Interesting Observation [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Observation

Wireworm5
08-04-2007, 08:11 AM
Last night I was rocking pretty hard to ' Porcupine Tree- Arriving Somewhere' concert dvd in DTS stereo.
Although it was loud approx. 90 dbs it wasn't louder than I normally play other discs at. So I wasn't driving the speakers beyond their rated capabilities. What is different however is that this dvd in DTS is an exceptionally detailed and realistic recording.
After about 4 hours of listening my right front Studio 20 was beginning to distort. This IMO was due to having to produce this extra clarity causing the driver to overheat (it was really hot). It seemed okay after lowering the volume down a notch.
So what I am saying is that maybe some speakers are not able to deliver detailed music after a few hours without failing.
Which also leads to another question. If I want to drive detailed music to concert level spl, maybe I have to go with a more rugged professional speaker. I would also have to get a much bigger amp as mine where running out of gas.

kexodusc
08-04-2007, 08:49 AM
Last night I was rocking pretty hard to ' Porcupine Tree- Arriving Somewhere' concert dvd in DTS stereo.
Although it was loud approx. 90 dbs it wasn't louder than I normally play other discs at. So I wasn't driving the speakers beyond their rated capabilities. What is different however is that this dvd in DTS is an exceptionally detailed and realistic recording.
After about 4 hours of listening my right front Studio 20 was beginning to distort. This IMO was due to having to produce this extra clarity causing the driver to overheat (it was really hot). It seemed okay after lowering the volume down a notch.
So what I am saying is that maybe some speakers are not able to deliver detailed music after a few hours without failing.
Which also leads to another question. If I want to drive detailed music to concert level spl, maybe I have to go with a more rugged professional speaker. I would also have to get a much bigger amp as mine where running out of gas.

Well, as the voice coil heats up over time it approaches its thermal capacity - then all sorts of bad stuff can happen. My Studio 40's have a notoriously poor power handling in the bass region at much above 90 dB. If I cross over to my sub (set them to small) problem is solved. Was it hot at your place? That certainly wouldn't help.

I made a bad mistake of making a very small sealed cabinet for a 5-1/4" speaker, then I used minimal polyfil for stuffing. I literally fried the driver. Lesson learned. Pink insulation, surprisingly made all the difference.

Be careful with those things,dude - Paradigm charges a fortune for drivers.

Great DVD though for the most part. :cornut: