OK, so my town is nuts! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : OK, so my town is nuts!

GMichael
08-11-2007, 03:49 AM
It seems like every weekend the town I live in has some kind of a festival. Bear festivals, dear festivals, and beaver festivals and yes, even music festivals abound each weekend. I just walked to the local Grand Union and guess what I saw today. A huge banner proudly proclaims this weekend’s festival. It’s the festival of wood. Wood? Really? Doesn’t that sh.t grow on trees? Do they really need their own festival? And even if they do, wouldn’t it be like a save the rain forest type of thing? No, not here. All week they were chopping down trees along one street leading to a place called Grey Towers (walking distance for me). They left 6 foot high stumps for 2 blocks. Then one guy came in and carved into each stump. Now the road is lined with wooden bears, Indians, dear, town founders etc. They stained each one to look very realistic.
Yes, I now live in a strange town. Haven’t seen Opie yet though.

Feanor
08-11-2007, 09:04 AM
It seems like every weekend the town I live in has some kind of a festival. Bear festivals, dear festivals, and beaver festivals and yes, even music festivals abound each weekend. I just walked to the local Grand Union and guess what I saw today. A huge banner proudly proclaims this weekend’s festival. It’s the festival of wood. Wood? Really? Doesn’t that sh.t grow on trees? Do they really need their own festival? And even if they do, wouldn’t it be like a save the rain forest type of thing? No, not here. All week they were chopping down trees along one street leading to a place called Grey Towers (walking distance for me). They left 6 foot high stumps for 2 blocks. Then one guy came in and carved into each stump. Now the road is lined with wooden bears, Indians, dear, town founders etc. They stained each one to look very realistic.
Yes, I now live in a strange town. Haven’t seen Opie yet though.

I wonder why. No matter how great the sculptures, the trees were more magnificent no doubt. :confused5:

ForeverAutumn
08-11-2007, 10:52 AM
I guess the destruction of those trees rules out them having a Tree Festival next, eh?

PeruvianSkies
08-11-2007, 01:41 PM
First...what town do you live in?

Second, I must say that I applaud whomever efforts for getting activities like that going. I know that it might sound like a pain to live in a town where there are ALWAYS things happening, but it could be a dying town without any fun. It takes a lot of effort and coordination to get things like off the ground and if they are having them with some serious frequency it only means that they are doing well with them. As far as the tree thing is concerned...it's a bit weird, but I wish I lived in a town with fun stuff...all we get in the summer are a few parades with drunk firemen.

ForeverAutumn
08-11-2007, 08:04 PM
...all we get in the summer are a few parades with drunk firemen.

You make it sound like drunk firemen are a bad thing. :ihih:

PeruvianSkies
08-11-2007, 08:52 PM
You make it sound like drunk firemen are a bad thing. :ihih:

Well, to some it's probably a real husker-do time. Not me. I like artsy fartsy stuff, like antiques shows, renaissance festivals, etc.

GMichael
08-11-2007, 08:59 PM
First...what town do you live in?

Second, I must say that I applaud whomever efforts for getting activities like that going. I know that it might sound like a pain to live in a town where there are ALWAYS things happening, but it could be a dying town without any fun. It takes a lot of effort and coordination to get things like off the ground and if they are having them with some serious frequency it only means that they are doing well with them. As far as the tree thing is concerned...it's a bit weird, but I wish I lived in a town with fun stuff...all we get in the summer are a few parades with drunk firemen.

It's the town of Milford. Home to the HQ of Altec Lancing.
It's a very nice town. Tomorrow I'll try to post picks of the trees they murdered.

PeruvianSkies
08-11-2007, 11:52 PM
I would have shown up like this and been like "i'm Michael Caaaine.....now put those bloody trees back on the stumps where they belong you blooody lumberjacks."

GMichael
08-12-2007, 06:39 AM
Here are a few pics of what's left of these poor trees. Don't these people know that these trees may have had saplings to care for? Who will bring them up now? They could end up in homes, or worse, selling their trunks for Miracle-Gro.

GMichael
08-12-2007, 06:44 AM
Four score and seven years ago

GMichael
08-12-2007, 06:45 AM
Boo Boo! Where's Yogi?

GMichael
08-12-2007, 06:47 AM
Look, my wife is giving me the bird!

America
America.....

Feanor
08-12-2007, 07:46 AM
Look, my wife is giving me the bird!

America
America.....

The one on the left here isn't so bad ... oh, oh, wait: that's the one that's you wife.

Trees die for this hokey crap?? :incazzato: WTF? Surely they were diseased or somethng?

Rich-n-Texas
08-12-2007, 10:16 AM
Look at all that lush greenery in the background. I miss trees.

Rich-n-Texas
08-12-2007, 10:18 AM
Boo Boo! Where's Yogi?
So that's what's been raiding your kitchen GM? It's only a statue GM... only a statue.

GMichael
08-12-2007, 10:55 AM
:incazzato: WTF? Surely they were diseased or somethng?

Not that I noticed. :17:

GMichael
08-12-2007, 10:56 AM
Look at all that lush greenery in the background. I miss trees.

Our house is in a straight line behind those trees about 200 feet.

Rich-n-Texas
08-12-2007, 12:07 PM
Next time I'm at your house I'm going to bring my deer rifle okay?

jrhymeammo
08-12-2007, 01:50 PM
That's nothing. Japan has this stupid thing called "Penis Festival" to celebrate fertility....
http://gaijintonic.com/2007/04/02/penis-festival/

Feanor
08-12-2007, 02:51 PM
That's nothing. Japan has this stupid thing called "Penis Festival" to celebrate fertility....

... would be more aliterative.

GMichael
08-12-2007, 04:05 PM

At least they don't chop down penises to celibrate.

jrhymeammo
08-12-2007, 04:12 PM
http://www.treadwaygallery.com/ONLINECATALOGS/MAY04/modweb/0885.jpg

JRA

PeruvianSkies
08-12-2007, 04:34 PM
what a d1ckhead.

Rich-n-Texas
08-12-2007, 05:38 PM
So we've got nuts-n-d!cks all in one thread again. I told y'all before I'm NOT comfortable with this!

There's got to be a vagina festival going on somwhere in this world.

GMichael
08-12-2007, 06:27 PM
So we've got nuts-n-d!cks all in one thread again. I told y'all before I'm NOT comfortable with this!

There's got to be a vagina festival going on somwhere in this world.

That's at my house, every weekend. And Wednesday nights.

PeruvianSkies
08-12-2007, 07:15 PM
Ok,

So a tree/wood festival is a crazy idea ...right? Well, think about this...

What would have just been a small town little affair now has web-presence as we are discussing it, now we have pictures posted about it, and GMichael has given exposure to the event. It might sound like a crazy thing, but look at how effective the idea was...it generated tons of buzz and you even took a picture with your wife next to it...so who is really nuts?????

basite
08-13-2007, 03:00 AM

you gotta be kidding...

LMAO

ForeverAutumn
08-13-2007, 04:32 AM
Ok,

What would have just been a small town little affair now has web-presence as we are discussing it, now we have pictures posted about it, and GMichael has given exposure to the event. It might sound like a crazy thing, but look at how effective the idea was...it generated tons of buzz and you even took a picture with your wife next to it...so who is really nuts?????

I agree with PS on this one. I think that it's a shame that they cut down what must have been big, beautiful trees but it's only a few trees and it will benefit the town in the long run. Tourists will come to see these carvings and will take picture of them.

When we were in Nova Scotia many years ago, we took a side trip to this little town called Truro. Truro didn't have much to offer tourists, so in order to attrack people they painted all of their fire hydrants as art. The hydrant in front of the church was a nun; the hydrant in front of the police station was a cop; in front of the fire hall was a fireman. Well you get the idea. They were very well done and were all over the city.

This is probably the same type of thing. It will become something that people in the area will want to see and will come to the town to visit when they otherwise might not have.

GMichael
08-13-2007, 05:26 AM
Ok,

I thought that everyone here already knew that I was nuckin futs.
The town is also a little off. But they are harmless. OK, mostly harmless. We do get a ton of tourists every weekend. This quiet town, that looks half dead Monday through Thursday, is booming every weekend. The traffic gets so bad that walking becomes the fastest way around. It's all very nice. I just like joking around. And this place sure could used some extra traffic. Maybe we should have a music festival.

PARTY!!!

Feanor
08-13-2007, 06:13 AM
I agree with PS on this one. I think that it's a shame that they cut down what must have been big, beautiful trees but it's only a few trees and it will benefit the town in the long run. Tourists will come to see these carvings and will take picture of them.

When we were in Nova Scotia many years ago, we took a side trip to this little town called Truro. Truro didn't have much to offer tourists, so in order to attrack people they painted all of their fire hydrants as art. The hydrant in front of the church was a nun; the hydrant in front of the police station was a cop; in front of the fire hall was a fireman. Well you get the idea. They were very well done and were all over the city.

This is probably the same type of thing. It will become something that people in the area will want to see and will come to the town to visit when they otherwise might not have.

Could be what they were thinking but it's stupid reasoning:

These things are not great works of art: if fact they are vapid and ugly. Who would come to see them?
Lots of people will criticize the town for cutting down trees and at least as many will avoid the place on that account as will go to see them.
What are the consequences of a misjudgement? It took a day or two to cut down the trees and a couple of weeks to do the carving. But if you want the trees back it will take 50 years to replace them.Most often this sort of thing happens because the mayor's nephew needs a summer job, or something like that.

ForeverAutumn
08-13-2007, 06:40 AM
Could be what they were thinking but it's stupid reasoning:
These things are not great works of art: if fact they are vapid and ugly. Who would come to see them?

Art is subjective and that's your opinion. You're welcome to it but I don't think that you can speak for everyone. It appears to me that whoever sculpted those tree trunks is quite talented.

Who would go to see painted fire hydrants for that matter. Well...my husband and I did. So there.

Lots of people will criticize the town for cutting down trees and at least as many will avoid the place on that account as will go to see them.

Yes, lot's of people will criticize the town. I don't like that they did it, but it wouldn't keep me from visiting. I doubt that anyone who was planning on visiting this town is going to actually cancel their trip because the town cut down a few trees. If there are people like that, you can probably count them on one hand. I'll bet that more people will come to see the sculptures then will cancel their trip because of them.

What are the consequences of a misjudgement? It took a day or two to cut down the trees and a couple of weeks to do the carving. But if you want the trees back it will take 50 years to replace them.[/LIST]

True, it will take years to replace the trees. But it doesn't look to me like there's a real tree shortage in the neighbourhood. "The consequences of misjudgement"? Isn't that a little dramatic?

I don't know this for a fact, but I'm willing to bet that the town recycled the tree-tops somehow. Where do you think telephone poles come from? Do you have any wood furniture in your house? Heck, we burn a cord of wood a year to heat our house. It's cheaper and cleaner then relying on the local nuke plant.

You make it sound like they're clear cutting the whole town.

GMichael
08-13-2007, 07:12 AM
All of the trees that were cut down were along the same road. This whole area of town is owned by one family. They also own a popular restaurant and shopping area (all nick nacks and antiques). Trees are of plenty in this area. I doubt that anyone from outside the town would notice that these were cut down last week. Heck, even most of the people who do live in town wouldn't notice. We did, only because it's where we take our daily walk each evening. Most people would only see that there is now a sculpture there and would never know that it once was a tree stump. Of coarse, if anyone were to buy a wooden sculpture, it would have been a tree at one point as well. Stump or not. I guess that this way keeps people from stealing them.

Feanor
08-13-2007, 07:33 AM
Art is subjective and that's your opinion. You're welcome to it but I don't think that you can speak for everyone. It appears to me that whoever sculpted those tree trunks is quite talented.

Who would go to see painted fire hydrants for that matter. Well...my husband and I did. So there.
You make it sound like they're clear cutting the whole town.

A healthy tree chopped down is one too many.

Yep, it's my opinion the tree sculptures are "vapid and ugly" and I'll bet I'm not only one who thinks so. Any talent involved is of a low rung. It's the role of the critic to call it the way he sees it, and that's my call.

Some people are intreged by anything novel. Well, we have a few of these tree sculptures here in London so they're not even novel from my perspective. (The ones here are a bit less ugly but about as vapid.)

If the Truro folks get fed up with the fire hydrants the problem can be fixed with a case of spray paint. I rest my case on that one.

Agent 'K' in Men in Black ...

A person can be smart, but people are stupid.

Feanor
08-13-2007, 07:45 AM
All of the trees that were cut down were along the same road. This whole area of town is owned by one family. They also own a popular restaurant and shopping area (all nick nacks and antiques). Trees are of plenty in this area. I doubt that anyone from outside the town would notice that these were cut down last week. Heck, even most of the people who do live in town wouldn't notice. We did, only because it's where we take our daily walk each evening. Most people would only see that there is now a sculpture there and would never know that it once was a tree stump. Of coarse, if anyone were to buy a wooden sculpture, it would have been a tree at one point as well. Stump or not. I guess that this way keeps people from stealing them.

This debate is ALL your fault, GM, so bear with me.

I'll bet the rich family is burning the timbre for fire wood as we speak, but I bet the town paid to cut down the trees.

They might not be stolen but they'll likey attract graffiti.

GMichael
08-13-2007, 07:53 AM

Yep, it's my opinion the tree sculptures are "vapid and ugly" and I'll bet I'm not only one who thinks so. Any talent involved is of a low rung. It's the role of the critic to call it the way he sees it, and that's my call.

Some people are intreged by anything novel. Well, we have a few of these tree sculptures here in London so they're not even novel from my perspective. (The ones here are a bit less ugly but about as vapid.)

If the Truro folks get fed up with the fire hydrants the problem can be fixed with a case of spray paint. I rest my case on that one.

Does this mean that you aren't coming to visit?

GMichael
08-13-2007, 07:54 AM
This debate is ALL your fault, GM, so bear with me.

I'll bet the rich family is burning the timbre for fire wood as we speak, but I bet the town paid to cut down the trees.

They might not be stolen but they'll likey attract graffiti.

You just had to say BEAR, didn't you?

ForeverAutumn
08-13-2007, 07:54 AM

So I guess you have no wood furniture in your house and you've never had a real Christmas tree.

Don't get me wrong...I'm not anti-tree. I'm not disputing your position, you're entirely entitled to think that way and I'm not even venturing to change your mind. In fact I agree that the town probably could have found a better way to decorate this road side. I just think that it's unrealistic to think that we shouldn't ever chop down a healthy tree.

What I would have liked to see the town do (and it's not too late) if they're gonna cut down these trees, is to plant new ones to replace them.

GMichael
08-13-2007, 08:07 AM
OK, before we all go too far, (we are friends here ya know) these trees were very close to the road. My guess is that they were starting to get involved with the power lines a little too often. Also, behind me, when I took these pics, is a huge Park. There are trees a plenty. In fact, much of PA is Park land where trees enjoy protection from hunters. Just as Yogi does.
I just thought it was ironic that a wood festival would be celebrated by chopping down trees. I would have thought that it would have been a bunch of tree huggers getting together to talk about how to save the African rain forests. That's what I get for thinking. This thread was only meant to make people laugh at how ironic it all sounded.

ForeverAutumn
08-13-2007, 08:46 AM
OK, before we all go too far, (we are friends here ya know) these trees were very close to the road. My guess is that they were starting to get involved with the power lines a little too often. Also, behind me, when I took these pics, is a huge Park. There are trees a plenty. In fact, much of PA is Park land where trees enjoy protection from hunters. Just as Yogi does.
I just thought it was ironic that a wood festival would be celebrated by chopping down trees. I would have thought that it would have been a bunch of tree huggers getting together to talk about how to save the African rain forests. That's what I get for thinking. This thread was only meant to make people laugh at how ironic it all sounded.

I was laughing. Just a little innocent banter on a boring Monday morning. I meant no offense to anyone.

Feanor
08-13-2007, 10:22 AM
I was laughing. Just a little innocent banter on a boring Monday morning. I meant no offense to anyone.

Yeah, once in a while a good tree has to go. I'd just feel better if it were for power lines rather than (ugly(?)) tree sculptures. Believe me, I have no isssue with you or GM.

BTW, I have used a fake Christmas tree for twenty years or so. As for my furniture, most of it isn't real wood, it's mostly particle board, (where ever that comes from -- muhahahaha). :cornut:

GMichael
08-13-2007, 10:25 AM
Next time I'm at your house I'm going to bring my deer rifle okay?

They are protected and have more rights than we do.

ForeverAutumn
08-13-2007, 10:56 AM
As for my furniture, most of it isn't real wood, it's mostly particle board, (where ever that comes from -- muhahahaha). :cornut:

:yikes:

At least real wood furniture can maintain some of the original beauty of the wood. But particle board is just ground up and reformed wood. Oh the horror. THE HORROR!!!

:yikes:

kexodusc
08-13-2007, 11:10 AM
Actually quite a few varieties of particle board are among the most inefficient uses of whole trees, ie more trees needed to make X amount of material

I wonder if burning a cord of wood is really cleaner than the direct amount of waste resulting from nuclear power attributable to one household? For my part, I burn 2 cords of wood in my modern & efficient wood stove.

BTW, how many trees do ya suppose David Suzuki is directly responsible for cutting down in releasing his autobiography? :D

ForeverAutumn
08-13-2007, 11:38 AM
I wonder if burning a cord of wood is really cleaner than the direct amount of waste resulting from nuclear power attributable to one household? For my part, I burn 2 cords of wood in my modern & efficient wood stove.

Well, I don't know about that, but at least I don't have to distribute iodine pills to my neighbours "just in case". And if my wood stove blows up, my whole neighbourhood won't become the next Chernobyl.

BTW, how many trees do ya suppose David Suzuki is directly responsible for cutting down in releasing his autobiography?

LOL. I'm sure it's on recycled paper. :wink5:

GMichael
08-13-2007, 11:53 AM
Actually quite a few varieties of particle board are among the most inefficient uses of whole trees, ie more trees needed to make X amount of material

I :D

Isn't part of that due to them not using the whole tree to make up the particle board?
1 tree makes up x number of 2x4's, y number of 4x4's, z number of tellipolls. What's left over gets pulvrized and made int MDF?

Rich-n-Texas
08-13-2007, 12:13 PM
Sadly, my living room is becoming a collection of particle board, u-build it furniture that's covered with paper-thin vinyl made to resemble woodgrain. I'll tell you what though, that stuff is very solid and heavy. I never have to worry about putting too much weight on it. Yeah, and it's cheap too!

kexodusc
08-13-2007, 12:30 PM
Isn't part of that due to them not using the whole tree to make up the particle board?
1 tree makes up x number of 2x4's, y number of 4x4's, z number of tellipolls. What's left over gets pulvrized and made int MDF?
One would think, it would be that simple. There's a few mills in my neck of the woods that are often targets of protests and stuff because they don't use the scraps - it's not like sausage factories. One I'm thinking of in particular makes OSB, and kills whole trees. I'm sure a lot of them are just as guilty. They don't advertise it though.

I think MDF is more chemical than would, not really sure though? It's nasty stuff.

PeruvianSkies
08-13-2007, 10:55 PM
One would think, it would be that simple. There's a few mills in my neck of the woods that are often targets of protests and stuff because they don't use the scraps - it's not like sausage factories. One I'm thinking of in particular makes OSB, and kills whole trees. I'm sure a lot of them are just as guilty. They don't advertise it though.

I think MDF is more chemical than would, not really sure though? It's nasty stuff.

Let's put it this way...you wouldn't want to roast hot dogs over a fire that was started with a set of speakers.

GMichael
08-14-2007, 05:13 AM

It's bad enough when cut up with a saw, but start up that electric sander and woah baby.
Breath... gasp... I can't breath....

GMichael
08-14-2007, 05:14 AM
Let's put it this way...you wouldn't want to roast hot dogs over a fire that was started with a set of speakers.

Chem-a-dogs?

ForeverAutumn
08-14-2007, 05:27 AM
MDF is probably no worse than what's already in those hotdogs. :shocked:

Rich-n-Texas
08-14-2007, 05:34 AM
Good point. That's why I only eat Hebrew National hot dogs. The ingredients are at the very least kosher.

GMichael
08-14-2007, 05:47 AM
MDF is probably no worse than what's already in those hotdogs. :shocked:

One of the main ingredients in MDF is formaldehyde. Even hot dogs don't have embalming fluid in them, I hope.:yikes:

ForeverAutumn
08-14-2007, 06:16 AM
Good point. That's why I only eat Hebrew National hot dogs. The ingredients are at the very least kosher.

Hebrew Nationals are my husbands favourite dogs, but ever since the beef embargo over mad cow disease, we can't get them in Canada.

Rich-n-Texas
08-14-2007, 06:56 AM
Hebrew Nationals are my husbands favourite dogs, but ever since the beef embargo over mad cow disease, we can't get them in Canada.
How ironic is that!?

They sell them at the baseball stadiums down here too.