If you could have only one Satchmo [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : If you could have only one Satchmo

dean_martin
07-27-2007, 06:45 PM
Do you dabble in several genres? Do you have a couple Miles Davis and Coltrane titles in the jazz section of your collection? Do you have a turntable?

I just received Classic Records' 45 Series special two-sided pressing of Satchmo Plays King Oliver w/St. James Infirmary and I Ain't Got Nobody and WOW does it blow my socks off. I think the whole album is like $50.00 and now I wish I had gotten it. I highly recommend this special two-sided pressing (for around $13), especially for those who dabble in jazz but prefer some other genre.

I sat my wife down and had her listen to St. James Infirmary and when it was over she exhaled like she had been holding her breath the whole time. I usually don't bother her with my music.

Luvin Da Blues
07-27-2007, 08:23 PM
That sounds very interesting.

Can't beat Satchmo for getting every once of emotion out of any song he does. The only "modern" musician/singer that comes close IMHO would be Joe Cocker when he's on his game.

dean_martin
07-27-2007, 09:26 PM
here's a link to music direct, blues man:

http://www.musicdirect.com/products/detail.asp?sku=LCLA91058%2F45

Acoustic Sounds has it too. Music Direct's price is lower, but Acoustic Sounds' shipping charges are generally cheaper.

MindGoneHaywire
07-27-2007, 09:36 PM
That sounds very interesting.

Can't beat Satchmo for getting every once of emotion out of any song he does. The only "modern" musician/singer that comes close IMHO would be Joe Cocker when he's on his game.

Tom Waits?

Luvin Da Blues
07-28-2007, 03:46 AM
Tom Waits?

How did I forget Tom.Thanks :)

Luvin Da Blues
07-28-2007, 07:27 AM
here's a link to music direct, blues man:

http://www.musicdirect.com/products/detail.asp?sku=LCLA91058%2F45

Acoustic Sounds has it too. Music Direct's price is lower, but Acoustic Sounds' shipping charges are generally cheaper.

I was going to order this based on your recommendation (especially considering the exchange rate right now) but their outta stock. Damn :mad5: I keep checking. I'll check the AS site.:cornut: Thanks

nobody
08-01-2007, 01:19 PM
Hard question. I have a moderate sized stack of Louie Armstrong records at home, even a couple albums full of 78s. But, I don't have much that would really be considered definitive, except the Hot 5s and 7s box, which would certainly be in the running I'd guess.

But, ya know, the one I probably play more than any of the rest is the one where he does nothing but covers of Fats Waller called Satch Plays Fats.

I also play the good ol' Verve Greatest Hits a ton.

And, of course, Ella & Louis always hits the spot...
http://static.rateyourmusic.com/album_images/4562.jpg

I doubt I'd spring for the 45 RPM stuff, but I may have to hunt down a copy of Satchmo Plays King Oliver sometime.

hifitommy
08-12-2007, 12:09 PM
where do you live? it says you have 78s, wnat some more? if you live in the LA area you can have a bunch free! about 100 12" classicals and some pop including an elvis.

nobody
08-13-2007, 03:38 AM
Unfortunately, I'm landlocked in the midwest, St. Louis. And, I know those suckers are way too heavy to ship en masse. But, thanks for offering 'em up.