Ever do stuff like this? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Ever do stuff like this?

unleasHell
07-27-2007, 10:13 PM
So I pull out some ancient comp from somebody here (davey?? Jim Clark??, or who??) called "Songs of the Dark Vol 1" and fall in love with the guys' voice in a band I had never heard of called Wolfsheim.

I do a search on All Music.com and read up about them, next thing ya know, I am spending $50+ (dollars) for FOUR of their CD's, still only having heard one lone song by them..

so I ask again, would you do something like that???

am I nuts or just a music fan???

PeruvianSkies
07-27-2007, 10:38 PM
So I pull out some ancient comp from somebody here (davey?? Jim Clark??, or who??) called "Songs of the Dark Vol 1" and fall in love with the guys' voice in a band I had never heard of called Wolfsheim.

I do a search on All Music.com and read up about them, next thing ya know, I am spending $50+ (dollars) for FOUR of their CD's, still only having heard one lone song by them..

This is no different than when I see a film that just blows me away and then I buy a few other movies from the same director without knowing anything about them. This has shown to be more beneficial than not, I have had more good experiences doing this than bad ones.

bobsticks
07-28-2007, 08:46 AM

Yeah, and the comp you're about to get is proof thereof. D brings up a topic and I do some curiosity shopping. Fortunately I'm pretty happy with the results.

As for the last question, I'm gonna avoid answering that on the grounds that it might be self-incriminating.

Jim Clark
07-28-2007, 12:45 PM

Yep, remember that one well. Not recalling the creator but some guy who was just passing through. Anyway, that comp was my intro to Wolfsheim as well. Spectators is the one to get but like you, I grabbed them all. The only real bummer was the live disc. this is not a live band. I've got a bootleg DVD of them in a big synthpop festival and mesmerizing they're not. Wasn't too wild about the last disc either for that matter but there is some good stuff in there to be sure.

jc

3-LockBox
07-29-2007, 12:30 PM
I can't tellya how many purchases have come comps I've received.

But has this happened? Have you ever lost the track list for a comp, a CD-R that has no titlr, and found that you love one or two songs on it but don't know that names of the songs or the artists? I had one like that a while back...the song was No More Shoes by Steve Malkmus. Figured that one out by accident when I checked out the CD from the local library. Then, about a year ago, I found the track listing while cleaning out an old cabinet. It was a comp by Slosh called Mid-summer Set.

unleasHell
07-29-2007, 07:41 PM
3-Lock, oh that would drive me nuts if I had a comp with no song titles and loved one (or more of the songs). It would be like a mystery disc...Hmmmm