B&W - real preamp or Denon [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : B&W - real preamp or Denon

Jim Addy
07-28-2007, 07:14 PM
I plan to buy B&W 805S as fronts and B&W 685 for rears. Center channel the B&W
HTM4S. I will buy Denon AVR-1907 receiver and I already have an NHT sub.

Next step will be to add a Rotel RMB-1075 amp and use the Denon as a preamp. I'm buying the Denon receiver because it can or will be used later for a bedroom stereo.

I'm really trying to determine if a preamp will make a really significant jump in sound quality over the Denon since I'm using a Rotel amp. Give me your opinion.

If I do go the preamp route, I will buy a Rotel or Parasound. Which would you recommend or is there another that mates well with these components?

I use my system 50/50 for home theater and music. My musical taste varies from classic rock to modern vocal jazz.

Thanks for your help

Jim

musicman1999
07-28-2007, 07:55 PM
With out a doubt,a preamp-processor will make a huge difference in sound over that Denon recieverThe 1907 is a large step down from the b&w speakers and will not allow them to sound their best.Good speakers need to be given good signals.If you want a reciever try a Rotel or Cambridge Audio or one of the higher model Denons.

bill

Mr Peabody
07-28-2007, 09:02 PM
A higher quality preamp processor will be a noticeable improvement over the Denon receiver's preamp section. This would be recommended with your quality of speakers and power amp you are looking at. The higher quality will be most appreciated on music playback but movie soundtracks also benefit from better sound.

If you are set on the Rotel power amp, I'd recommend going with the Rotel processor for best synergy.