my mesa baron needs tubes but which ones ? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : my mesa baron needs tubes but which ones ?

alexthegreat
08-12-2007, 02:53 PM
hi every one im new at this so be gentle I have a mesa baron amp which is an awsome amp and after only 11 years I finally need to replace the tubes. they have to perfectly matched in every way I dont know much about tube audio just that it sound so much better to me than any solidstate, I hope I dont offend anyone with that statment. from what I understand the plate voltage has to be considered and I cant find anything about what the plate voltage should be and there is another thing mesa labled all the tubes with a color code mine have YEL on them, whats that mean? so as you can see I have a major probalm here. can any one help I do know the tubes in the amp are sovtek 5881 but everything I have read about the sovtek tubes arent so good so again I say any help would be great anyone can send me an email if you like to alexthegreatm62@hotmail.com

jrhymeammo
08-12-2007, 03:27 PM
If you need perfectly matched pair of sextets then I would call Kevin at UpScaleAudio. He should be able to get you a matching set. Doesnt look like you have much options, but Tung-Sol should offer better sound than Sovtek. Not sure how your Duncan is designed, but nornally KT-66 or 6L6GC cannot be substituted for others including 5881. It's not adsolutely neccesary to match all 12 power tubes. Just be sure to match all 6 tubes per side. Other sites offer a matching pair of Tung-Sol for less than $30, but I doubt they'll get you a pair of matching sextet. UpScaleAudio has them for $26 but I think they are priced per tube.

I would call him regardless and see what he can advise.

If you wanna know more about 5881, then I would install Duncan's Amp Tools TDSL Personal Edition for free. I think enjoymusic dot com has it. If you can't find it, search for a thread I started on this site called 'Free audio programs. No ipod promo please"

JRA

alexthegreat
08-12-2007, 03:55 PM
thanks for the info but I must say I have a different set of the 5881 in one side that I borrowed from a friend of mine and I can here a difference from one side to the other and mesa states in the book they all need to match did you look at the pic I posted

jrhymeammo
08-12-2007, 04:16 PM
Did you bias your tubes? It's defintely a keeper. How much do they put out? 60 watts per side? They look incredible and I miss playing music thru valve amp... Are you mixing different tubes on one side? I think you owe yourself to a pair of Tung-Sol Sextet.

JRA

Mr Peabody
08-12-2007, 06:41 PM
No doubt, your Mesa Baron is one to hold on to. When I started out looking for a tube amp that was one I wanted to look into after reading glowing reviews. Much to my disappointment I learned they were discontinued. I'd love to be able to hear it. One reviewer called it "the Krell of tube amps".

Sorry, I don't have your answer but maybe Feanor or Bernd would know.

alexthegreat
08-12-2007, 07:04 PM
I think its 60 watts in triode 150 watts pentode and triode mixed and 300 watts full pentode you cant mix the tubes its a must that they all be perfectly matched and yes I have biased the amp and check it from time to time

alexthegreat
08-12-2007, 07:06 PM
hi thanks for the responce I dont mean to sound like a dummy but who are these people and how can I contact them

jrhymeammo
08-12-2007, 07:41 PM
I dont know how much Feanor knows about power tubes, but I think E-Stat can help you with that. Either way, I would call Kevin with intent to puchase.

300watts with balanved inputs? Hmmmm.....

JRA

Mr Peabody
08-12-2007, 07:54 PM
http://www.r-type.org/exhib/aaa0451.htm

This link may help. Also, Frank Phillips home page is referenced and www.tubezone.com for info on the 5881. I also show the CK5881 & 5881WXT are like or close.

The guys I mentioned are members here. You could try member search and send personal message or they are usually around and should see your thread.

Best of luck.

alexthegreat
08-12-2007, 07:56 PM
I dont know how much Feanor knows about power tubes, but I think E-Stat can help you with that. Either way, I would call Kevin with intent to puchase.

300watts with balanved inputs? Hmmmm.....

JRA
thanks , and yes 300 watts thats what the book says do a search on the mesa baron you will find nothing but great reviews I have never heard anything better on my altec voice of the theater. alexthegreat

alexthegreat
08-12-2007, 08:17 PM
http://www.r-type.org/exhib/aaa0451.htm

This link may help. Also, Frank Phillips home page is referenced and www.tubezone.com for info on the 5881. I also show the CK5881 & 5881WXT are like or close.

The guys I mentioned are members here. You could try member search and send personal message or they are usually around and should see your thread.

Best of luck. thanks for all your help I will do as you have suggested and again many thanks alexthegreat