Denon or Onkyo Receiver?...Suggestions please! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Denon or Onkyo Receiver?...Suggestions please!

Alex55
08-01-2007, 05:27 AM
I am going to purchase a new reciever to replace my Denon 2800.
I am considering the Denon 2807, Denon 3806, and Onkyo TX-SR805.
I have read the pros and cons on several review sites.
I am aware of the weight and heat of the Onkyo (my biggest concern with it.)
Since I have had Denon for about 7 years, I am a Denon fan and am having diffuculty with the idea of switching to Onkyo...but the Onkyo seems to offer more bang for the buck.

One review on this site gave the Denon 3806 a miserable review and recommended the 2807 instead.

So I am relying on you, who have used these products to sway my decision.
Talk to me about the benefits of the featues of these components.

Here's how you can help....first the 2807 or 3806?...then the onkyo or the recommended Denon.
I do not yet have HD anything but will in the future: so "future proof" is important to me.
I do have Dishnetwork satellite reception.

My rooom is 25x25, vaulted 17 foot ceiling, hardwood floor and 2 double french doors, all which bounce sound all over the place (not the best acoustics).

Thanks for your anticipated responses!!!

L.J.
08-01-2007, 07:45 AM
I am going to purchase a new reciever to replace my Denon 2800.
I am considering the Denon 2807, Denon 3806, and Onkyo TX-SR805.
I have read the pros and cons on several review sites.
I am aware of the weight and heat of the Onkyo (my biggest concern with it.)
Since I have had Denon for about 7 years, I am a Denon fan and am having diffuculty with the idea of switching to Onkyo...but the Onkyo seems to offer more bang for the buck.

One review on this site gave the Denon 3806 a miserable review and recommended the 2807 instead.

So I am relying on you, who have used these products to sway my decision.
Talk to me about the benefits of the featues of these components.

Here's how you can help....first the 2807 or 3806?...then the onkyo or the recommended Denon.
I do not yet have HD anything but will in the future: so "future proof" is important to me.
I do have Dishnetwork satellite reception.

My rooom is 25x25, vaulted 17 foot ceiling, hardwood floor and 2 double french doors, all which bounce sound all over the place (not the best acoustics).

Thanks for your anticipated responses!!!

I have owned both the 805 and 2807. The 805 is a excellent unit, but does come with a few minor issue that may or may not bother you. Read this thread (http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=23558) for more info.

I wanted to hold onto the 805 because of it's excellent SQ, flexibility, adjustability and all that other good stuff, but in the end those minor issues pushed me away. The 2807 has similar features but let's just say I only auditioned it for a couple of days. Perhaps there was something wrong with the unit I had, but it did not compare to the SQ of the Onkyo. I'm refering more toward music. The 2807 was just very thin sounding. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the Denon sounded bad. The Onkyo just had a very smooth and full sound that I enjoyed more. My wife even made a "I liked the other one better" comment.

Both did OK with HT and I would say the Denon may have the edge there since the sound was more balanced. Although I liked the deep full sound I was getting for music from the 805, it did not always sound right for HT. I had the Audyssey room EQ engaged on both units and seemed to get better results with the Onkyo. With that said, I'm sure the results will vary each time you run Audyssey so it's hard to say if there's a winner as far as that goes.

Not too sure about the 3806. I don't know too much about it. I would suggest that you audition these units if possible. Your experience may be completely different from mine. Both the 805 and 987/2807 are available at Circuit City, which has an excellent return policy. I would consider both units to be "future proof" at this point since HDMI 1.3 is pretty useless right now.

kelsci
08-01-2007, 08:33 AM
I have heard the 3806 in stereo and surround mode last winter. The comments that L.J. made about his trying the 2807 in stereo mode most defintely apply to the 3806. The 3806 to me appeared to deliver excellent surround sound. It is interesting that L.J. appears to have found "similar" findings to my own on his test of the Denon.

pixelthis
08-05-2007, 11:18 PM
I've had two denons and have always though they rolled off the highs a bit.
I currently have an integra 7.4, its a few years old (and made by onkyo)
It is exelent in build Q and SQ, but one thing I noticed (as in most modern receivers)
it sounds better with all channels engaged, of course.
I am currently running B&W speakers on mine, they are notorious for their inefficiency,
but the Integra never wavers, even at high vollume levels.
And Onkyo also pays attention to the audiophile, with phono stages, pure stereo
mode which shuts off the sub and runs all sound through the fronts, and the ability to turn off the display, etc.
And dont worry about the heat, mine has an inch clearence and does get a little hot but I keep it on for hours and no problems yet, and its really refined too, but maybe thats just what you get for the "high line" integra" version