Newbie needs help [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Newbie needs help

Jack
02-23-2004, 09:47 PM
Hi....This being my first post, please bear with me. I just purchased a mint Pioneer SX-1250 and am trying to decide on speakers to accompany it. The room is small, 12 x 15 and the sytem will be setup against the front wall. The speakers will have to be within 36 inches of the wall with the receiver in between. Each speaker will also be approximately 36 - 40 inches from the side walls. For the time being, I will only be using the receiver as equipment as I just purchased for the living room...NAD C320BEE amp, NAD C422 tuner, NAD C521BEE cd player and Energy A5+2's for listening pleasure. I already have a run of the mill (but I'm OK with it) Yamaha YHT 500 HT system in the living room also. My question (finally) is what kind of speakers would you recommend for this set up. The 1250 puts out 160 watts/channel, and while I generally listen to my music (classic rock, jazz, folk, and some blues) at a lower level (still able to talk above it), I would like to be able to use that wattage if desired. I truly have no idea of what kind of speakers to get. Either bookshelf or small footprint floor standing would be OK. I'm not in a great hurry, but really unable to test speakers for the most part due to living in a somewhat rural setting ( the big city is 60 miles away) and working many hours/week. While I understand that my ears are the true judge of what I want, I'm asking for help in narrowing down the search. Here's the kicker. I would like to keep the cost to about $400, give or take a few bucks. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks for reading my novel....Jack

RGA
02-23-2004, 10:01 PM
I would look at the Energy C3 standmount and possibly the C5 floorstander as well as the B&W 602S3 standmount, Mission M73(though this is more suited for softer music).

PSB is a reaosnably solid brand as well. Trouble is the standmounts will soak up all the money and none left for a stand...so the C5 may be one of your best bets. But it may also be $100.00 too much. I think the list in Canada is $799Cdn. Unfortunately Canadian speakers are often sold at par in the us not a direct conversion. Still it's worth checking.

I still like the 602S3 best because in a small to medium room it can REALLY belt it out. In fact the 303 and 601S3 are cheaper options and don't give up much. The 602S3 is B&W's bread and butter speaker. http://www.bwspeakers.com/

Geoffcin
02-24-2004, 04:32 PM
Hi....This being my first post, please bear with me. I just purchased a mint Pioneer SX-1250 and am trying to decide on speakers to accompany it. The room is small, 12 x 15 and the sytem will be setup against the front wall. The speakers will have to be within 36 inches of the wall with the receiver in between. Each speaker will also be approximately 36 - 40 inches from the side walls. For the time being, I will only be using the receiver as equipment as I just purchased for the living room...NAD C320BEE amp, NAD C422 tuner, NAD C521BEE cd player and Energy A5+2's for listening pleasure. I already have a run of the mill (but I'm OK with it) Yamaha YHT 500 HT system in the living room also. My question (finally) is what kind of speakers would you recommend for this set up. The 1250 puts out 160 watts/channel, and while I generally listen to my music (classic rock, jazz, folk, and some blues) at a lower level (still able to talk above it), I would like to be able to use that wattage if desired. I truly have no idea of what kind of speakers to get. Either bookshelf or small footprint floor standing would be OK. I'm not in a great hurry, but really unable to test speakers for the most part due to living in a somewhat rural setting ( the big city is 60 miles away) and working many hours/week. While I understand that my ears are the true judge of what I want, I'm asking for help in narrowing down the search. Here's the kicker. I would like to keep the cost to about $400, give or take a few bucks. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks for reading my novel....Jack

I had one of these back in the 80's, and although it didn't last me long, I really did like it.
I belive it was rated to drive 4 ohm speakers, so perhaps you might want to try a pair of Maggies with it. You can get a pretty nice used set off of AudiogoN.com in your price range, or directly from Magnepan for a little more. The new MMG's are just slighly above your range @ $550, but you'll get a speaker that's better than almost anything you might be able to find for less than a grand.

Jack
02-25-2004, 11:36 AM
After visiting my local dealer, and trying out the Energy C3 and C5, both of which I liked (I own and love my Energy A5+2's), I brought home a 1998 model year N.E.A.R. 50Me (New England Audio Research) from his personal collection. They are just what the doctor ordered. I listened to them for many hours for 2 days and went and paid for them today. Fantastic deal with remaining 5 years of a 10 year warranty (although NEAR was bought by Bogon, warranty still applies), 90 day no questions asked return from dealer. I was wondering if anyone else out there has any experience with NEAR, and if so, what are their thoughts? Thanks....Jack

markstock
10-07-2007, 07:32 PM
I was wondering if anyone else out there has any experience with NEAR, and if so, what are their thoughts? Thanks....Jack

I have a pair of the 50me speakers, and I love them, but one of the midranges is busted and I don't know where I can get a replacement. I power them with a Perreaux amp and preamp.