speaker do i use receiver or amp [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : speaker do i use receiver or amp

fudgemik
07-25-2007, 09:23 PM
Hey guys, i have a pair of b&w 604s3. I currently have them hooked up to my yamaha rx-v2300..Would the speakers sound any better on a parasound amp? Im thinking about buying a hca1000a....the receiver is 100w at 8 and the amp is 125w at 8.....I guess i want to know how different is the power? Is there a big difference from the receiver power vs. the amp power?, thanks..................

brulaha
07-25-2007, 10:33 PM
I would give it a try. I certainly noticed a difference when switching to better amplification and I still use my old receiver as a pre amp. Many will point out that you don't gain more "volume" in upgrading amps. However, I believe the amp section in this particular yamaha was not well received. Their later models, 2500, 2600, etc. were more highly regarded in reference to amplification. Not to say that the 2300 is bad, but I don't think this was it's strong suit, however I don't have any direct experience. In upgrading, I don't think you'll hear an earth shattering difference. However I found resolution, clarity and overall "tightness" definitely improved.

pixelthis
07-26-2007, 01:16 AM
Seperate amps mainly have better power supplies, and more reserve, and better componets, mostly.
How do modern receiver manufacturers cram 7 amps into a tiny box and charge fire
sale prices for em? THEY CHEAT.
Their receivers will meet the "specs" they say all right, for about a minute or two.
TRUTH IS MOST AMPS in receivers are only called on to put out a few amps at a time,
five watts will just about make you deaf.
So if you can afford it sure, get a seperate amp, it will sound better, just make sure you can return it if you dont think its worth it:18: