John Candy Best Movie. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : John Candy Best Movie.

Smokey
07-25-2007, 03:19 PM
According to imdb, John Candy had parts or stared in 66 movies and TV series. But mots of them (especially the earlier production) seem to be just a bit parts here and there. So these are the list movies that he at least had a healthy part or was the main lead.

IMO, two or three of his movies qualify as his best. But can’t decide on which one is the winner. May be a poll will help :D

http://www.thebiographychannel.co.uk/images/biographies/main/962_bio_homepage_main.jpg

PeruvianSkies
07-25-2007, 07:10 PM
Before I decide I needed to know a few things...

Are we choosing the best movie out of the 10 listed or are we choosing the best performance of John Candy out of those 10 films? Or are we choosing his best role in the best movie out of the choices? You see, these can make a huge difference in the outcome because for me the best film would be PLANES, TRAINS, and AUTOS, but I liked his character the best in either UNCLE BUCK or in THE GREAT OUTDOORS.

eisforelectronic
07-25-2007, 08:26 PM
lips and a$$h0les

RGA
07-26-2007, 04:18 AM
Well the title says John Candy's best movie - so that is Planes Trains and Automobiles by a mile. But He was quite good in many others. I liked his role in Splash as well as Tom Hank's upskirting brother.

JSE
07-26-2007, 07:26 AM
Well it's Planes, Trains and Automobiles for me with Summer Rental a close second. Summer Rental was just funny. I loved when the next store neighbor showed him her "new rack".

Smokey
07-26-2007, 03:55 PM
Before I decide I needed to know a few things...

Are we choosing the best movie out of the 10 listed or are we choosing the best performance of John Candy out of those 10 films?

Well I guess his best movie since in the other way, he might have a good role but the movie suck http://forums.torrentspy.com/images/smilies/wtf.gif

I am torn between PLANES TRAINS, Summer Rental and Only the Lonely. And the poll tilting toward Planes and Trains.

bobsticks
07-26-2007, 04:52 PM
Well, I went with "Planes, Trains, and Automobiles" but IMHO I wouldn't say the margin was measured in mileage. I loved "Stripes" but feel compelled to disqualify it in this poll as Candy really played a bit part. "Uncle Buck" deserves at least honorable mentioned just for "Moley Wart"...

ForeverAutumn
07-26-2007, 07:27 PM
I haven't seen all of those films, but of the ones that I've seen it was a tough call between Uncle Buck and Planes/Trains. But I went with Planes. I just downright love that movie.

Groundbeef
07-27-2007, 08:32 AM
I really like Planes Trains and Autos, ALOT. And as I get older, and travel more, every time I get into an airport I can hear the score from the movie playing in the background. Especially when an delay or cancellation is announced.

I also love the "We've been drinking" scene, the "We can buff that out" line, and too many others to count.

Uncle Buck is a very close second, and depending upon the day, can become my favorite.
Calukin (sp) does a good job as a half-pint straight man in that film.

Quagmire
07-27-2007, 08:53 AM
Had to go with Planes, Trains & Automobiles: An absolute classic, although as others have mentioned, Candy brought great characters to life in many films in which he didn't even have the leading role. Stripes is a prime example of that -- wonderful and funny Bill Murray comedy -- made even funnier by Candy's portrayal of Dewey Oxburger or "Ox" for short. Speaking of Bill Murray... anyone interested in voting for his best movie or his best role?

Of the other films in which Candy did have the lead, I'd have to give "The Great Outdoors" and "Summer Rental" honorable mentions (in that order). I particularly liked John's depiction of "Chet" as the loving, tender, yet often exasperated father in the Great Outdoors. It's a role with which I can easily identify.

So Smokey... you got that black belt yet?

Q

Smokey
07-27-2007, 04:37 PM
So Smokey... you got that black belt yet?

Q

You know darn well that Grasshoppers don’t wear belts :ciappa:

Hey Q, nice to see your name again. It bring back alot of memories from the old days. And please stick around to keep Wooch strait as he does fly off the handle once in a while http://forums.torrentspy.com/images/smilies/sterb1881bq.gif

I tend to agree with you about John candy’s movies. I guess will go with Planes, Trains & Automobiles as well being his best movie (it might also be Stave Martin best movie). And honorable mention to Summer Rental and Only the Lonely.

Woochifer
07-27-2007, 04:59 PM
Based on the poll, I would also lean towards Planes Trains and Automobiles -- just a great comedy all the way around. But, including his bit parts, I would have to go with The Blues Brothers. He was only in the last part of the movie, but his scenes were hilarious because he was playing against all these deliberately deadpan characters. "Who wants an Orange Whip?"

Hey Q, nice to see your name again. It bring back alot of memories from the old days. And please stick around to keep Wooch strait as he does fly off the handle once in a while http://forums.torrentspy.com/images/smilies/sterb1881bq.gif

Hey Smoke -

Why doncha pass me along some o' whatever yer puffin' on! Seems like freakin' gooooood stuff if you be seein' what u seein'! :6:

Good to see Q returning to the table, but it's still not quite same without him tag-teaming with Sir T!

Rich-n-Texas
07-27-2007, 06:14 PM

I tend to agree with you about John candy’s movies. I guess will go with Planes, Trains & Automobiles as well being his best movie (it might also be Stave Martin best movie). And honorable mention to Summer Rental and Only the Lonely.

There he goes again with those freaking smileys!!! :incazzato:

I'm going to vote for Uncle Buck. That's the one I remember best and would probably rent or watch on TV again.

Smokey
07-27-2007, 07:29 PM
There he goes again with those freaking smileys!!! :incazzato:

LOL....can you handle 1300 smilies (Warning:it will take 5 minutes to load the page).

http://forums.randi.org/misc.php?do=showsmilies

Quagmire
07-28-2007, 12:13 AM

"Fast as you can, grasshopper... snatch the pebble from my hand."

Thanks for the kind words, Smoke. I can tell you it was comforting to see that a few of the regulars from the "old days" were still here. It has been such a long time since I'd stopped by that I was afraid there wouldn't be anyone I'd recognize. Funny you brought Wooch up. He was actually the first person with whom I checked in. It may be difficult to tag team with Sir "The Terrible One" Terrence as Wooch suggested because I don't see much posting activity from him, but it is good to know that he's still hanging around as well.

Q