Noob needs advice on HT setup :) [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Noob needs advice on HT setup :)

georgesf
08-02-2007, 01:29 PM
Hi all,

I have spent the last two weeks reading the forum and reviews. I was hoping to get some expert advice on my specific situation. Apologies in advance for any dumb and repeated questions.

I am looking to buy an AV receiver, speakers for my new place. The room is approximately 15 feet x 20 feet x 10 feet height. The place has speakers built-in to the ceiling throughout the living area. I was thinking about getting an AV receiver like the Yamaha RXV2095 or the Denon AVR3801 just based on the reviews. I had a Yamaha 9xx something with NHT SuperOne, center and sub before and i was pretty happy with it.

I would like to connect my Tivo, Apple Mini (DVI for video playback) to the receiver and let the receiver manage the video inputs and out to the plasma tv. I would also like to do audio playback from the Apple Mini or my iPod. Both video and audio quality are important to me. I don't feel so much like I need to future proof the system and have the latest technology though. Because the living area is pretty open, I would prefer not having to put speaker behind the seating area since it would be in the hallway if possible. I am also intrigued by the new receivers that can stream music from PC like the Denon ci ones. But it's more of a cool factor and not a need.

I would really appreciate any advice on the receiver as well as speaker to get. I would like to get everything for under 4k if possible.

Thank you in advance.

George

PeruvianSkies
08-02-2007, 02:57 PM
With 4K you should be in good hands, but what all do you want to cover in that price....you are in need of a receiver, but how many speakers...5 and and a sub? Are you interested in getting a system for music playback and HT application ?