What to do with old speakers and pre amp? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : What to do with old speakers and pre amp?

coe6688
02-24-2004, 07:16 AM
I have a pair of B&W DM620i speakers and a Dynaco Pas 3 pre amp that has the AVA Hifi modification (was on Stereo Reviews recommended copmonents list for years). I don't like either one though and they have been sitting is storage for over 4 years now. I would like to put a HT system together. I'm really not into movies that much but I have a daughter who is getting older and will soon appreciate a nice setup. I think I can sell the pre amp on eBay and get around $350-400 for it. I don't know about the speakers. I am afraid they aren't worth selling because they would go for so little, maybe not? They would be for movies, I certainly don't plan on listening to CDs with them, only movies. If I sold the pre amp, I would probably use the money on an Onkyo HT reciever. But what about the rear speakers, center channel, sub? I don't want to spend much money. What do you guys out there think? Any suggestions. Thanks.

poneal
02-24-2004, 07:45 AM
Yes, ebay, audiogon, audioholics and here have boards that allow you to post your gear for sale. These will probably be your best bet. Just make sure you get your money before you ship the equipment. Not all people are honest! The easiest and usually cheaper route to take is to buy an audio video receiver referred to as an AVR. Onkyo makes good mid-fi AVRs along with Yamaha, Harman Kardon and many more. Onkyo is well know for there strong amp section. I'll leave the speakers up to you because you really do need to go and listen and pick the ones that sound best to you. IMO that if you have some basic building skills that the DIY route would for speakers would save you some money and have a better quality unit. Some of these kits require only an hour to put together and cost much less and sound better than there equivalent counterparts. Here is a link from the learn board on this site:

http://www.audioreview.com/Learncrx.aspx

This is Ed Frias' design. Ed comes around here every once in awhile and if you post a question with his name on it he will most likely respond. Sealed built his DIY subwoofer from parts express. Here is a link to his article:

http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=1855

If this one is too big, then they have smaller kits also.

I personally built my own passive subwoofer from the MKII Titanic 12" sub from parts express. Had a coworker build the box and I did the rest such as sanding, priming, painting, etc.

With HT you will want 6 speakers for 5.1. They are as follows:

front left
front right
center
surround left
surround right
subwoofer

With a receiver, you will want efficient speakers that are easy to drive. Look for 89db or higher SPL at 1 meter at 1 watt and 8ohm efficiency ratings. For a basic HT system you really only need the AVR, DVD, and speakers. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask.

agtpunx40
02-24-2004, 09:14 AM
send em to me.