Thanking Jack70 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Thanking Jack70

Hyfi
02-24-2004, 08:21 AM
Jack,
Thanks for the disks. Really enjoyed the fems volume. I was also excited to hear the track by Annette Peacock. I never heard anything besides the work she did on the Bruford disk. She has such a dreamy voice. Is her work similar to this track?

Off topic.... When I was recording tapes to hard drive, i made a cell phone call. When I went to edit the wav file, it looked funny. When I listened to it, it was my phone conversation and not the music I was recording. What happened? Did the record head pick up my cell call and override the tape?

Thanks,

Hyfi

jack70
02-24-2004, 12:38 PM
Jack,
Thanks for the disks. Really enjoyed the fems volume. I was also excited to hear the track by Annette Peacock. I never heard anything besides the work she did on the Bruford disk. She has such a dreamy voice. Is her work similar to this track?

Off topic.... When I was recording tapes to hard drive, i made a cell phone call. When I went to edit the wav file, it looked funny. When I listened to it, it was my phone conversation and not the music I was recording. What happened? Did the record head pick up my cell call and override the tape?

Thanks,

Hyfi
Annette almost didn't make the (my) cut on that comp... she's not really a bluesy artist, at least in the traditional way, and much of her stuff is too weird for most listeners, but I wanted to get her in there cause she's really an icon in what's she's acomplished. (read my online notes), and she's likewise pretty marginalized (like all the others)... just ask most people if they've heard many of those women's albums.

Her Bruford related stuff is some of her most accessable, but it was more well-known and more proggy, so I (of course) went for the more obscure stuff. I don't know if you'd like much of her other things, as they get into the more jazzy, free jazz, and avant-garde/classical sounds... and more spacey, which is not what I was aiming at (so much) on that comp.

I'm actually surprised you liked it, as it's perhaps the furthest away from the more traditional sounding things there. Of course, the thing I always find interesting about comps is that it's usually the things you least expect people to like... that they react to best. ::QED.

As for the cell phone stuff... sounds to me like a simple RF intrusion into the PC. The PC is not shielded very well (at all),and a cell phone, at least really close probably puts out a real mess of RF garbage, with all sorts of modulated sidebands and junk. Remember the studies about cancer from using cell phones? It's a real possibility (if overused) because of the (relatively high) RF power at that close distance).

The airwaves today are FILLED with noise. I have an ex-FBI Ham operator down the street that can screw up my system if he's working on certain sidebands. I can hear interferance from many remote-control devices... from cell phones... from phone link-hubs... from broadband hubs... from satellite up/downlinks... from TV and radio... from the new emergency freq's allocations, etc etc. It's a real challenge when working with low level amplifiers like some of my moving coil head-amps or tube front ends (that like to amplify RF signals along with the audio ones... they don't know the difference LOL)

Bottom line... when a system like that (low level audio recording soundcard) gets bombarded by a strong signal (high energy) it's (circuitry) is liable to amplify it too. You could do the same thing by yelling right on your LP's cartridge to induce a signal in that system... or tap you fingers on the turntable's plynth. Same basic physics involved. The simple solution... don't use yer cell phone...LOL. Glad you liked Ms Peacock.