Another Convert... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Another Convert...

PeruvianSkies
08-03-2007, 10:46 PM
So a buddy of mine was over a few days ago and we didn't have an agenda other than to just hang out for a bit. Turns out we spent some time with some music on in the background and we really weren't focusing much on music, but just having some conversation. He doesn't share my enthusiasm for Home Theater/Audiophile-type stuff, but he appreciates good sound. In fact, he is also a musician (plays guitar with me on occasions). So anyway, I threw on a few different CD's that I had to give some atmosphere and after a bit I decided to throw in something just to see his reaction. I was hoping that he would comment on how 'good it sounded' and then we could perhaps talk about audio stuff. Sure enough it worked...what was it you ask? Well, my tried and true favorite: Jewel's SPIRIT.

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/ciu/9b/5b/cb47828fd7a002e2ba3bf010.L.jpg

This CD alone has been my #1 demo disc for quite some time. It was one of the first HDCD's that I ever bought (long before I could even play HDCD's) but I knew what they were. Anyway, there are several key tracks on this disc that just seem to do the trick, like track 6: INNOCENCE MAINTAINED. Perfect blend of vocals, guitar, and some seriously deep deep sonically insane bass. So here's what happened...

I put on the disc and immediately went for track 6, it started off I pulled the volume up a bit from where it was since before we were conversing. I set it at a very comfortable level and about 15 seconds into the song my friend quickly began to notice the vocals. He looked at me and said...wow, that's a really good recording. I responded...it gets better! The song continues and now he is really hooked...he asks what CD I was playing...I told him and then we proceeded to listen a bit more. Then at around the 1-minute mark the deep sonic bass swept the room and his jaw dropped. I mean it seriously dropped...he then said....dang. I asked him what he thought of the recording...he said....AWESOME.

I won't give all the details as to what followed, but I can tell you that we had a great discussion on audio and I spent some time letting him hear some SACD's as well. Today he asked me if I was interested in helping him build a system. Can you say...

HOOK, LINE, and SINKER!

Bernd
08-03-2007, 11:25 PM
So a buddy of mine was over a few days ago and we didn't have an agenda other than to just hang out for a bit. Turns out we spent some time with some music on in the background and we really weren't focusing much on music, but just having some conversation. He doesn't share my enthusiasm for Home Theater/Audiophile-type stuff, but he appreciates good sound. In fact, he is also a musician (plays guitar with me on occasions). So anyway, I threw on a few different CD's that I had to give some atmosphere and after a bit I decided to throw in something just to see his reaction. I was hoping that he would comment on how 'good it sounded' and then we could perhaps talk about audio stuff. Sure enough it worked...what was it you ask? Well, my tried and true favorite: Jewel's SPIRIT.

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/ciu/9b/5b/cb47828fd7a002e2ba3bf010.L.jpg

This CD alone has been my #1 demo disc for quite some time. It was one of the first HDCD's that I ever bought (long before I could even play HDCD's) but I knew what they were. Anyway, there are several key tracks on this disc that just seem to do the trick, like track 6: INNOCENCE MAINTAINED. Perfect blend of vocals, guitar, and some seriously deep deep sonically insane bass. So here's what happened...

I put on the disc and immediately went for track 6, it started off I pulled the volume up a bit from where it was since before we were conversing. I set it at a very comfortable level and about 15 seconds into the song my friend quickly began to notice the vocals. He looked at me and said...wow, that's a really good recording. I responded...it gets better! The song continues and now he is really hooked...he asks what CD I was playing...I told him and then we proceeded to listen a bit more. Then at around the 1-minute mark the deep sonic bass swept the room and his jaw dropped. I mean it seriously dropped...he then said....dang. I asked him what he thought of the recording...he said....AWESOME.

I won't give all the details as to what followed, but I can tell you that we had a great discussion on audio and I spent some time letting him hear some SACD's as well. Today he asked me if I was interested in helping him build a system. Can you say...

HOOK, LINE, and SINKER!

YES you can.

I have that disc too. It certainly surprised me.

Peace

:23: