b&w speakers - which amp [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : b&w speakers - which amp

lubej
07-27-2007, 02:10 AM
Hello

I need your advice. Which receivers go well together with b&w 600 series. I'm thinking abut onkyo 705 or 805, what do you think, is this good combo.

Thanks.
Br

basite
07-27-2007, 02:41 AM
Welcome to the forums,

which speakers from the 600 series do you have?
and what's your budget?

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

lubej
07-27-2007, 05:24 AM
At the moment I don't have anything. I'm just investigating. I'm thinking of buying onkyo 805.

Regarding speakers I was thinking bw 684, 685, htm61... , but maybe I wuold also try monitor audio rs6 av- very good reviews.

I'm open to any suggestion.

Br

elapsed
07-27-2007, 03:10 PM
B&W 600 Series and Monitor Audio Bronze/Silver Series have amazing synergy with the Rotel RSX-1057. Highly recommend this combo, if budget permits. Keep in mind that the Rotel is an excellent mid-fi receiver with minimal features, focused on sound quality. The Onkyo is more focused more on bells and whistles. If possible, audition both combo's before purchasing and let your ears decide.

Jack in Wilmington
07-27-2007, 03:44 PM
I second the Rotel RSX-1057. Also the Rotel RX-1052 if the budget is stretched to far. If you like NAD try the C720BEE. It may only be 50 wpc, but sometimes quality is better then quanity.

rshad0000
07-28-2007, 06:14 PM
I third the Rotel recommendation. The Rotel reciever sound great for the money; especially with B&W.

Mr Peabody
07-28-2007, 09:25 PM
In the "mass merchant" type receivers, Onkyo is one of my favorites simply because of their strong amp section. But if you can go it, as mentioned, you will gain better overall sound from the Rotel. Another good performer is the Arcam receivers for sound. I've not heard them with any B&W. I find the Arcam more lively, or less polite, than Rotel receivers. NAD would also be one to look at if wanting something better than mass market offerings.

Elapsed has probably answered your question best though with known matches that work/sound good together. It's good for your ears to explore other options though so you can be satisfied you made the right decision.

PeruvianSkies
07-29-2007, 05:14 AM
Here's a question for ya....what's an amp 'suppose' to sound like anyway? If an amp 'sounds' a certain way are you using that to offset the way the speakers sound?

NickWH
07-29-2007, 05:22 AM
Agree with recommendations for Rotel, Arcam and NAD. You may also want to look at the Cambridge Audio receivers. A used B&K receiver would also be nice.

Mr Peabody
07-29-2007, 09:41 AM
Idealy, an amp should be neutral just amplifying, and maintaining, the characteristics of the source signal. But, contrary to what some believe and say, amplifiers do exhibit different sonic reproductions, even with everything else remaining the same in the system. This is one reason I feel the best system synergy is sticking with the same brand, amp/preamp and even CD player. Krell and Naim are prime examples. Krell does alright mixed with other brands but when you get all the Krell pieces in the chain, something extraordinary happens. One of the guys here recently discovered the same thing with his Naim system. Some of the differences in amps are capability and some are manufacturers trying to recreate the way they think music should sound, or the way they think you want it to sound.

As we are talking about Rotel, in my experience, or to my ears, I find them to have a distinct type of sound. They seem quite laid back opposed to an amp like Arcam that is one of the quickest amps I've heard. Due to the different responses of amps, certain speakers will have better synergy with the amp. As much as I like both Krell and Martin Logan, I found I preferred ML's with a less analytical, or warmer amp than Krell. Well, tubes, to be precise. And, to make it more fun, all of this is subjective to the listener. Much of which depends on what equipment you've heard before and reference.

jrhymeammo
07-29-2007, 05:33 PM
As we are talking about Rotel, in my experience, or to my ears, I find them to have a distinct type of sound. They seem quite laid back opposed to an amp like Arcam that is one of the quickest amps I've heard.

I couldnt agree more.

When B&W is mentioned, people will naturally type "Rotel", but I would say if you asked this question in Japan, some people would automatically type マランツ.

Marantz and B&W are partners in Japan, while Rotel, Classe, and B&W work together in numerous countries. But I enjoyed Rotel and B&W combo I used to have. But sometimes, I thought it sounded soft and lacking from time to time.

I've read some good things about Outlaw AV receiver. Might be somem to look into.

HRA

lubej
07-29-2007, 10:30 PM
Thank you for your answers.

The problem I have is that rotel does not have dealers in our country :nonod: so I can not test it. Maybe I can drive to other county and test it there, will see.

Br

Mr Peabody
07-30-2007, 03:44 PM
What amps do you have access to for audition? Another option would be to buy from an internet retailer that will allow a 30 day return policy. If there is no Rotel dealer in your area, you can try contacting them to see what they would do. Maybe they will hook you up with a rep who will allow an audition or sale with return time.

basite
07-31-2007, 03:48 AM
The problem I have is that rotel does not have dealers in our country :nonod: so I can not test it. Maybe I can drive to other county and test it there, will see.

Br

where do you live? I can't possebly imagine a country that doesn't sell rotel...

have you considered Exposure, I heard good things about them, they don't build receivers I think, but they do build integrateds & seperates, at not too high prices :)

lubej
07-31-2007, 11:02 PM
Hello

I live in Slovenia, I have checked rotel web page and dealer for slovenia is not mentioned.

I have access to yamaha, denon, maranz, denon, harman kardon.

Regarding speakers I have find dealer for monitor audio speaker so I will check rs6 (fronts), rs1 (rears), rslcr (center), rsw12 (sub). what is your opinion for this speakers.

For b&w there is also no dealer in our country but I can buy them only thruogh grey import.

Thank you.
Br

basite
08-01-2007, 03:44 AM
I also use rotel an older RB-951.

you can see it here.

not him again!

Mr Peabody
08-01-2007, 04:07 PM
Out of the receivers you have access to Denon is probably the most popular here in the U.S. Marantz is in the same family and pretty good too. HK I haven't much experience with their HT stuff. But at one time they made some of the best stereo receivers going. Some people here like Yamaha but they are my least favorite next to maybe JVC or Pioneer or Sony. I guess that would actually put them somewhere in the middle of my list.

Tnega
08-04-2007, 03:28 AM
[QUOTE=ericajones2001]I also use rotel an older RB-951.

you can see it here.

What a fud. and so small too. :rolleyes:

RGA
08-07-2007, 06:40 AM
Basically when it comes to receivers you want to find the one that has the features you want and or need. For home theater you want to find the receiver that has the best processing ability and you can look at various home theater magazines.

When it comes to the actual sound of the receiver there are relatively serious compromises some of which are more or less evident depending on the speakers, the kinds of music you listen to, budget, experience of the listener, and general expectations you personally have.

I have not heard the new 600 series but the old 600 series was fairly accepting of anything. Most receivers sound very much alike to such a degree that I would place the biggest emphasis on features and durability and how good the remote control is. Don't discount the ergonomics. Buying a receiver is arguably a sonic compromise so if you are going to make it you may as well tip the scales as far as you can to what receivers offer. The best features, the most ergonomically sensible unit and one that is simple to use. The British units in my view are still compromised and often rely on name brand recognition and a certain "prestige" factor that IMO has left them. Arcam is not as good as they used to be for example and they have converted more to feature boxes but rely on their "name" to suggest a premium of sound over the Japanese units.

You may of course still like a Rotel or Arcam better and they may very well be better - but be sure to really listen to them with the B&W's and go over all of the features the units offer. Do the homework and do the listening. You will feel a LOT better about your decision than relying on others to decide for you.

fudgemik
08-07-2007, 12:57 PM
Out of the receivers you have access to Denon is probably the most popular here in the U.S. Marantz is in the same family and pretty good too. HK I haven't much experience with their HT stuff. But at one time they made some of the best stereo receivers going. Some people here like Yamaha but they are my least favorite next to maybe JVC or Pioneer or Sony. I guess that would actually put them somewhere in the middle of my list.

Dont compare yamaha to sony, jvc, pioneer, ///////yamaha is way better...................the big 3 are denon- yamaha- marantz.....In that order as far as ht-receivers............Yamaha getting no respect because they wouldn't bear that damn thx logo........good for them , the hell with george lucas, everything has that logo now................ Sorry, had to get that off my chest........

PeruvianSkies
08-07-2007, 05:07 PM
Dont compare yamaha to sony, jvc, pioneer, ///////yamaha is way better...................the big 3 are denon- yamaha- marantz.....In that order as far as ht-receivers............Yamaha getting no respect because they wouldn't bear that damn thx logo........good for them , the hell with george lucas, everything has that logo now................ Sorry, had to get that off my chest........

I would take a Pioneer Elite over Yamaha any day of the week and twice on Sat and Sun. Also, Yamaha is nowhere near the quality of Denon or Marantz.

Mr Peabody
08-07-2007, 06:32 PM
I don't remember the model but Yamaha did have a receiver that was THX certified. I don't give Yamaha respect because they haven't shown me anything to deserve it. Yamaha still has those that cling because of, well I don't know why, their vintage gear wasn't that great either. but they are a Best Buy bottom feeder just like Sony and Pioneer. I put them above Sony and Pioneer though because they have some bass response opposed to almost none. I think people like Yamaha because of them being on the warmer side of most mass market receivers. Although Yamaha has a bass response it lacks detail. I've heard a lot of Yamaha and owned some in the past, it all had a certain sound signature, the bass was bluming with no detail and the mids/highs were warmer and lusher compared to similar priced mass-market gear. I can understand that being more appealing than Pioneer, Sony or JVC where there is a lack of real bass response and they tend to be quite bright. The old Pro Logic Yamaha amplified processor I had was very reliable and feature packed. I also had a vintage Yamaha integrated that really made me lose respect, it retailed new around $700.00, I bought it used, it was designed so that when one of the bright lights inside the front panel buttons burned out, the unit quit working. I took it to the shop dead, I couldn't believe it when the guy told me he just replaced one of the bulbs. I'm not out to trash Yamaha, there's worse, but it's not in the top contenders of home theater either.

That's my opinion, take it, or leave it, but you ain't going to change it, unless I hear a Yamaha that does it.