The end of the Microsoft PC. Really? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : The end of the Microsoft PC. Really?

nightflier
08-01-2007, 08:41 AM
I know it's been said before, but this time it's not just a different OS, it's a whole different culture. I know there are a lot of reasons home computer users don't want to switch from a Microsoft-based system, the main one being support. But this rental-based computer, answers many of those concerns. Some of the highlights:

- Full Warantee: If it breaks down, they'll replace it for free forever.
- No hardware or software costs, just a simple rental fee of about $200 per year.
- All the applications most people need: office, email, web, music, games, dektop publishing, even free phone calls over the internet.
- All your files are backed up automatically every night to an internet server.
- Your files can be accessed from any other Internet-attached computer, anytime, anywhere.
- All software is automatically updated as it becomes available.

Here is the link:

http://www.zonbu.com/home/

and some impressive demos:

http://www.zonbu.com/learn/demo.htm

PeruvianSkies
08-01-2007, 10:35 AM
I know it's been said before, but this time it's not just a different OS, it's a whole different culture. I know there are a lot of reasons home computer users don't want to switch from a Microsoft-based system, the main one being support. But this rental-based computer, answers many of those concerns. Some of the highlights:

- Full Warantee: If it breaks down, they'll replace it for free forever.
- No hardware or software costs, just a simple rental fee of about $200 per year.
- All the applications most people need: office, email, web, music, games, dektop publishing, even free phone calls over the internet.
- All your files are backed up automatically every night to an internet server.
- Your files can be accessed from any other Internet-attached computer, anytime, anywhere.
- All software is automatically updated as it becomes available.

Here is the link:

http://www.zonbu.com/home/

and some impressive demos:

http://www.zonbu.com/learn/demo.htm

I like how they stole the Mac power button icon.

E-Stat
08-01-2007, 01:31 PM
I know it's been said before, but this time it's not just a different OS, it's a whole different culture.
Actually, the concept of an ASP (application service provider) dates back decades. The company I worked for in the 80s considered a Xerox based ERP at the time. Back then, however, the link to their servers was through a 1200 baud modem. A bit slower than broadband for sure!

Bill Gates would really like to move to that model as well. It's far easier to control pirating when the user must pay a perpetual monthly fee!

rw

nightflier
08-03-2007, 10:40 AM
I suppose, that theoretically, all the services that this system provides, one could build in-house with open source utilities. But the way that Zonbu has packaged them, not to mention the inexpensive hardware with warrantee, I just don't see how a similar Microsoft-based system could compete on price, reliability, and convenience. I just can't see a Vista computer being competitive in this arena.

Mr Peabody
08-03-2007, 05:32 PM
Will it allow you to add programs? Like games, educational sofware or most importantly, to me, adaptive software, such as speech recognition, screen readers or magnification programs.

nightflier
08-14-2007, 03:41 PM
Will it allow you to add programs? Like games, educational sofware or most importantly, to me, adaptive software, such as speech recognition, screen readers or magnification programs.

Yes, but you would need to find OpenSource or at least Linux versions of these. There are applications for speech recognition, I do know that, but alas, the games choices that are available on Linux are limited. The Zonbu includes some of the most popular ones, but they are nothing compared to Call of Duty, Civilization, or Elder Scrolls (my fav). Most Linux users who are also gamers secretly keep a Windows PC around just for playing games. But to be fair, the Zonbu isn't really being marketed to that crowd.

trollgirl
09-09-2007, 06:33 PM
I really hate to think of the spyware and adware that surely would accompany such a system. I've seen the software lineup of a computer infested with AOL, and know of those "cow" computers only by reputation. I will keep my old iMac.

Laz

nightflier
09-09-2007, 06:51 PM
I really hate to think of the spyware and adware that surely would accompany such a system. I've seen the software lineup of a computer infested with AOL, and know of those "cow" computers only by reputation. I will keep my old iMac.

Laz

Actually, Linux is much more free of Spy/Adware than most other OSes, even Macs. And with all the software being open source, there is no incentive from companies to "encourage" users to byu or upgrade to another version.

audio_dude
09-16-2007, 06:23 PM
Yeah, this all seems well and good...but what is the difference between the Asus EEE pc and this? They have almost EXACTLY the same specs...and the EEE is a laptop too.

Oh, and would you rather pay $250? or $200 a year?

plus, i'd be curious as to exactly what rights they reserve with the data you upload.

nightflier
09-17-2007, 12:00 PM
I haven't heard of the "Asus EEE pc." Can you post a link to it?

Rich-n-Texas
09-17-2007, 12:04 PM
I forsee building my own PC's for a looooong time to come. Renting a PC just sounds rediculous to me.

Fred333
09-27-2007, 07:11 AM
Yea I would not rent, due to the security issues with all that hidden spyware people can put on computers.

nightflier
09-27-2007, 02:00 PM
Yea I would not rent, due to the security issues with all that hidden spyware people can put on computers.

So the issues with spyware and viruses will be considerable less. Because the code for Linux and the Open Source software included in the Zonbu subscription are peer-reviewed continuously, it is much more difficult for someone to write spyware or a virus that won't be noticed. With software from Apple or Microsoft, the people with access to the code is much smaller while the code itself is typically much more complex, so it is much harder for these companies to combat spyware and viruses. Also, since the Zonbu software is set up as a subscription service, it can be updated continuously to address threats such as these, whereas with Apple or Microsoft, the company has to add a significant amount of code to restrict systems that have not paid for updates (think Microsoft Software Advantage program).

That said, I share your concern about what Zonbu, the company, is tracking about their subscribers (and possibly selling or transmitting to other entities). Given that they would need to inform their subscribers of any monitoring or transmission of private data, according to typical Open Software agreements generally in place, it is still something to keep in mind.

herm0016
09-28-2007, 09:18 AM
there is no way this would work for most people. you need broadband, ( at home all i can get is dial up) i could not use it if the internet connection was down, file transfers will be slow, only 4 gigs of local storage? so every time i use a program i will be running it off the server this would never work for anything that you need power or storage for. depending on your connection you may not even be able to stream music at any sort of quality.

nightflier
09-28-2007, 12:24 PM
there is no way this would work for most people. you need broadband, ( at home all i can get is dial up) i could not use it if the internet connection was down, file transfers will be slow, only 4 gigs of local storage? so every time i use a program i will be running it off the server this would never work for anything that you need power or storage for. depending on your connection you may not even be able to stream music at any sort of quality.

I agree with those concerns but to fair to the Zonbu, it's being marketed to middle-class city dwellers who have some type of broadband already. It's not for everyone, obviously, but that's the status today. As technology improves and the internet is upgraded to support future technologies like VOD, this will change.

I was pointing out the concept, which really is a threat to the the idea where all software is installed on the local hard drive. What the Zonbu represents, symbolically, is a threat to Microsoft's business model.