Speaker Recommendation? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Speaker Recommendation?

Hank
08-13-2007, 06:40 AM
I currently have a 6:1 ceiling mounted (Bose brackets) speakers system (Sony SA VE835ed). My plan is to up grade my entire home theater system. New pioneer elite Kuro 60" plasna, probably a new Pioneer Elite VSX94TXH reciever, and the Pioneer Elite blueray BDP-HD1.

The speaker system is about 5 years old and still sounds great. The problem is that I need a 7th speaker. This paticular speaker is no longer available. My choices are to find a matching Sony speaker (SS E831ED or a single SA VE835ED) or go to a totally new speaker system. I have been off the market for a while and don't know anything about todays home theater speakers. The only constraint is they have to attach to the Bose mounts.

RECOMMENDATIONS?????

bfalls
08-13-2007, 07:55 AM
My recommendation would be a new speaker system. You're buying a quality plasma display, a quality receiver and a quality source from a manuafacturer known for these components. Why compromise the system with speakers from a manufacturer not known for quality speakers? The speakers would definitely be the weakest link in your system.
There are many excellent quality speaker systems available from many different speaker manufacturers (PSB, B&W, Paradigm, Klipsch, etc). If you don't want to spend alot of money, they have many quality entry-level systems available. But please, buy from a company known for engineering and building speakers (except Bose, of course, they're more known for mass advertising they have good speaker systems).
You also say you have a 6.1 "ceiling-mounted, Bose brackets) system. My mental image is a speaker mounted high, close to the ceiling. This is also not ideal since early reflections from sound bouncing off the ceiling and/or any close surfaces would smear the image and blur directional information.
I see from your profile you're an "audio enthusiast" and your current gear is good quality. With this new system it's time to step up to a new level with better speakers and retask the Sony's to another room or garage. This is coming from someone who works for Sony. Sony does many things right and have engineered high-end speakers in the past, but I've never been a fan of their Home Theater speaker systems. Good luck in whatever you choose to do.

Hank
08-13-2007, 08:38 AM
Actually these Sony speakers have a good sound, but, I agree it is time to change. I still have the constraint of mounting to the ceiling due to space. My home is just not suited for floor mounts. Concrete floors. I could come through the walls but that too creates some issues with the room layout. Understanding that I am not getting the best layout I still need ceiling mounts.

Thanks for you recommendation. By-the-way, do any of the speaker providers you suggested provide a ceiling/wall mounted speaker?

bfalls
08-13-2007, 05:10 PM
I believe all the manufacturers I've listed have in-wall/in-ceiling (architectural) series. If you are limited to small or in-walls, I'd go with in-walls. Little Bose-type speakers are always a compromise. It's just too difficult to get good mid-range out of a 3" or 4" speaker. Usually, especially with Bose there's a big hole in frequency response between the limits of the mid-range driver and the subwoofer (or bass module as Bose calls them). That's why you see Bose specs are given in +/- 10db instead of the usual +/- 3db. I have several pair of Legacy in-walls which supply good sound for in-walls. I hate to bash the small systems, or Bose, because I believe all systems have their place, but it would be a shame to use them with the other components you plan have. Pay a few extra buck to go with quality, especially with speakers, since they can provide more satisfaction/dollar than any other component.

musicman1999
08-14-2007, 04:12 AM
A couple of questions,first is having concrete floors your only reason for not having floorstanding speakers?and second have you heard better quality speakers?because it seems like a waste of money to buy all that nice gear and then badly compromise it but hooking up poor quality speakers.Speakers and how they are placed is the most important part of a good audio system,mounting tiny little speakers near the ceiling will give you maybe half of what you could be getting.Proper,good quality speakers,well set up can go places those Sony's are just not capable of.

bill

Hank
08-14-2007, 04:39 AM
No concrete isn't the only reason, the room layout is unique and creates many challenges.. I have heard better speakers. Floor speakers would have to be placed in walk ways and my wife who could care less about qyality of sound does care about the way her home looks. I know you guys don't have that problem. The compromise is ceiling mounted speakers. I am not familiar with "in-ceiling" speakers, their installion requirements, or cost. The Sony system was the best sound I could come up with at the time for ceiling mounted. (Brackets already installed - replaced a Bose 5:1 with a Sony 6:1). Sony speakers were setup with laser and db meter.