Which "Kong" is King? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Which "Kong" is King?

Worf101
08-08-2007, 08:37 AM
Okay folks... who's the biggest, baddest ape of all? No holds barred, no quarter asked, none given....

Stop action vs. man in a monkey suit vs. CGI takes yer pick.

Da Worfster

GMichael
08-08-2007, 08:46 AM
The Grape Ape.

kexodusc
08-08-2007, 09:07 AM
My personal favorite Kong is Donkey, but given the choices, I have to take the 2005 version. The others were probably more influential for sure, but just didn't do as much for me. Which is sad because KK 2005 really didn't wow me either. Too many Jurassic Park movies probably killed this concept for me.
KK vs Godzilla holds a special place in my heart though.
Who knew electricity made King Kong stronger?

Rich-n-Texas
08-08-2007, 09:27 AM
My personal favorite Kong is Donkey, but given the choices, I have to take the 2005 version. The others were probably more influential for sure, but just didn't do as much for me. Which is sad because KK 2005 really didn't wow me either. Too many Jurassic Park movies probably killed this concept for me.
KK vs Godzilla holds a special place in my heart though.
Who knew electricity made King Kong stronger?
Hey GM. Notice Kex is developing quite a sense of humor? We're just that good! :yesnod:

My vote is for KK 1933. The animation for Kong in the 2005 version was incredible, but I'll never give Jack Black any credibility as an actor. SNL regular? Maybe, but that's it.

I watched the first one when I was a little kid and it's always had a very special place in my memory. The Wizard of Oz is another one, but that's a different topic.

Rich-n-Texas
08-08-2007, 09:28 AM
The Grape Ape.
Wasn't that a cartoon character? :idea:

GMichael
08-08-2007, 09:32 AM
Wasn't that a cartoon character? :idea:

Yeah? So?

Worf101
08-08-2007, 10:37 AM
The Grape Ape.
Poor man's "Magilla Gorilla" with even less eloquence (if that's possible). What is it with Hanna Barbera and talking animals in the first place?

Da Worfster

GMichael
08-08-2007, 10:43 AM
Poor man's "Magilla Gorilla" with even less eloquence (if that's possible). What is it with Hanna Barbera and talking animals in the first place?

Da Worfster

But, couldn't he fly? None of the others could do that.

OOOHHHHHH GEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE........

Rich-n-Texas
08-08-2007, 02:40 PM
Yeah? So?
noreason

kexodusc
08-08-2007, 03:43 PM
Hey GM. Notice Kex is developing quite a sense of humor? We're just that good! :yesnod:

Pffff....you're just new here.

RoyY51
08-08-2007, 04:28 PM
Seeing 1933's stop-motion Kong (Ray Harryhausen?) affected me in a way that little has since. My 10-year-old self was absolutely glued to the screen. I didn't know stop-motion from Shineola, and didn't care. All I knew was that something wonderful was happening within that 13" box. Considering that my movie preferences have remained the same since, (sci-fi / adventure) it would seem that the effects of this story of the original Odd Couple were both profound and permanent.

What I would give to be that 10-year-old time traveler, just once more.

GMichael
08-08-2007, 04:41 PM
Pffff....you're just new here.

Very true.

Hey Tex, Kex does joke around a lot. Every second Wednesday of the month he comes out of his shell.

Rich-n-Texas
08-08-2007, 05:49 PM
Seeing 1933's stop-motion Kong (Ray Harryhausen?) affected me in a way that little has since. My 10-year-old self was absolutely glued to the screen. I didn't know stop-motion from Shineola, and didn't care. All I knew was that something wonderful was happening within that 13" box. Considering that my movie preferences have remained the same since, (sci-fi / adventure) it would seem that the effects of this story of the original Odd Couple were both profound and permanent.

What I would give to be that 10-year-old time traveler, just once more.
I don't know how many times I've said that to myself. :(

So, it's neck-n-neck with the '33 version & the '05 version. We needs a tie-breaker!

Smokey
08-08-2007, 06:10 PM
So, it's neck-n-neck with the '33 version & the '05 version. We needs a tie-breaker!

Guess I break the tie. RoyY51 said it best in regard to 1933 movie. The photo of King Kong on top of empire state building with airplanes hovering close by, is an cultural icon around the world.

http://www.humanities.uci.edu/americanstudies/kingkong.jpg

PeruvianSkies
08-08-2007, 06:50 PM
What about MIGHTY JOE YOUNG? Both versions? Which by the way the 1949 version of this film is the work of Ray Harryhausen, not the 1933 Kong since Ray would have been 13 at the time of that release, but hey....that's coming from a guy who sometimes knows a bit about film.

eisforelectronic
08-08-2007, 08:55 PM
Thrilla gorilla

Rich-n-Texas
08-09-2007, 05:13 AM
What about MIGHTY JOE YOUNG? Both versions? Which by the way the 1949 version of this film is the work of Ray Harryhausen, not the 1933 Kong since Ray would have been 13 at the time of that release
Jeeeez... I completely forgot about Mighty Joe (although not a choice here). I loved that Gorilla more than Kong. Think I'll queue it up.

...but hey....that's coming from a guy who sometimes knows a bit about film.
Who ya talking about?

PeruvianSkies
08-09-2007, 01:01 PM
Here are some other ape-related movies ....

THE APE (1940)
GORILLAS IN THE MIST: THE STORY OF DIAN FOSSEY (1988)
KOKO: A TALKING GORILLA (1978)
CONGO (1995)
ANY WHICH WAY YOU CAN (1980)
EVERY WHICH WAY BUT LOOSE (1978)
PROJECT X (1987)
THE MONKEYS UNCLE (1965)
PLANET OF THE APES (1968) All of the sequels.
THE APE MAN (1943)
GOING APE (1981)
ANIMAL BEHAVIOR (1989)
MONKEY SHINES (1988)
DUNSTON CHECKS IN (1996)
ED (1996) Probably one of the worst movies on the list, any list that is.
MONKEY TROUBLE (1994)
CURIOUS GEORGE (2006)
MVP: MOST VALUABLE PRIMATE (2000)
BUDDY (1997)

http://www.skipwilliams.com/images/not_mine/koko-1.2.jpg

GMichael
08-09-2007, 01:48 PM
Left turn Clyde.

PeruvianSkies
08-09-2007, 09:42 PM
I personally don't think that you can compare the 1933 KING KONG with the 2005 version of the film. This type of comparison is just far too complex because we are dealing with 72 years of technological breakthrough between the two films. Anytime you are comparing a classic with a modern re-telling there are factors that make it nearly impossible to compare. The first hurdle is the fact that if you don't have an original to work with than a re-make is impossible to make. Without the inspiration behind the original than there would be no remake.

The updated version of KING KONG just took the plot structure, added new special effects, and that's it! Now, to the newer films credit I personally felt that the special effects that we have in 2005 enabled the filmmakers to take us into a world that we had never seen before. The special effects in this film were just superb. I also realized how great the Dinosaurs looked and if you compare them with the effects in 1993 with JURASSIC PARK, you can see how far effects have come even in the past 12 years. Although, to JURASSIC PARKS credit...those Dinos looked great!!

So what else makes it difficult to compare? Well, other technical aspects make each film accessible for different reasons. The 1933 version is b&w with no advanced soundtrack and sound effects to really heighten the experience. The action scenes look fake by todays standards and the film mainly serves as an Icon with a nostalgic feel for those that grew up on that KONG.

What I appreciated about the 2005 KING KONG was the 'heart' that the film had. There were some really great empathetic moments in the film where it was patient enough to make us care for our characters...and care for KONG. By doing so, we are emotionally attached during the famous EMPIRE STATE BUILDING scene. I really didn't care for the 1976 film, which took far too many liberties and really made the film play up the Man Vs. Animal theme. Oddly enough the tagline for the 1976 film was this...

The most exciting original motion picture event of all time.

Can you believe they had the guts to call this film original?? How dare they!!! In many ways this film was just another plot with a giant Gorilla named KONG...it really doesn't contain the original storyline and suffers because of it.

Rich-n-Texas
08-10-2007, 04:53 AM
Left turn Clyde.
"Gawdammit! Git off ma propity!"

Thanks PS! More great movie suggestions. I don't think I'll be getting the "Your queue needs attention" message from Blockbuster for a while. :thumbsup:

Rich-n-Texas
08-10-2007, 04:56 AM
Guess I break the tie. RoyY51 said it best in regard to 1933 movie. The photo of King Kong on top of empire state building with airplanes hovering close by, is an cultural icon around the world.

http://www.humanities.uci.edu/americanstudies/kingkong.jpg
Tied up @ 4 a piece Smokey. Now what? :)

GMichael
08-10-2007, 09:14 AM
I personally don't think that you can compare the 1933 KING KONG with the 2005 version of the film. This type of comparison is just far too complex because we are dealing with 72 years of technological breakthrough between the two films. Anytime you are comparing a classic with a modern re-telling there are factors that make it nearly impossible to compare. The first hurdle is the fact that if you don't have an original to work with than a re-make is impossible to make. Without the inspiration behind the original than there would be no remake.

The updated version of KING KONG just took the plot structure, added new special effects, and that's it! Now, to the newer films credit I personally felt that the special effects that we have in 2005 enabled the filmmakers to take us into a world that we had never seen before. The special effects in this film were just superb. I also realized how great the Dinosaurs looked and if you compare them with the effects in 1993 with JURASSIC PARK, you can see how far effects have come even in the past 12 years. Although, to JURASSIC PARKS credit...those Dinos looked great!!

So what else makes it difficult to compare? Well, other technical aspects make each film accessible for different reasons. The 1933 version is b&w with no advanced soundtrack and sound effects to really heighten the experience. The action scenes look fake by todays standards and the film mainly serves as an Icon with a nostalgic feel for those that grew up on that KONG.

What I appreciated about the 2005 KING KONG was the 'heart' that the film had. There were some really great empathetic moments in the film where it was patient enough to make us care for our characters...and care for KONG. By doing so, we are emotionally attached during the famous EMPIRE STATE BUILDING scene. I really didn't care for the 1976 film, which took far too many liberties and really made the film play up the Man Vs. Animal theme. Oddly enough the tagline for the 1976 film was this...

The most exciting original motion picture event of all time.

Can you believe they had the guts to call this film original?? How dare they!!! In many ways this film was just another plot with a giant Gorilla named KONG...it really doesn't contain the original storyline and suffers because of it.

Just reach inside and tell us what you're gut says.

Smokey
08-10-2007, 04:45 PM
Tied up @ 4 a piece Smokey. Now what? :)

Blame Worf for this mess http://forums.torrentspy.com/images/smilies/wtcslap.gif

If he had included the all important 1962 movie King Kong Vs Godzilla in the poll, we wouldn't have a tie :cornut:

Rich-n-Texas
08-10-2007, 06:26 PM
paul_pci's lurking in this thread right now!

PeruvianSkies
08-10-2007, 06:38 PM
Probably the only two films that I would or could HIGHLY recommend people watch out of the list of ape-like films is Barbet Shroeder's KOKO: A TALKING GORILLA and George Romero's under-appreciated MONKEY SHINES.

One other film that I kinda forgot to mention was OUTBREAK.

kelsci
08-11-2007, 09:23 AM
Smokey; King Kong Vs Gojira is that 1962 film.

I like the 1933 version perhaps the best. Something from the movies made in the thirties stand out even today. I think the Surround EX track in the 2005 movie is stunning as well as the special effects. Heck I even sort of like that 1962 K.K. vs Godzilla as a cheesy flick. I actually saw that on opening day in 1962 with a friend. The hell with the 1976 K.K., The only thing DeLaurentis did was produce a lovely daughter who cooks on the food channel.

Worf101
08-12-2007, 03:35 PM
Blame Worf for this mess http://forums.torrentspy.com/images/smilies/wtcslap.gif

If he had included the all important 1962 movie King Kong Vs Godzilla in the poll, we wouldn't have a tie :cornut:
Leave the saloon every once in a while Festus... Miss Kitty can live without you.... The film with the funny JAPANESE TITLE, quess what film THAT is!!!!!!! :yesnod:

God I love this forum... I even come here on weekends for dis abuse!!!

Da Worfster

bobsticks
08-12-2007, 06:19 PM
I couldn't help myself. I must instigate.

While I agree that the snaps from the original are iconic I'm lovin' me some hi-def monkey.

And also FWIW (very little), I loved Mighty Joe Young as a kid as well as Outbreak. I never realized until this thread how much I like movies about our primate brothers.

PeruvianSkies
08-12-2007, 09:18 PM
I couldn't help myself. I must instigate.

While I agree that the snaps from the original are iconic I'm lovin' me some hi-def monkey.

And also FWIW (very little), I loved Mighty Joe Young as a kid as well as Outbreak. I never realized until this thread how much I like movies about our primate brothers.

Monkeys, apes, etc are easier to work with when it comes to making movies...I am sure that if people could get Lions, Tigers, or Bears to be more cooperate and not eat the trainer...there would be more movies about them as well, instead of the fake digital ones. Of course, when we are talking about KONG, none of them have been real, but the 2005 version sure did look good, very convincing and what I particularly loved about the film was the personality that came through on KONGS part...we could see emotion, we could feel his pain, it was very effective.

GMichael
08-16-2007, 09:41 AM
I really enjoyed the 1933 movie because you could tell it was a classic whe it just came out.

Been around long?

It must have been a huge break through at the time. I can only imagine all the talk it started back then.

Worf101
08-17-2007, 06:46 AM
Been around long?

It must have been a huge break through at the time. I can only imagine all the talk it started back then.
According to published reports of the day, people ran screaming from the theatres, litterally. There were faintings, heart attacks etc.. While there'd been stop action animation before, even by the same guy, Willis O'brian I believe, there'd been nothing on this scale or magnitude.

Da Worfster

GMichael
08-17-2007, 07:08 AM
According to published reports of the day, people ran screaming from the theatres, litterally. There were faintings, heart attacks etc.. While there'd been stop action animation before, even by the same guy, Willis O'brian I believe, there'd been nothing on this scale or magnitude.

Da Worfster

When was the original radio broadcast of War of the Worlds?

PeruvianSkies
08-17-2007, 05:11 PM
When was the original radio broadcast of War of the Worlds?

Wasn't it around 1938??

kelsci
08-18-2007, 06:05 AM
Hi Peru; that radiocast was done on Halloween,1938.