TV Help [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : TV Help

poneal
02-23-2004, 01:34 PM
I have recently noticed that when I turn on my TV that the upper portion of the screen (about 1") all the way horizontally across has lines across it. After the TV warms up (about 1-2 minutes) these lines disappear. I can still see the picture through these lines but they are annoying until they disappear. Anyone know what this is and how to fix it? Thanks, Paul.

woodman
02-24-2004, 12:20 PM
I have recently noticed that when I turn on my TV that the upper portion of the screen (about 1") all the way horizontally across has lines across it. After the TV warms up (about 1-2 minutes) these lines disappear. I can still see the picture through these lines but they are annoying until they disappear. Anyone know what this is and how to fix it? Thanks, Paul.

Are these lines pencil-thin and go straight across the screen at a slight diagonal? If so, they are vertical retrace lines. They occur when the elctron beam(s) in the CRT must return to the top of the screen from the bottom to begin another field of horizontal scan lines. They are supposed to be blanked out by circuitry within the set whose only job is the suppression of these lines. The fact that you're seeing them (but only in the top 1" of the screen) indicates that there's a defect of some sort in this circuitry. To correct it would require some "detective work" and then some "surgery" by a competent tech - which are becoming more and more scarce as time goes on. I suggest that you simply ignore the "problem" unless and until it gets worse and doesn't disappear after a few minutes of playing time like it's doing now.

poneal
02-24-2004, 01:55 PM
Yup they are pencil thin and go straight across. They don't go diagonal though. Pretty much straight across all the way. There are gaps between the pencil thin lines approximately 1/16" to 1/8" (somewhere in there). Guess I will live with it until it gets so bad that it needs replacing. Thanks, Paul.