RIP Bill Walsh & Tom Snyder [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : RIP Bill Walsh & Tom Snyder

3-LockBox
07-30-2007, 08:17 PM
Two geniuses at what they did, though Walsh's legacy will be felt for decades to come.

Tom Snyder brought a radio-style talk show to TV and for a while, it was the best in the talk show format. All he did was talk, and let his guests talk, and for a while, everyone wanted to talk to Tom. He was able to coax the real person from the cellebrity, and was not intrested in any cellebrity of his own. Its a shame that no one is there to pick up the guidon after him.

Walsh - well, that's another story, since nearly every offense in the NFL bears his mark and he has numerous deciples. Walsh helped make the NFL America's favorite sport.

Rich-n-Texas
07-31-2007, 04:26 AM
Last night while watching the network news, they announced the death of Ingmar Bergman, Tom Snyder, Bill Walsh and a Houston news reporter who was apparently popular back in his day, one right after the other. I don't recall ever hearing the deaths of four prominent characters being reported in the span of five minutes before. Struck me as a bit strange.

GMichael
07-31-2007, 05:09 AM
The "West Coast" offense will live on for many decades to come. By guys. Thanks for contributions.

:17: :17: :17: :17: :17: :17: :17: :17: :17: :17:

Mr MidFi
07-31-2007, 05:35 AM
Apparently, Ingmar Bergman lost his chess match with the reaper as well. So the death trifecta is complete. RIP.

Troy
07-31-2007, 07:43 AM
For me Walsh was the best NFL coach of all time. 3/4 of the coaches in the league today can be directly connected to his branch of the tree. His offensive philosophy is still utilized by half the league. More important than Halas, Lombardi, Shula, any of them.

He owned this town, it's all anyone is talking about today.

3-LockBox
07-31-2007, 02:18 PM
More important than Halas, Lombardi, Shula, any of them.

I'll buy that. The other coaches were masters of preperation, but Walsh rewrote the book. As one sports talk personallity stated, "He elevated the position of coach from drill seargent/task master to philospher/educator. He changed the game from checkers to chess". You'd have to throw Bill Bellichek into the conversation as well, since he's done more with less, but they didn't start using the word genius associated with football coaches until Walsh.