Speaking of Paste magazine (Finch)... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of Paste magazine (Finch)...

Swish
08-01-2007, 08:27 AM
...a recent edition had a 'letter to the editor' from none other than Joseph Arthur, and it was pretty tough on the magazine itself. Turns out it was his review of the magazine, and not really a letter to the editor, but the message rang out loud and clear;

A CHALLENGE TO PASTE BY JOSEPH ARTHUR
Paste should be more like its name
Meaning it should smack you about more
Have reviews by poets like me about itself
(hey wait a minute)
Paste should take more chances
Offend more
Be more misunderstood
It tries too hard to appeal to some fantastical
demographic of pretend people who like
pretend music
Singing pretend songs
To plastic ears bleeding internally into a brain
folding over itself just because
Paste is a caricature of itself
If it were a color it would be beige

Talk about getting pasted. Actually, I sort of like the magazine, but they do tend to fall all over themselves to give lofty reviews to many artists, and undeservedly so in many cases. I really don't pay much attention to their reviews, and would rather heed the advice to some of you here at RR, although not 100% of the time.

Swish

Finch Platte
08-02-2007, 03:02 PM
...a recent edition had a 'letter to the editor' from none other than Joseph Arthur, and it was pretty tough on the magazine itself. Turns out it was his review of the magazine, and not really a letter to the editor, but the message rang out loud and clear;

A CHALLENGE TO PASTE BY JOSEPH ARTHUR
Paste should be more like its name
Meaning it should smack you about more
Have reviews by poets like me about itself
(hey wait a minute)
Paste should take more chances
Offend more
Be more misunderstood
It tries too hard to appeal to some fantastical
demographic of pretend people who like
pretend music
Singing pretend songs
To plastic ears bleeding internally into a brain
folding over itself just because
Paste is a caricature of itself
If it were a color it would be beige

Talk about getting pasted. Actually, I sort of like the magazine, but they do tend to fall all over themselves to give lofty reviews to many artists, and undeservedly so in many cases. I really don't pay much attention to their reviews, and would rather heed the advice to some of you here at RR, although not 100% of the time.

Swish

Thanks- I hadn't noticed the letter. And like you, I don't really heed the reviews. But then again, I don't with almost all mags. I just look at the pics. :cornut:

fp