Any RR Elvis Costello comps out there? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Any RR Elvis Costello comps out there?

Finch Platte
02-23-2004, 01:51 PM
I was in Tower today, and thought "gollee gee, if I only knew which EC disc to pick up! Maybe a comp from an RR member would help me decide which 10 EC discs to start with!"

Anybody willing to work a trade?

Thanks,

fp

Slosh
02-23-2004, 01:58 PM
Mr. MidFi has a very good one in the can. Go pester him about it :p

MindGoneHaywire
02-23-2004, 02:47 PM
The first four are absolutely essential. My Aim Is True, This Year's Model, Armed Forces, & Get Happy!

After that, opinions start to differ. The first four cover a good chunk of the essential tracks & nearly all the hits. The Ryko reissues added a boatload of bonus tracks on each disc, some of which had previously appeared on oddball collections like Taking Liberties & Out Of Our Idiot. I think that most of the guy's body of work is very solid, but the first four are, I think most would agree, the strongest, and also the most rockin'. As a songwriter this guy's up there with just about anybody in the rock'n'roll universe & nowhere is it clearer than on those albums. Get 'em.

JDaniel
02-23-2004, 08:21 PM
Mr. MidFi has a very good one in the can. Go pester him about it :p
Agreed - it's a damn fine comp. He sent me that along with a Springsteen comp a couple of years ago, and I can recommend them both.

Or if you are interested, you could hop on that bike and take the "Tour de Southeast" and visit my local library. They have about a dozen E.C. albums.

JD

audiobill
02-24-2004, 03:37 AM
Hey, Finchie.

You are in for a real treat with Elvis Costello.

Tell ya what. I'll pull together a comp for you from my various discs.

Email me, so that we can "talk" further.

Cheers,

Bill aka audiobill ....Syzmxhountalas@aol.com

Gresh
02-24-2004, 07:55 AM
Also try "Trust" - very strong along with the first four.

jasn
02-24-2004, 08:03 AM
If you add Imperial Bedroom to the ones already recommended you could pretty much stop there. (I have, for CDs)

Mr MidFi
02-25-2004, 12:55 PM
I was in Tower today, and thought "gollee gee, if I only knew which EC disc to pick up! Maybe a comp from an RR member would help me decide which 10 EC discs to start with!"

Anybody willing to work a trade?

Thanks,

fp

Sorry I didn't see your post till now...I've been busy elsewhere. I'd be happy to send you a disc...I'm pretty sure it's still on my hard drive. And I think I still have your addy stashed away someplace. No recompense is necessary.

P.S. If you just can't wait for an EC disc, I always recommend Armed Forces as a good starting point. It's one of my all-time top 20. The first 2 are also classics.

Finch Platte
02-25-2004, 01:02 PM
Sorry I didn't see your post till now...I've been busy elsewhere. I'd be happy to send you a disc...I'm pretty sure it's still on my hard drive. And I think I still have your addy stashed away someplace. No recompense is necessary.

P.S. If you just can't wait for an EC disc, I always recommend Armed Forces as a good starting point. It's one of my all-time top 20. The first 2 are also classics.

Yeah- I had Armed Forces on LP, and remember it being quite good.

Can't wait to hear your comp- it comes highly recommended ;)

Thanks,

fp