihih: (pretty good eh?)

GMichael
08-13-2007, 11:49 AM
Really? What's interesting is, I was going to start a thread that contained my "Dream Rush Compilation", but didn't want to post too much over the weekend what with my drinking habits and all... :biggrin5:

And... No rush FA. :ihih: (pretty good eh?)

Rush? Who are they? Aren't they from Mexico?

Rich-n-Texas
08-13-2007, 11:56 AM
A little north of Boo Boo.

GMichael
08-13-2007, 12:07 PM
A little north of Boo Boo.

Yeah yeah, I remember now. I own most of their CD's. This after owning most of their 8 tracks, cassets and LP's. But I don't have all the DVD's like FA does.

SlumpBuster
08-13-2007, 12:25 PM
You mean to say that...cough cough.. sneeze.. snort..

Oh man, set me up again.

It's loose and sloppy, too. Heyoooooooo! Look at me go... I'm like Jerry Lewis with his foot caught is a bucket.

3-LockBox
08-13-2007, 12:45 PM
Frankly, you're question was simple and straight forward, but you got some dumb, off-topic, and meandering responses when exposed to the technophiles.

And this never, ever happens in the tech boards...

right

:17:

So who's responses were 'dumb', pray tell?

Are you still wondering why some RR posters never venture into the tech boards?

Gee, you make a tough sell. I avoid the tech sections because I couldn't warm to some of those people if we were cremated together.

GMichael
08-13-2007, 12:58 PM
. I avoid the tech sections because I couldn't warm to some of those people if we were cremated together.

Oh poo...:incazzato:

SlumpBuster,
No comment.:blush2:

Slosh
08-13-2007, 01:15 PM
I'm still looking for that distinguished road.

NP:

SlumpBuster
08-13-2007, 02:40 PM
And this never, ever happens in the tech boards...

right

:17:

So who's responses were 'dumb', pray tell?

Are you still wondering why some RR posters never venture into the tech boards?

Gee, you make a tough sell. I avoid the tech sections because I couldn't warm to some of those people if we were cremated together.

You... You gave a dumb answer. If you don't venture over to the tech side it's only b/c you can't hang. :D Naw, I was just goofin' around. I thought the general tone of my posts conveyed that. If I was leaving you cold, I'm sorry. Another post layed waste to the lack of a goofball font. I won't goof around anymore... I promise... all business from here on out.

Damn, just reread this response and it appears I'm still goofin' around. I'm such a Cheshire Cat.

Swish
08-13-2007, 04:21 PM
...RR is a tight knit group of regulars, even to the point of having inside jokes and seeking equipment advise in this forum whilst surrounded by hardware specific forums.

...several times in the past, and was met with a rather uninspired response from the people there. I realized that so many of the RR regulars were uber-geeks, so I threw out a couple questions and got exactly what I wanted, and I never looked back.

As for my first venture here, I was watching the inauguration of JFK....

G Swish

3-LockBox
08-13-2007, 07:25 PM
Naw, I was just goofin' around. I thought the general tone of my posts conveyed that. .

I assumed so...

Hey, I try not to let anyone rent space in my head

You'll have to try harder than that!

;)

basite
08-14-2007, 01:07 AM
oh man, there are like 16 guests here now, and I'm the only member in here now

I feel watched :blush2:

Snowbunny
08-14-2007, 01:50 PM
Right now, Snowbunny is viewing a private message sent by Slosh. Wonder what that's all about. :idea:

:eek:

You know ever since I got my iMac with the onboard camera, I've had a feeling somebody's been watching me!

I think the now viewing function is TMI for public. :incazzato:

ForeverAutumn
08-14-2007, 05:54 PM
:eek:

You know ever since I got my iMac with the onboard camera, I've had a feeling somebody's been watching me!

I think the now viewing function is TMI for public. :incazzato:

I agree. I made myself invisible years ago. I'm assuming that no-one can tell when I'm on-line or where I'm viewing. I've never actually asked anyone to test it out for me though.

GMichael
08-14-2007, 06:35 PM
I agree. I made myself invisible years ago. I'm assuming that no-one can tell when I'm on-line or where I'm viewing. I've never actually asked anyone to test it out for me though.

Just look for yourself. Click on the link I posted at #2.

I've never seen your name come up though.