Can new floorstanding speakers outperform similiar "old model" speakers? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Can new floorstanding speakers outperform similiar "old model" speakers?

cocopeep
07-26-2007, 03:40 AM
I own a classic pair of JSE floorstanding speakers that are about 23 years old. This has a 1" metal dome dynaudio D-28 AF tweeter, 6" mid, 2-10 polypropelene woofers, bi-wirable. Can a new speaker such as B&W, JM Focal with similar drivers outperform an old classic?

pixelthis
07-28-2007, 01:53 AM
I own a classic pair of JSE floorstanding speakers that are about 23 years old. This has a 1" metal dome dynaudio D-28 AF tweeter, 6" mid, 2-10 polypropelene woofers, bi-wirable. Can a new speaker such as B&W, JM Focal with similar drivers outperform an old classic?
Its not a function of age, its a function of build quality and good design.
I recently traded a set of klipsch speakers (1700 bucks) to a friend to get my b&w
602s2's back, with a matching center and a pair of dm305 floorstanders I use for rears.
I also got my asw2500 sub back but will have to put a new amp in
This is because these older speakers were made in england by people who care, with great stuff like natilus tweeters, and are a lot more "solid".
The Klipsch have standard titanium tweeters that drill into your brain, and were built in China , probably by political prisoners.
DO THOSE JSE speakers sound good to you? Are they in good shape?
Speakers last a long time, and good design never goes outta style:thumbsup:

MikeyBC
07-30-2007, 07:15 PM

The answer is simple.....Yes and No.

filecat13
07-30-2007, 08:39 PM
Your question is almost unanswerable, yet it's bound to generate lots of discussion. The only accurate response is "maybe."

In my circle of JBL-centric friends, seven or eight out of ten assuredly will confirm that the vintage gear is better than anything current. I'm not one of them, but they have compelling arguments for their opinions.

They'll assert superior craftsmanship, classic design, massive componentry, and prodigious output as hallmarks of vintage superiority.

I'll rebut them with superior enclosure design, technologically advanced drivers, time and phase alignment, improved network design, and advanced materials.

Which is truly better? Well, as in all things relating to the senses, it's in the eye/ear/nose/tongue/hand of the beholder.

For my money, I'll buy new, thank you very much.

PeruvianSkies
07-30-2007, 09:30 PM
This question is like asking what is better...a new car or an old one? Which can only be answered in a case-by-case situation since there are so many factors to consider. First, what is the condition of both, are they similar or nearly exact models, do they have the same or similar parts, and various other things. There won't be a definite answer to this and like automobiles, some prefer the vintage stuff, while others prefer the newer technologies. Your best bet is to try them both side by side and determine for yourself.

pixelthis
07-31-2007, 02:20 AM
The answer is simple.....Yes and No.
Very decisive of you... duoh!:incazzato: