Shark Week Recap... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Shark Week Recap...

PeruvianSkies
08-03-2007, 01:03 PM
For those who are aware this week was The Discovery Channel's 20th anniversary of SHARK WEEK and let me tell you, it was a real bore. I love sharks and I am fascinated by them just as the next person, but the entire week made me realize just how stupid (us humans) really are. We have come to the conclusion that:

Sharks bite.
Sharks have sharp teeth.
Sharks can swim fast.
Sharks sometimes bite humans.
Sharks sometimes don't bite humans.

People act like there is so much mystery behind these creatures, but there isn't a mystery to it at all, not unlike anything else like a bear or lion or tiger. Bears do not kill humans on purpose, they kill humans because they are hungry and take the first source of food that comes their way. Sharks are the same, they don't have hands to test things out, they bite into things and then determine if they like it afterwards. Therefore, if humans are in the water, they are susceptible to being bitten at some point.

One one program this week they had a few divers in the open water with Great White Sharks, this was the first time that divers were NOT IN CAGES with Great Whites. No one was bitten, unfortunately, but there was a close call. These creatures are UNPREDICTABLE and yet these people are stupid enough to get into the water with them. Makes no sense to me! Not only are these creatures better in the water than us, but they have thousands of years perfecting their predatory skills in the water and are perfect predators. Humans are clumsy in the water, in fact we are pretty much useless in the water, we can't breathe in water, we can't swim fast, and we can barely see anything underwater....yep...useless. Without equipment we are pretty much useless.

ForeverAutumn
08-03-2007, 06:47 PM
In a cage match of Shark vs. Man, always put your money on the shark.

A very good friend of ours was one of the cameramen on the documentary that was on Tuesday night. It was about a family who has a history of shark hunting and Dad took his kids down in a cage to see the sharks. His 7-yr-old son is unofficially the youngest person to go down in a shark cage (or so I've been told, I haven't watched the tape yet).

Anyway, our friend who filmed this said that you haven't lived until you've been in a cage watching sharks swimming around you.

I think I'll take a pass on that one.

PeruvianSkies
08-03-2007, 07:39 PM
I just don't see why we can't appreciate these creatures from a safe distance, instead of attempting fate by going into the danger zone. There is no need to test the boundaries and I heard a great quote this week from one of the captains on the Great White expedition, he said "It's not a matter of IF you'll get bitten, it's a matter of when". I thought to myself, well, I'll just stay on shore thank you very much. Especially since most Great White attacks end with human lives lost.