Picked up Dave Grohl's Probot today. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Picked up Dave Grohl's Probot today.

Finch Platte
02-23-2004, 03:36 PM
And boy, is it heavy. Heeyuk.

In case you didn't know, it's a Grohlish tribute to some of the bands he'd listened to in his impressionable teens: Bad Brains, Black Flag, Husker Du, etc. After a fashion he began listening to heavier stuff: Venom, Sepultura, King Diamond. He recruited 11 of the singers from these bands to play over tracks he'd laid down, creating Probot. Four years in the making, with Grohl playing most of the instruments on every track.

Singers are:
Singer/band

Cronos/Venom
Max Cavalera/Soulfly/Sepultura
Lemmy/Motorhead
Mike Dean/C.O.C.
Kurt Brecht/D.R.I.
Lee Dorrian/Cathedral/Napalm Death
Wino/The Hidden Hand/Place Of Skulls/The Obsessed
Tom G. Warrior/Apollyon Sun/Celtic Frost
Snake/Voivod
Eric Wagner/Trouble
King Diamond/King Diamond

Plus an unnamed singer on a hidden track.

If you liked the Killing Joke disc, you might like this, altho it's a little less accessible :D Cotton to catch the blood draining from your ears is recommended.

fp

Jim Clark
02-23-2004, 03:53 PM
What took you so long? I figured you would have bought it on opening day. Less accessible than the Killing Joke. Aye carumba!

jc

Finch Platte
02-23-2004, 04:31 PM
What took you so long? I figured you would have bought it on opening day. Less accessible than the Killing Joke. Aye carumba!

jc

To Tower, that is.

Have you heard it?

fp

Jim Clark
02-23-2004, 05:06 PM
To Tower, that is.

Have you heard it?

fp

Nope and honestly I don't need to. If it's less accesible than KJ it's way more than I can handle in my advancing years. I just immediately thought of you when I heard of the release and figured you'd already be standing in a line to grab one. Not off by much I see.

Enjoy,
jc

PS-This may make my 300'th post! I'm expecting CGI balloons!

Dusty Chalk
02-23-2004, 05:42 PM
Yah! Rocks me like Fahrvergnügen. I can dig it. You can definitely hear a lot of the Voivod influence.

mad rhetorik
02-23-2004, 05:47 PM
Voivod is a great band. <b>Dimension Hatross</b> and <b>Nothingface</b> are two forgotten metal classics. Have you heard their new one, Dusty? It's got Jason Newsted of Metallica fame/infamy on it....he's listed in the credits as "Jasonic." Hehe.

Dusty Chalk
02-23-2004, 06:39 PM
No, I haven't heard too many good things about the new one. I should look for it at half.com...

Dusty Chalk
02-23-2004, 06:42 PM
PS It's spelled Voïvod. The umlaut makes it more metal.

jdeare
02-25-2004, 06:47 PM
I have this one as well. It's kinda hit or miss for me... I like "Shake Your Blood" but I'm not so fond of "Red War". Unfortunately, I only got that far before the Born Again in the cubicle next to mine started whining.

Another similar project, although not very good: the Eagles of Death Metal. Starring Josh Homme from Kyuss/QOTSA/Desert Sessions. Dave Grohl drummed on QOTSA's last CD, now that I think about it...

Finch Platte
02-25-2004, 07:43 PM
I have this one as well. It's kinda hit or miss for me... I like "Shake Your Blood" but I'm not so fond of "Red War". Unfortunately, I only got that far before the Born Again in the cubicle next to mine started whining.

Another similar project, although not very good: the Eagles of Death Metal. Starring Josh Homme from Kyuss/QOTSA/Desert Sessions. Dave Grohl drummed on QOTSA's last CD, now that I think about it...

He slammed the skinz on the latest Killing Joke disc- it's got to be the most bombastic display of drumming I've heard in a while. Have you heard it?

Who told you about this place? Go away! ;)

fp

jdeare
02-26-2004, 04:21 PM
I have heard it once, but I haven't given it a real good listen (computer speakers aren't too great). I never knew he was that good of a drummer before I heard "Songs for the Deaf" though...

He slammed the skinz on the latest Killing Joke disc- it's got to be the most bombastic display of drumming I've heard in a while. Have you heard it?

Who told you about this place? Go away! ;)

fp