With which band(s) would you use this device? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : With which band(s) would you use this device?

Finch Platte
07-29-2007, 05:23 PM
http://www.vocaleliminator.com/2004_7/Karaoke.jpg

Besides the obvious Dream Theater mentions, of course. :cornut:

I bought a CD today by a band called The Fall Of Troy (http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:fxfqxzl5ldde) (RIYL- Deftones, Coheed & Cambria), and while I really like the music, the screeching weaselality of the singer really turns me off. :frown2:

To what band(s) would you apply the Thompson Vocal Eliminator? Rush? The Blind Boys Of Alabama? George Bush? :ihih: Do his daughters have a band, yet? :idea:

fp

On a side note, what's with youngsters and their level of playing? Jesus, I've been playing drums for 30+ years and there's no way I could play like The Fall Of Troy, or countless others. Dammit. :nonod:

Luvin Da Blues
07-29-2007, 06:11 PM
Most country music...

unleasHell
07-29-2007, 07:34 PM
Most country music...

WRONG!

For Country Music..

you would need the MACH II

which eliminates

the Vocals

AND

the Instruments

Luvin Da Blues
07-29-2007, 08:53 PM
WRONG!

AND

the Instruments

At the very least the steel pedal guitar :cornut:

PeruvianSkies
07-29-2007, 09:51 PM

There is ONLY one person in the entire world who plays the steel pedal guitar. He happens to have about 10 tracks recorded, which every country* artist takes and puts into their songs. There are also only about 4 chord progressions in all of country music and IF there was a way that all of the country artists could pull this off, they could all use the same band since all of the songs are nearly identical, just with a slightly different vocal part. So in short, an instrumental country album can have every country lyric EVERY written inserted into it.

*when I am referring to 'country' I am talking about modern country, not true country music.

Luvin Da Blues
07-30-2007, 03:42 AM
There is ONLY one person in the entire world who plays the steel pedal guitar. He happens to have about 10 tracks recorded, which every country* artist takes and puts into their songs. There are also only about 4 chord progressions in all of country music and IF there was a way that all of the country artists could pull this off, they could all use the same band since all of the songs are nearly identical, just with a slightly different vocal part. So in short, an instrumental country album can have every country lyric EVERY written inserted into it.

*when I am referring to 'country' I am talking about modern country, not true country music.

That's funny and how F!!@kin true.

Actually theres some country I "like"..Johnny Cash, Waylon, Charlie Daniels come to mind.
Whats with this "cheezy" new country? I have to leave the room whenever Shania comes on .:nonod: But that just MHO.

3-LockBox
07-30-2007, 07:38 AM
I have to amit to being just a tad ambivelant opening a thread by Finch Plate with the word 'device' in the title...;)

I think I know more than a few prog acts that I'd use it on though, unfortunately.

BradH
07-30-2007, 08:00 AM
I think I know more than a few prog acts that I'd use it on though, unfortunately.

Oh man, the first band that popped into my head was Van Der Graaf Generator.

Swish
07-30-2007, 08:56 AM
Swish

3-LockBox
07-30-2007, 09:20 AM
Yoko Ono

and a couple of paper bags

GMichael
07-30-2007, 09:22 AM
U2.........
Big Country
Tina Turner

unleasHell
07-30-2007, 07:53 PM

Actually the old band MAN, had a guy BJ Cole who played an awesome pedal steel guitar..

ForeverAutumn
07-31-2007, 05:44 AM
Anything with cookie monster growls.

Swish
07-31-2007, 01:40 PM

I don't like cheesy 'modern country' either, but there were more than a few very good pedal steel players back in the day, and several of my favorite indie bands use it on occasion.

Sneaky Pete Kleinow is one who sticks out in my mind the most. He was part of the 'Barkersfield Sound' that was the precursor to country rock, and ended up playing some with the Gram Parsons and the Byrds. He was known as the Jimi Hendrix of pedal steel and eventually played with Flying Burrito Brothers, Joe Cocker, Delaney, Bonnie and Friends, and even Little Feat. He also added steel guitar to records by Frank Zappa (Waka/Jawaka, 1972), the Bee Gees (Life in a Tin Can, 1973), John Lennon (Mind Games, 1973), Linda Ronstadt (Heart Like A Wheel, 1974), and Fleetwood Mac (Heroes Are Hard to Find, 1974), before doing some solo records. Sadly, he died in January of this year from Altzheimer's.

I also liked the Buddy Cage from the New Riders of the Purple Sage, and Speedy West was phenomenal! I have one of his records and it would likely change your opinion of pedal steel.

My point is that, even though you're apparently blues damaged, you shouldn't dismiss an instrument, or its practitioners, so readily. There are a ton of rock/indie songs that use it effectively.

Swish

I

BradH
07-31-2007, 03:25 PM
There are a ton of rock/indie songs that use it effectively.

And speaking of the blues, let's not forget this guy...

Swish
07-31-2007, 04:59 PM
And speaking of the blues, let's not forget this guy...

Yep, even 'da blues has room for pedal steel. Ditto for jazz. In fact, Robert has played a bit with Los Lobos, Santana, and John Medeski to name a few.

Swish