3:10 to YUMA.... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : 3:10 to YUMA....

PeruvianSkies
08-10-2007, 12:09 PM
Anyone interested in seeing the remake of 3:10 TO YUMA starring Russell Crowe and Christian Bale? Looks somewhat interesting. We just had a discussion not too long back about the absence of The Western in pop-culture....maybe this is a return???

http://media.movieweb.com/galleries/3728/2534/lo/ChristianBale.jpg

jim goulding
08-28-2007, 07:28 PM
guess I can see Russell Crowe as a western type dude ok but have less confidence in Christian Bale. Loved him in Batman Begins, tho. I don't get what an Aussie and a Brit are doing in an American western in the first place. Sometimes I wonder what these studio execs are thinking.

Saw a bitter little outback western called "The Proposition" with Guy Pearce and an interesting cast and I liked Tommie Lee Jones' effort the "Three Burials of, etc". Really liked the way that mexican chick with the broken nose got a little payback from the deputy. Thought that mexcan bar where TLJ made a phone call was the coolest little watering hole. Wouldn't mind if I did. It was the lighting, I think.

Just my opinion.

Kam
09-17-2007, 09:09 AM
saw it, loved it.
reccomended!!
caveat , i'm a huge christian bale fan, one of my fav actors, and he was phenomenal in it. great tale about this farmer doing what he can and the motivation you think is driving him through this journey.

Worf101
09-20-2007, 08:04 AM
Good Western, loved the flick. While you may think of it as a classic western "road" picture it's much more than that. The centerpiece of the film actually revolves around Bales relationship with his 14 year old son who, despite his having been wounded in the Civil War, feels his father is a weak sniveling man. Crowe is delightfully understated in his role as "Ben Wade", the outlaw NOT the pipe maker. He woos women slyly, kills men ruthlessly and has no compunctions about killing anything that moves.

Peter Fonda does a nice turn as muderous Pinkerton Man. All in all I liked the movie although I must say that the ending had me scratchin' my head a bit. I give it a B-Plus.

Da Worfster

Kam
09-20-2007, 10:42 AM
SPOILERS! ENDING DISCUSSION!!
i loved the ending! From the moment where Wade gets the drop on Bale, and is about to kill him, and Bale reveals the truth about his wound to him it totally made the movie for me, and gave redemption to both characters. Bale wasn't doing it for money (primarily, though he cut a great deal in the process) but for his son to have something to hold on to about his dad.

for wade, the only true sacrifice was eliminating his entire crew. going to Yuma was no sacrifice, as he's escaped twice, he willingly got on that train, especially when bale's son said, 'you did it, you got him on that train' knowing that going there would give the money to bale's family AND the esteem and honor it would give to bale's son. wade will break out of yuma again, but he did the 'right' thing in getting on that train. And... his mini-prediction was right in the exchange...

bale: 'we're not friends'
wade: 'when the trains 5 mins away you'll think differently' (or something far more eloquent than that).

And Charlie Prince killed his friend, so wade responded the only way he knew how, killing them all. as charlie would have killed the son as well. and the son was right about wade in the end, he wasn't all bad.

Worf101
09-20-2007, 02:52 PM
SPOILER ALERT!!!!

Now I fully got everything you said up until the time he killed his gang. I can only assume he killed them cause he was no long ruthless enough to lead them. He told the boy in the room that he couldn't lead that band of cuthroats if he wasn't the biggest dick on the block. He'd lost that edge, he could no longer kill everyone in cold blood so... he had to eliminate them before they eliminated him. Not much love for the Railroad I see.

Da Worfster