Home Theater in a Box [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Home Theater in a Box

BobB
08-02-2007, 08:47 AM
Can you recommend a good home theater in a box system?

PeruvianSkies
08-02-2007, 08:58 AM
Nope.

GMichael
08-02-2007, 09:00 AM
Welcome to AR,

No, I can not recommend a good HTIB system. Mostly because they all have compromises that I would not want to settle on. Companies who make good electronics don't normally make the best speakers. Ditto for the other way around.
Also, sense this is most likely your first surround system, you will see once you have it that you'll want better and better sound. (just my guess at least)
I think that you are better off getting a decent receiver (Yamaha, Denon, Onkyo, Pioneer are just a few names to look for) and then picking up some bookshelf speakers & a sub. There are too many choices on these to go into right now.
Try not to be in a hurry. Shop around for a while. A couple of weeks research now could make you happier for years to come.

BobB
08-02-2007, 09:03 AM
I have a good Denon Receiver, but the speakers are big and I want to get smaller ones. I have Paradigm Speakers but we are in the process of downsizing and the speakers have got to go.

GMichael
08-02-2007, 09:06 AM
Nope.

Could you shorten this reply a little? I got tired reading all the details.:aureola:

GMichael
08-02-2007, 09:11 AM
I have a good Denon Receiver, but the speakers are big and I want to get smaller ones. I have Paradigm Speakers but we are in the process of downsizing and the speakers have got to go.

I just bought a larger set of speakers from AV123.com. I love them. I have heard a lot of good reveiws on their smaller speakers as well. Would something like these be more in line with what you are looking for? Not sure what your budget is? Do you listen to more music or movies? What Denon receiver do you have?
Check this link: http://www.av123.com/products_category_brand.php?section=speakers&brand=55

I built a fairly nice second system with an older Yamaha receiver and 6 JBL E20's. Cost was about $50 per pair for the speakers and would be about $200 for the receiver if I didn't get it free.
Do you already have a DVD player?

BobB
08-02-2007, 11:02 AM
I have the Denon 2800 receiver.

kelsci
08-03-2007, 08:31 AM
Hi GMichael; I looked over the website of av123. It is an extroadinary electronics outfit.

kelsci
08-03-2007, 08:35 AM
Bob, if you are considering a home theater in a box, look into the onkyo systems. They seem to be highly rated. They ususally give you a sub, satellites, center and a receiver.
Explore C-Net, Circuit City and Crutchfield for reviews on the onkyo systems. However, I 2nd the nonination for GMichael's recommendation.

GMichael
08-03-2007, 09:09 AM
Hi GMichael; I looked over the website of av123. It is an extroadinary electronics outfit.

Yeah, those little X-series speakers are being hailed as giant killers. I haven't heard them, but the Strata Mini's I just got in are fantastic. My guess is that dollar for dollar the X's are a better deal.