Pro-Ject Turntable? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Pro-Ject Turntable?

dav305z
07-31-2007, 04:04 PM
Well, I think my foray into used turntables has come to an end. I've tried a Technics and a Marantz, and neither could hold a speed - even after replacing the pots.

So, I'm hoping to buy something reliable and new. I'm looking at the Pro-ject Debut III, because it seems that's the cheapest "serious" table. I have a couple of questions though.

First, does anyone have any experience with this table? I'm concered with not only how it sounds, but how reliable it is. Second, I'm curious as to whether I should use the Ortofon cartridge that comes mounted on the table, or if I should use my Grado Black (I play mostly classic rock).

Finally, are there any other tables I should consider? Keep in mind that this table "budget" minded as it is, touches the upper limits of what I want to spend.

Thanks,
David

DPM
08-02-2007, 04:02 PM
Rega is a line you should check out as well as Music Hall. Both lines are handled by Musicdirect.com. I believe they also sell Project turntables.

dean_martin
08-02-2007, 06:13 PM
The Debut has been around for awhile. I think if there were any serious reliability problems, they would've come to light by now. I have a Pro-Ject 1.2 which is about 6 or 7 years old. It used to be Pro-Ject's entry level table. I've had no problems with it.

If you think you're going to be in vinyl for a long time, try to step up in the Pro-Ject line or check the Music Hall MMF-5 which is currently on sale at Music Direct for $599 complete with a decent cartridge.

Does the Debut come with an Ortofon cart or does it come with a Sumiko Oyster? Mine came with the Oyster which I replaced pretty quickly. Pro-Ject has been packaging Ortofon carts with their tables for a long time, especially in Europe. They seem to be a good match. I'm using an Ortofon MC-3 Turbo, but something like the Super OM 20 would probably be a great match for the Debut. You can certainly try the Black. A lot of folks really dig the Grado house sound (in fact, I really like it with classic rock), but I've read that Grado carts exhibit a "hum" with some tables (perhaps due to grounding issues) including Pro-Ject tables, but I've also read some positive stuff about Pro-Ject/Grado combos (the Grado Red and Gold in particular.) Try your Black for "hum" problems before moving up the Grado line.

Most of all, have fun.