Any news on new iPods? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Any news on new iPods?

ForeverAutumn
07-31-2007, 07:25 AM
Has anyone heard anything about a Gen 6 iPod being released? I've noticed the prices of the Gen 5's coming down and I'm thinking about replacing my Gen 4. But, I don't want to buy a new iPod only to have a newer, better model come out the following week.

My Gen 4 is still perfectly good so there's no need for me to jump into a new purchase if it would be to my benefit to wait a bit longer. I really just want gapless playback and a search function.

noddin0ff
07-31-2007, 11:12 AM
http://www.9to5mac.com/ipod-nano-video-ipod-touch-both-arriving-in-one-week-34563345

http://thinksecret.com/news/0707ipod.html

ForeverAutumn
07-31-2007, 12:18 PM
http://www.9to5mac.com/ipod-nano-video-ipod-touch-both-arriving-in-one-week-34563345

http://thinksecret.com/news/0707ipod.html

Thanks noddin. I suspected that there must be something in the works as the 80Gig has been on sale a lot lately and these kind of price drops usually happen just before a new release.

If I buy a new iPod at Future Shop, I have 30 days to return it. So maybe I'll buy it while it's on sale, and then if the 6G comes out in mid-August, I can still return the one I bought if I like the new ones better. I can't imagine how they can shave off an inch without making the click-wheel smaller.

Of course the price point on the new iPods will also play a large role in the decision.

noddin0ff
07-31-2007, 04:11 PM
I can't imagine how they can shave off an inch without making the click-wheel smaller.

Maybe they put the click wheel on the back? ;-)

you're welcome!

kexodusc
08-01-2007, 03:22 AM
I dunno, but I got to play with one of those slick new iPhones last week in Chicago. That is the absolute coolest gadget I've seen in years. I'm getting one. Wonder if they work in Canada yet?

Damn, I'm gonna have to try really hard to come up with a good lie to get work to buy me one.:idea:

FA: I hear ya on the gapless playback and search functions...ugh. I ended up getting an mp3 player that handles wma's instead. Sucks that I have to use wma's though.
oh well.

ForeverAutumn
08-01-2007, 04:24 AM
I dunno, but I got to play with one of those slick new iPhones last week in Chicago. That is the absolute coolest gadget I've seen in years. I'm getting one. Wonder if they work in Canada yet?

Damn, I'm gonna have to try really hard to come up with a good lie to get work to buy me one.:idea:

FA: I hear ya on the gapless playback and search functions...ugh. I ended up getting an mp3 player that handles wma's instead. Sucks that I have to use wma's though.
oh well.

Kex, you need an iPod. I know that some folks think that they're too expensive, but really, nothing else I've seen compares. I haven't actually seen the iPhone yet. But I just upgraded my Treo 650 to a 700p (I'm such a gadget geek!). So an iPhone isn't in the cards right now.

I was at the gym on the weekend, grooving along on the eliptical machine and the damn gaps between songs kept interupting my zone. :incazzato: I bought the 80gig last night. I just have to transfer all my tunes now. Gaps should no longer be a problem for me. :)

Feanor
08-01-2007, 05:32 AM

The last I heard the only service provider in Canada capable of supporting the iPhone is Rogers. Rogers are the greediest bastards in the industry, so they'll hold out for a bigger slice of the pie than what Apple will want to give them.

From the consumers point of view, Rogers' customer service (if not their actual product) is absolutely abysmal. One feels insulted and degraded whenever one has to deal with them. (E.g. I recently spent 30 minutes on the blower before I got to talk to an actual person, then had to talk to 3 separate actual persons before anything got done -- still not sure whether they did it right.)

ForeverAutumn
08-01-2007, 11:41 AM
The last I heard the only service provider in Canada capable of supporting the iPhone is Rogers. Rogers are the greediest bastards in the industry, so they'll hold out for a bigger slice of the pie than what Apple will want to give them.

From the consumers point of view, Rogers' customer service (if not their actual product) is absolutely abysmal. One feels insulted and degraded whenever one has to deal with them. (E.g. I recently spent 30 minutes on the blower before I got to talk to an actual person, then had to talk to 3 separate actual persons before anything got done -- still not sure whether they did it right.)

In my previous job, I had a Rogers Blackberry. When I left that job (four months ago), I gave the Blackberry back to my former employer and changed the name on the account to my former employer. Well, somewhere along the line Rogers did not remove my (Bell) cell phone number from the account.

The guy they hired to replace me inherited the Blackberry. It would appear that he has a habit of not paying his bills on time. So, who does Rogers collection dept call every month? ME!!!!

I have advised them FIVE TIMES that they have the wrong number and that I do not (any longer) have a Rogers account. And FIVE TIMES I've been apologized to and told that my number would be removed from the account. Guess who called me yesterday?! :incazzato: :incazzato: :incazzato:

I won't apologize for hijacking this thread with my rant since it was my thread in the first place and I can do anything I want with it. :p If anyone else would like to take this opportunity to unload about Rogers please be my guest.

Rich-n-Texas
08-01-2007, 12:23 PM
You say Rogers, I say AT&T wireless. Same difference though.

audio_dude
08-08-2007, 07:17 PM
ugh...rogers (and fido...which they own) are the only GSM providers in canada... but to get the same service and such that AT&T provides would cost approx. $150 a month, if not more.

Rogers sucks. All the big boys suck. I use Virgin mobile. They rock. (they run off the bell network...which is actually pretty nice)

audio_dude
09-01-2007, 10:24 AM
New iPods coming out on september 5th, see my other thread:

http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=24034

Cheers!