Maggie SMGs, wow!!! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Maggie SMGs, wow!!!

x-large
08-03-2007, 06:07 PM
Went over to a friends place the other night to listen to his newly acquired SMGs.

For speakers that only set him back NZ$500, and are 20 years old, were absolutely amazing. Definitely the best speaker, new or old, I've heard for that sort of money.

In the past I've not been a huge panel speaker fan. Early experiences with Maggies were very disappointing, wasn't impressed with Quad, Martin Logan I could probably deal with.

But I think I've been converted... My initial Maggie experience was in a less than ideal environment with the speakers placed probably in the worst position imaginable. To hear my friends little SMGs in a decently proportioned roomed with much better placement was mindblowing. And to think they only cost him NZ$500!!!

He got them for a steal and even though they are 20 years old, they literally look like they've just come off the production line. Surely nobody has had any luck like that in the past with any audio acquisitions...

Begs the question about larger and newer Maggies, hmmmm.

GMichael
08-03-2007, 06:17 PM
Congrats to your friend. Sounds like he found a great deal.
What's he driving them with?
And when are you getting some Maggies?
The quest begins.....

x-large
08-04-2007, 06:46 PM
He's driving them with Perreaux SX60m mono blocks. They actually do a pretty decent job considering they're only 60W a piece. Very deceiving given their small stature, they're about the size of a hardback book.

Hmmmm, with my first child on the way I don't see any money going into audio gear in the near future. But if an opportunity came along like this again, maybe I could convince the other half to allow the expenditure...

GMichael
08-04-2007, 08:00 PM
He's driving them with Perreaux SX60m mono blocks. They actually do a pretty decent job considering they're only 60W a piece. Very deceiving given their small stature, they're about the size of a hardback book.

Hmmmm, with my first child on the way I don't see any money going into audio gear in the near future. But if an opportunity came along like this again, maybe I could convince the other half to allow the expenditure...

Hey, those amps look pretty good. Maggies don't need a lot of watts, just plenty of Amps. And those babes seem to have them in spades. I bet that system sounds sweet.

Specs on those mono-blocks:

Rated Power Output: 60WRMS into 8Ω
75WRMS into 4Ω
Voltage Swing: 110.4Vp-p
Input Sensitivity: 0.37VRMS
Gain: 35.6dB
Input Impedance
Typically: 20kΩ
Total Harmonic Distortion (THD+N)
Typically: 0.002% @ 1kHz into 8Ω
20Hz to 20kHz: 0.006%
Frequency Response
20Hz to 20kHz: +0dB, -0.05dB
5Hz to 60kHz: +0dB, -0.25dB
Signal to Noise Ratio
Rated Output (unweighted): 100dB
Dimensions:
Width
Height
Depth
216mm (8.5")
58mm (2.3")
178mm (7.0")
Weight: 2.4kg (5.3lb)

x-large
08-06-2007, 12:56 AM
Yeah the specs look pretty good. The little blighters take you by surprise because they're so small. Very deceiving...

We're yet to find an amp that keeps up in the sub 150W bracket, even some bordering on 200W seem to struggle.

Maybe they're just a very dynamic amp, which gives them their big sound and the perception that they punch above their weight. Dunno...

SlumpBuster
08-06-2007, 07:43 AM
Hey, those amps look pretty good.

Yeah, just in case you were unfamiliar with Perreaux, the general opinion is: "Mmmmmmmaarrrggllllllllaaaaaaahhh.... Perreaux" ala Homer Simpson with tongue hanging out.

x-large
08-06-2007, 10:28 PM
Haha, Homer... Anyone seen The Simpsons movie yet?

blackraven
08-07-2007, 07:32 PM
Listen to the MG12's and Q1.6's and you wont be disappointed. Alot of speaker for the money. They do sound better with 150w's of high current power though.