Brief review of Frank Marino/Mahagony Rush show [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Brief review of Frank Marino/Mahagony Rush show

Hyfi
07-29-2007, 06:27 AM
We got our tickets on the day of the show after procrastinating for a few months on whether or not to see this show. Only really familiar with an older album Mahogany Rush Live from 1978, I knew he was always a fabulous guitarist. The show was just shy of a sellout so there were just under 600 at the Sellersville Theater.

The show started out at 8:15 with a long version of Voodoo Chile. Frank can play a lot of notes...real fast. 20 minutes later he stopped just long enough to let the audience clap for a minute. I had no idea what I was in for as this show became a Jam Band Fans dream. He played for close to three hours only stopping about 5 or 6 times. Although it was quite good, it tended to get long winded as his songs turned into endless leads. He did throw a lot of recognizable tunes into each medley. Allman Bros, Jimi, Muddy, Yardbirds, Zep, Sabbath, ect...

The band was real good as well. The drummer did not overpower and brought alot of offbeat jazzy chops to a mostly rock sound. Bassist was highly talented and threw in a little Jeff Berlin lines in the middle of his solo. The rhythm guitarist also played some wild fuzzy electric violin that was hard to tell apart from Frank's guitar.

The show was well worth the $21.50 per ticket. If anyone that loves Jam Bands and or Mahogany Rush, I recommend seeing this show if it comes your way.

Hyfi

unleasHell
07-29-2007, 07:39 PM
That's cool he is still around, I saw Mahogany Rush back in the mid-70's at the Santa Monica Civic Auditorium, on the anniversary of Hendix's death.

It was an awesome concert, most of the songs were from their first 2 or 3 albums, no too many mega-jams (as I recall...)

Wouldn't mind seeing him again...