Outlaw Audio - We can only hope... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Outlaw Audio - We can only hope...

nightflier
08-06-2007, 09:32 AM
Well it looks like the Outlaws are gearing up for some new product announcements and getting rid of old stock:

http://ubb.outlawaudio.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/ubb/get_topic/f/32/t/000043.html

Let's hope this includes HDMI and true OSD....

pixelthis
08-08-2007, 12:20 AM
Well it looks like the Outlaws are gearing up for some new product announcements and getting rid of old stock:

http://ubb.outlawaudio.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/ubb/get_topic/f/32/t/000043.html

Let's hope this includes HDMI and true OSD....
Have you seen their "retro" stereo receiver with phono stage and usb?
What a receiver would be today if it werent for HT.
One thing you have to give them they are original.
That receiver would make a great hub for an audio only system

nightflier
08-08-2007, 11:02 AM
Pixel,

Yes, the USB is a real selling point apparently. You can pretty much connect your computer right in, perfect for a secondary office receiver. I also read that the FM section sounds particularly good, something that many receiver manufacturers tend to skimp on. I have my NAD C320BEE in my office and it does just fine (I need a tuner), but if I had it to do over, I'd probably opt for the Outlaw or the Cambridge.

I know Outlaw did do something original with the 2150, but on their other products, they have really missed the mark, in my opinion. HDMI is all but ubiquitous now and they still don't ship any models that have it. They also don't offer OSD on any input that is over 480p. On their other product lines, they are also dragging their feet. Their monoblock amps are just OK, they dropped all other stereo amps from their lineup and they dropped the ICBM. Instead of selling cheap little overpriced speakers, they should have continued to focus on their bread & butter, IMHO.

bobsticks
08-08-2007, 05:06 PM
Have you seen their "retro" stereo receiver with phono stage and usb?
What a receiver would be today if it werent for HT.
One thing you have to give them they are original.
That receiver would make a great hub for an audio only system

Holy Ripper! Pixel and I agree on somethin'. Yes sir that is a nice little unit that everytime it gets brought up causes me to curse the gods for being forgetful. I keep promising myself that I'll build an office system with one.

I agree with 'fliers assessment of the state of Outlaw overall, and of this piece would add only that the built in crossover would be another great characteristic for a smaller setting in which one might be using some unobtrusive bookshelves and might want a sub...

nightflier
08-10-2007, 03:33 PM
Holy Ripper! Pixel and I agree on somethin'. Yes sir that is a nice little unit that everytime it gets brought up causes me to curse the gods for being forgetful. I keep promising myself that I'll build an office system with one.

Just out of curiosity, I have a question for any RR2150 owners out there: if running it as preamp, what would you say is its sonic character?

Also, if running as just an amp, does it sound OK? Does it outperform their monoblock amps?

pixelthis
08-11-2007, 11:41 PM

I agree with 'fliers assessment of the state of Outlaw overall, and of this piece would add only that the built in crossover would be another great characteristic for a smaller setting in which one might be using some unobtrusive bookshelves and might want a sub...
Unfortunatly I will have to forget about ever getting one, as I need an amp to plug
into my Integra, giving me the begining of a seperates system, someting I have always wanted but have always had to put off.
And I am trying to decide, three outlaw monoblocks for the front, letting the rears
run off of the receiver, or a seven channel 125 watt outlaw?
And I am wondering does anybody on this site have any experience with this brand?:confused5:

PeruvianSkies
08-11-2007, 11:50 PM
Here is a picture just for you!!!!

nightflier
08-12-2007, 07:40 PM
Peru,

Nice pic. Yes, there's really no one who defines spaghetti Western like the man with no name... I have every one of his movies, well... all the ones where he's a bad-a$$ - 'couldn't really bring myself to own that winy Bridges one or the one where every one's singing, or the ones with the ape (don't remember their titles). But give a Magnum to a pissed off Clint - that's worth watching!

Pixel,
I own that 7125 amp you're talking about. It's no slouch, but I still prefer the Adcom amp. Of course, if you speakers are the 4ohm and below variety, that Outlaw will crank out 190 Watts and that's nothing to sneeze at considering it's a cool $1K. I spent quite a bit of time comparing it to the Adcom, but in the end I preferred the Adcom's brighter sound - I prefer a warmer sound for music, but for movies I would rather have something crisper and more explosive.

That said, I still can't bring myself to sell the Outlaw amp. Maybe it's the whole Outlaw-Western theme I can't give up on or maybe the fact that I've been rooting for Outlaw since they started out and can't bring myself to dismiss them. It was the ICBM is what made me an Outlaw convert and introduced me to high-end audio; not that the product was high end, but it was the first time I realized that a tweak made a difference. Anyhow, knowing myself, I'll probably find another tweak or setting that will bring the 7125 back and I'll be back to having that Adcom sitting idle under my chair....

Back to the topic of this forum, has anyone heard anything about their upcoming products? My usual contact at Outlaw won't spill a single bean, but he assures me it will be worth the wait.

PeruvianSkies
08-12-2007, 09:37 PM
Peru,

Nice pic. Yes, there's really no one who defines spaghetti Western like the man with no name... I have every one of his movies, well... all the ones where he's a bad-a$$ - 'couldn't really bring myself to own that winy Bridges one or the one where every one's singing, or the ones with the ape (don't remember their titles). But give a Magnum to a pissed off Clint - that's worth watching!

Yeah, Clint is the man. I even enjoyed him in roles like PLAY MISTY FOR ME, HEARTBREAK RIDGE, and FIREFOX.

nightflier
10-05-2007, 02:53 PM
Well it looks like Outlaw is finally loosening up on replacing their DVI-only pre/pros. Although they won't say much, this is the scoop:

"...the newest version of the Cirrus Logic CS49700, the DSP chip powering these new products, will have an eight-week delay in the production schedule for samples. This cascades to a greater delay in the schedule, since the samples need to be in hand before we can finalize the board layout and freeze the firmware/software. We could use the current version of the DSP chip, but we want to deliver the increased stability and lightning-fast acquisition of the latest "lossey" and "lossless" audio formats transmitted over HDMI."

HDMI, finally! And that Cyrus Logic Chip sounds interesting too.

"...The net result is that our new processors will not be scheduled for production until some time late in the first quarter or early in the second quarter of 2008."

That certainly isn't soon. Fortunately, they will still offer their usual upgrade specials:

"In recognition of your loyalty, the $200 discount on our new processors will be available to any original owner of a Model 990 or Model 970, within the first 6 months of its release regardless of the original date of purchase.... Further, in keeping with our policy of customer support, anyone who has purchased a Model 990 or Model 970 in the past thirty days will be price protected with $250 in "Outlaw Bucks", good towards any future Outlaw purchase during the next twelve months."

So let's hope they ship before March Madness '08...

pixelthis
10-07-2007, 10:16 PM
Well it looks like Outlaw is finally loosening up on replacing their DVI-only pre/pros. Although they won't say much, this is the scoop:

"...the newest version of the Cirrus Logic CS49700, the DSP chip powering these new products, will have an eight-week delay in the production schedule for samples. This cascades to a greater delay in the schedule, since the samples need to be in hand before we can finalize the board layout and freeze the firmware/software. We could use the current version of the DSP chip, but we want to deliver the increased stability and lightning-fast acquisition of the latest "lossey" and "lossless" audio formats transmitted over HDMI."

HDMI, finally! And that Cyrus Logic Chip sounds interesting too.

"...The net result is that our new processors will not be scheduled for production until some time late in the first quarter or early in the second quarter of 2008."

That certainly isn't soon. Fortunately, they will still offer their usual upgrade specials:

"In recognition of your loyalty, the $200 discount on our new processors will be available to any original owner of a Model 990 or Model 970, within the first 6 months of its release regardless of the original date of purchase.... Further, in keeping with our policy of customer support, anyone who has purchased a Model 990 or Model 970 in the past thirty days will be price protected with $250 in "Outlaw Bucks", good towards any future Outlaw purchase during the next twelve months."

So let's hope they ship before March Madness '08...

DVI wasn't out anytime before the switch to HDMI, a very costly move, even tho both are compatible with converter cables.
OutlAw was just another victim:1: