Pissed if true [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Pissed if true

AreYouReady
07-27-2007, 07:07 PM
I just got my first IPod. My friend has had one forever. He told me that after a while I will have to send the IPod in to the factory because the battery can only be charged a certain amount of times. Then I will get it back after the factory replaces the battery or whatever. Is that true? Please tell me its not.

noddin0ff
07-28-2007, 05:32 AM
It's true for just about any rechargeable device, including iPods. With the iPods, the batteries are not user replaceable. You have to send them back to get a new battery. But you should get hundreds of recharge cycles out of it, potentially years of use. Why worry now? When the battery finally fails you might find yourself wanting a new player anyway.

Groundbeef
07-28-2007, 01:24 PM
By the time your battery wears out, your warrenty will be expired. They do sell aftermarket Ipod batteries, and you can get intructions off the net. It costs about $25 or to have it installed, about $40. Its about the same price for a new cell phone battery.

BTW my wife has had her Ipod for 2.5 years now, and the battery is still going strong.

Dont sweat it.

Rock&Roll Ninja
07-28-2007, 06:35 PM
I got mine in Sept. 03. Still going strong, if a bit scratched. The battery has been blown way out of proportion.

eisforelectronic
07-28-2007, 07:51 PM
http://www.ipodbattery.com/

audio_dude
09-01-2007, 09:57 AM
sorry for reviving this thread :P

But I've seen and heard way too many un-battery-educated people talking about how they always let their iPod go completly dead before charging them cause of the memory effect...

Well, the memory effect was with the first generation of recharegeable (namely Nickel-Cadmium) or N-Cd the only people that still use these are cheap chinese toy companies that make little toy cars and such that need rechargeables.

The next generation (Nickel-Metal Hydride) or N-Mh Mostly fixed the memory effect, it didn't last all that long, but worked with short discharges and long charges very well (i.e: cordless phones all still use these batteries) oh, and any rechargeable battery (energizer, duracell...etc...) you buy today, is N-Mh

Now, the big daddies of the rechargeable battery world: Lithium-Ion and Lithium-Polymer
(Li-Ion and Li-Poly) Well, these batteries are used in basically all rechargeable personal electronics on the market (well, ones that are of decent quality at least) because they can be made to fit just about any shape, are totally modular, and provide tremendous capacity in a small space (some say Li-Poly is better, which it probably is, but more expensive)

Li-Ion and Li-Poly both have recharge life cycles of about 400-600 charges. And no memory effect whatsoever. So don't worry bout your iPod battery going dead, and even if it does, you can always just buy a new one like said before, they're easy to replace in full iPod, but just about impossible in nanos (well, gen2 at least, gen1 is pretty easy) oh, and the mini (first iPod I ever dissected :))

ok, that was a huge post, but hope some people read it, very good for disspelling the battery rumors!

(P.S: new iPods on September 5th!!!)

jrhymeammo
09-01-2007, 06:45 PM
My Ipod Nano died this week, and it doesnt even charge up. I tried dropping it like it was an ugly baby, but that didnt fix itself either. I use it my car and I think it got too hot...

AD, should I take it apart and fix it myself? It's Gen 1.

Thanks dude,

Feanor
09-02-2007, 09:07 AM
My Ipod Nano died this week, and it doesnt even charge up. I tried dropping it like it was an ugly baby, but that didnt fix itself either. I use it my car and I think it got too hot...

AD, should I take it apart and fix it myself? It's Gen 1.

Thanks dude,

iPods are pretty notorious for bad batteries. Likely that's the problem. Nowadays I'm pretty sure you can buy after-market batteres that come with instructions and tools, for much less than returning the post-warranty item to Apple.

By the way, dropping them doesn't fix the ugy babies either.

jrhymeammo
09-03-2007, 07:11 AM
Thanx!

I found a replacement kit for $20.

JRA

MikeyBC
09-05-2007, 07:03 PM
If you search you'll see a few websites giving detailed instructions on how to take I-pods apart