Introduction [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Introduction

shambles
08-06-2007, 03:03 AM
Apologies if I've got this wrong but I'm very new to the whole forum/posting thing. I couldn't find the Introductions forum so here I am. I'm principally a music lover trying to get the best listening experience I can on a mini budget. I've recently changed my kit except for the speakers, courtesy of ebay - mainly Marantz. There's so much stuff here I don't know where to start. Also much of it is right over my head technically but hopefully I'll learn enough to make the best of what I have. In particular I'm wondering whether to change my speakers. Any advice on that and whether they or something else would go better with the rest of my kit would be very welcome.:confused5:

Wireworm5
08-07-2007, 07:17 PM
When I bought one set of speakers it took a few months for me to realize something was not quite right. So my advice is if you haven't critically listened to your system, then spend a few months analyzing the sound. You may find your speakers are ok or at least you will know what you want from a speaker when you go to audition.
You don't necessarily need to replace speakers, you may want to upgrade the weak link in your audio chain first if you can determine what that is and if there is one. Only upgrade after doing some research on components and your reasonably sure it will make an improvement.
Every upgrade I made improved the sound, however there were times that I just wasn't sure. I knew the weak link in my system but wasn't sure my purchase would solve the problem 'til I got it home and hooked up.

Analyzing and making what could be expensive mistakes is all part of the fun of being an audiophile. How your system turns out verifies whether or not you have good analysis and decision making abilites. Enjoy it and learn from your experieces as you go. Good Luck.

patchlips
04-30-2008, 07:37 PM
hi i am new. quite a few hoops to jump through

bubslewis
05-02-2008, 05:25 PM
Apologies if I've got this wrong but I'm very new to the whole forum/posting thing. I couldn't find the Introductions forum so here I am. I'm principally a music lover trying to get the best listening experience I can on a mini budget. I've recently changed my kit except for the speakers, courtesy of ebay - mainly Marantz. There's so much stuff here I don't know where to start. Also much of it is right over my head technically but hopefully I'll learn enough to make the best of what I have. In particular I'm wondering whether to change my speakers. Any advice on that and whether they or something else would go better with the rest of my kit would be very welcome.:confused5:

Only real way to find out is to listen to other speakers. Start out with inexpensive. If you hear something you like better, you might want to go for them. I'd try and find the most expensive or highest rated speaker you can find and try to analyze how it's different (or better) than what you've currently got. Make that speaker your benchmark (assuming it sounds alot better than what you've currently got). Then shoot for best mix of price/quality you can financiallly handle.

Unfortunately, it's getting harder to find places where you can go and listen to high quality speakers. I've got some decent speakers, but there is only one listed dealer for that brand within a hundred miles of where I live. Good luck.

Bill

dragan13
05-06-2008, 10:01 AM
I couldn't find the Introduction forum either... Anyway, here I am: loved music my whole life, and probably, when I was about 12 or 13 started to get involved with two-channel audio. That's how things are today, pretty much. No interested in home theater equipment.

Currently I'm running two systems:
Avantgarde Duo with all 47 Labs electronics and cables and
Quad ESL 2805 with Quad electronics and Acoustic Zen cables.

Hello to everybody and all the best
Dragan

bobsticks
05-06-2008, 03:19 PM
Welcome Dragan13 and Patchlips.

Dragan, those are two very tasteful combinations you have going there...and clearly used to enjoy seperate sets of sonic attributes. I'd love to hear that Avantgarde setup!

Peace

Groundbeef
05-06-2008, 03:36 PM
Nice to see a couple of new faces. I don't know a ton about speakers, or expensive brands, I tend to just lurk around a bit.

There was quite a lively discussion on these topics some time ago. About the only thing I pulled from it was the "Golden Rule" of speaker placement.

They must be exactly 12' apart. Doesn't matter the size of the speaker or room dimensions. 12'.

Beyond that, ask me about a XBOX 360 or computer stuff. Nice to see ya!

dragan13
05-09-2008, 07:59 AM
bobsticks, thank you.... I've had Quads my whole life and just loved the sound but hated having to mess with them all the time - dust covers etc... Loved the sound though.

One day, got pretty pissed and sold them thinking, I could live with something different (sound) but I soon realized that there would be no way. Heard a Duo at a local shop in combination with 47 labs, bought it right away. The way I hear it, I got most of the sound and then some, like you said, they are different but the emotion is there and no maintenance.

Then, I had the opportunity to get a pair of Unos, to be used in the second system, again, with all 47 labs electronics. I did and it worked for a while until Quad came back into my life again.
Tried a pair of 989s and didn't like the construction, replaced them with 2805.

Loved it ever since!

Dragan
hifihock

whistlepig59
05-26-2008, 05:25 PM
i can't even spell intro much less find it. has anyone ever found it?