Steely Dan Aja Reissue [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Steely Dan Aja Reissue

BRANDONH
08-10-2007, 10:40 AM
I decided to post it here too because it will be buried under a million CD's in the Rave Recordings section in an hour or so and since its is analog so here it is...

STEELY DAN AJA
Cisco Music 30th anniversary reissue
Remastered by Kevin Gray & Robert Pincus

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f44/theboykid/AjaL.jpg

This is not a music review but instead a review of the Vinyl pressing itself.
Here there will not be a 1-10 scale I do not believe in those.

Although not a big fan of Steely Dan, decided to get this album anyway.
Reasons being that:
1. Did not have Steely Dan in the record collection,
2. It received a glowing review from Michael Fremer,
3. Cisco Music reissues of the best sounding pressings on the market.

The familiar music did bring on a rush of old memories, like working on some kind of Boy Scout merit badge and skating at the roller rink.
It also reminded me this genre was not my particular taste back in 1977; was more interested in listening to Boston, Kiss, ZZ Top, Areosmith, Thin Lizzy, Black Sabbath and such. Now older, I can appreciate the Steely Dan group’s musicianship and realize they set out to create a great sounding record in Aja.

Album cover:
very nice (and very shiny) gatefold cover which was immaculate and demanded handlers use cotton gloves so as not to smudge it, absent handy gloves, it took a quick polish with a soft cotton cloth.
With a 4 digit S/N indicated ( mine is 4582) on the backside, though it does not indicate how many pressings there will be i.e.1 / 1000 or say 1 / 9999 (which I like to see)

Inside:
a heavy paperboard record sleeve with the lyrics and credits and a paper poly-lined record sleeve, which the album was actually in.

Vinyl:
Weight is 180 gram, perfectly flat, not dead silent at first (very few albums are when first played). Take note new vinyl surface noise will usually diminish with time, as the diamond will polish the grove.
The hole was centered so no run out was visible.
Side one label was a bit off center, not that it matters.

The Genre:
A touch of mid seventies disco, nightclub-like blues.

The Sound:
Just after 10 minutes of listening, it came clear as to why Cisco Music chose this particular album for reissue and, as with all their records was chosen carefully and rightfully so.
Detailed audiophile quality, every song engages your senses and your emotions. This album was masterfully re-mastered and has all the classic sound that Cisco Music has come to be famous for- warmth, musicality, no detail left out, and no over equalization or compression.
The brass horn sections sounded wonderful. The Trumpet or Coronet (not too sure on that) was clear and non-obtrusive. The percussion has a dynamic impact with a believable bass drum; it will grab your attention.
Realistically clear, vocals are focused and center stage.
In addition, in Deacon Blues the Tenor Saxophone played by Pete Christlieb sounded so real I almost jumped from the chair. The Electric Piano sounded very good as well…Not a big fan of the sound of the Electric Piano but I liked this one.
The electric guitar sound gets the gold medal a true and direct sound, as if the guitar amp is sitting on your living room floor.

This Cisco Music Reissue is a must have in your collection even if you already have the original. You will at least want the 30th anniversary edition, so in another 30 years you can say you were there both times.
If interested in acquiring a copy of this wonderful pressing please take the time to visit Cisco Music.
http://www.ciscomusic.com/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=434

Woochifer
08-14-2007, 06:17 PM
Good to know ...

Great recording! I have a documentary on the making of that album -- truly fanatical attention to every little detail. This was very much a studio project, and everything was scrutinized to the most minute degree with take after take on every note. In a way, this is very much the antithesis of both rock and jazz alike, both of which generally rely on spontaneity and/or improvisation. Yet, the album works at many levels despite how incredibly deliberate it is.

A friend of mine had a Mobile Fidelity half-speed mastered pressing of this album, and the level of detail in the recording is breathtaking. We used to play that pressing on various high end audio rigs, and man did it ever sound good.

A few years ago, F*gan and Becker wanted to do a 5.1 remix and reissue Aja on SACD, but apparently the original multitrack master tapes for "Black Cow," "Deacon Blue," and "Aja" are missing. So, no go on the reissue. Too bad, because it would have been interesting to see if they could've further improved the mixdown by mixing in high res digital rather than analog tapes.