who is the most underused acting talent in Hollywood? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : who is the most underused acting talent in Hollywood?

Gerald Cooperberg
07-31-2007, 02:40 PM
Don't say Paul Giamatti. He's classing up mediocre movies left & right now.

Someone needs to hurry up and put together a decent vehicle for Chiwetel Ejiofor. He's shown his talent anchoring Dirty Pretty Things and Kinky Boots (really, he's the only reason to watch the latter) and added punch around the edges in Children of Men, Inside Man, and now Talk to Me with Don Cheadle. Cast this man in something that can get him some exposure!

Or how about Will Smith? I mean, I know he's in plenty of films, but when you give him the right role, he shows that he's really one of the finest talents of his generation. Ali, Six Degrees of Separation, even the maudlin The Pursuit of Happyness... stop with I Robot and I Am Legend and give him some real work!

Any other nominees?

-Coop

PeruvianSkies
08-01-2007, 10:31 AM
I had a discussion the other day with someone about Heath Ledger and the fact that he is often misused in roles. HIs last few films have all been terrible roles: BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN, THE ORDER, NED KELLY, THE BROTHERS GRIMM, THE FOUR FEATHERS, A KNIGHTS TALE, and THE PATRIOT. With the exception of MONSTER'S BALL, he just doesn't get parts that seem to match him well. I am quite curious though about him as "The Joker" in the upcoming DARK KNIGHT...I think this could be a good move for him career-wise.

Hollywood also can't figure out how to use Ryan Phillippe either...he has had some interesting roles, but nothing really breakthrough for him. I liked him in BREACH and WAY OF THE GUN, but over the past 7 or so years he really hasn't been in too many movies.

Then there's John C. Reilly...awesome actor with a load of movies to his name and a wide variety of roles as well, but he still hasn't done anything lead-wise. This guy is a class actor who doesn't need to be doing side bits in ANGER MANAGEMENT or TALLADEGA NIGHTS or even DARK WATER for that matter. He was perfect in THE HOURS, THE AVIATOR, MAGNOLIA, GANGS OF NEW YORK, and of course...CHICAGO. When is he going to get back into his stride???

Jeremy Davies also comes to mind as someone typically in the background that never really gets anything major, despite appearing in fairly good films, although more artsy like DOGVILLE, SOLARIS, CQ, and such.

Joaquin Phoenix needs to get back on the right path too, he was on a roll for quite some time with 8MM, QUILLS, GLADIATORS, THE YARDS, and then everything turned around when he worked with M. Night on Signs, since then he has been misused in just about every single role with the exception of WALK THE LINE.

I'd also like to see Rufus Sewell in more lead roles as well, he was great in AMAZING GRACE and also in THE ILLUSIONIST.

kexodusc
08-01-2007, 11:26 AM
I vote for our very own Kam. F%$# Bernie Mac. :D

SlumpBuster
08-01-2007, 12:05 PM
Ryan Phillippe...I liked him WAY OF THE GUN

Good call on Phillippe, but ya know who else was in that movie: Sarah Silverman, well before many people new her name. I've been looking for an excuse to post one of my favorite clips of all time. (Becareful that there are no children around: This clip is Rated R)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaJP5aeSo4Y ("He's not even gay, but he'll do it!)

I would vote for Neil Patrick Harris aka Doogie Houser. He had scene stealing roles in Starship Troopers and Harold and Kumar. Good to see he finally found a home back on TV as Barney.

PeruvianSkies
08-01-2007, 12:42 PM
Good call on Phillippe, but ya know who else was in that movie: Sarah Silverman, well before many people new her name. I've been looking for an excuse to post one of my favorite clips of all time. (Becareful that there are no children around: This clip is Rated R)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaJP5aeSo4Y ("He's not even gay, but he'll do it!)

I would vote for Neil Patrick Harris aka Doogie Houser. He had scene stealing roles in Starship Troopers and Harold and Kumar. Good to see he finally found a home back on TV as Barney.

Yeah, that opening scene from WAY OF THE GUN is great...too bad the rest of the film can't live up to that.

PeruvianSkies
08-03-2007, 10:56 PM
I realized tonight watching a commercial who it HAS to be. Or at least one of the most gifted and funniest people, yet totally underused.

And the candidate is: RYAN STILES!

http://www.geocities.com/igvmyself1000pts/1.jpg

This guy deserves a heck of a lot better than small parts on TV shows and he is the ONLY reason that WHOSE LINE IS IT ANYWAY even became what it is. Sure there are other talents on there as well, but Ryan is the true crowd pleaser. Colin, Greg, and the rest of the gang are better when Ryan is around.

Ryan has appeared in low roles in HOT SHOTS, but mostly has small bit roles in TV shows ranging from PARKER LEWIS CAN'T LOSE to DHARMA AND GREG. Ryan needs a role created just for him as the lead in either a show or some movie. I think he has the drawing power at this point with his credentials, especially if you partner him up with someone that could compliment his style a bit more, not Colin though. You need to give him fresh water. Stiles certainly deserves better than doing commercials for crying out loud! His improv is so great and his comedic timing is pitch perfect, plus his John Wayne impersonation is legendary!

thekid
08-04-2007, 05:19 AM
I am going old school and say Gene Hackman-He is still out there but not as often as he used to be and the guy just does not make a bad film.

Gerald Cooperberg
08-04-2007, 09:08 AM
Hey, I just thought of it over in another thread... whatever happened to Andre Braugher?

-Coop

bobsticks
08-04-2007, 09:50 AM
I like Ryan Stiles and I suspect there are several "television" actors/actresses that could make te jump to silver screen, most notably: Brad Whitford, Bill Sage, Chris Noth...maybe Peter Krause and Josh Charles.I don't watch that much tv so I'm sure I'm missing a few. How about Alison Janney?

Of the already-been-there club I'd say Giovani Ribisi, Morgan Freeman, and Bridget Moynahan in addition to those already mentioned.

Random thought: Other than Jimmy Smits, Eva Longoria/Mendes, and a few comedians I can't really think of many actors of Latino descent. Maybe that's something that needs to be addressed.

Gerald Cooperberg
08-04-2007, 10:26 AM
How about Gael Garcia Bernal? Jennifer Lopez? Edward James Olmos? Andy Garcia? Freddy Rodriguez? John Leguizamo? Wilmer Valderrama? Michelle Rodriguez? Marc Anthony? Paz Vega? Bobby Cannavale? Miguel Ferrer? Luis Guzman? Benjamin Bratt? America Ferrera? Michael Peņa?

But yeah, still underrepresented as a whole.

-Coop

bobsticks
08-04-2007, 10:38 AM
O.K. Good point.

Actually, you just provided another set of answers to the question. I'd love to see more of Edward James Olmos, Miguel Ferrer, John Leguizamo, Michele Rodriguez, and Luis Guzman. Probably not enough "hispanic" roles or vehicles in Hollywood to keep these folks working as much as they should.

I could stand to see less of Wilmer Valderama and Marc Anthony.

I didn't even realize Benjamin Bratt was Latino. I know, not very observant. It comes from being self-absorbed. :biggrin5:

Good examples overall.

Gerald Cooperberg
08-04-2007, 05:05 PM
I had a discussion the other day with someone about Heath Ledger and the fact that he is often misused in roles. HIs last few films have all been terrible roles: BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN, THE ORDER, NED KELLY, THE BROTHERS GRIMM, THE FOUR FEATHERS, A KNIGHTS TALE, and THE PATRIOT. With the exception of MONSTER'S BALL, he just doesn't get parts that seem to match him well. I am quite curious though about him as "The Joker" in the upcoming DARK KNIGHT...I think this could be a good move for him career-wise.

Hollywood also can't figure out how to use Ryan Phillippe either...he has had some interesting roles, but nothing really breakthrough for him. I liked him in BREACH and WAY OF THE GUN, but over the past 7 or so years he really hasn't been in too many movies.

Then there's John C. Reilly...awesome actor with a load of movies to his name and a wide variety of roles as well, but he still hasn't done anything lead-wise. This guy is a class actor who doesn't need to be doing side bits in ANGER MANAGEMENT or TALLADEGA NIGHTS or even DARK WATER for that matter. He was perfect in THE HOURS, THE AVIATOR, MAGNOLIA, GANGS OF NEW YORK, and of course...CHICAGO. When is he going to get back into his stride???

I thought I'd replied to this earlier but I guess not. I agree with you that Heath Ledger ought to get more serious work, but I thought that he was great in a couple of the roles you put down. His performance in Brokeback Mountain was a revelation and I even found him to be endearingly loopy in The Brothers Grimm, although I felt that film was incoherent overall. Same with John C. Reilly... he was a riot in Talladega Nights! I've got no problem with him doing those kinds of roles; he clearly enjoys himself in them.

Can't agree with Ryan Philippe at all. He comes from the Josh Hartnett school of acting... carved out of wood! He wasn't bad in stuff like Crash or Flags of Our Fathers, but I feel like you could've stuck anyone in those roles with similar results.

-Coop

jim goulding
08-28-2007, 05:14 PM
He was in the coolest little movie with Alec Baldwin called "Thick as Thieves". Another little gem like that is "Montana" with Kyra Sedgewick. Both are black comedies with the latter having the edge on plot of which there is a bunch.

My wife and I were kicking around actors for a remake of "Bullitt". She suggested Joaquin Pheonix and I replied with Andre Braugher. I thought she was gonna kill me.