Onkyo DS575x no optical 2 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Onkyo DS575x no optical 2

apeiron59
02-23-2004, 12:28 PM
I have an Onkyo TX-DS575x receiver. I have been using the 1st optical input for some time. I just tried to connect the 2nd optical input but I cannot get the menu system to prompt for the optical 2 input. According to the manual and Onkyo tech support I should be able to assign any source - V1, V2, V3 etc. to any of the 2 optical or coax inputs. There should also be an "auto" setting that allows the receiver to automatically select the proper input. These do not present themselves. The menu goes from Optical 1 to Coax1 then Coax2, bypassing Optical 2 and "auto". It does this on all sources. Has anyone else experienced this problem? Any suggestions?

Worf101
02-23-2004, 12:59 PM
I'll check tonight and see. I didn't recall that this entry level receiver had multiple optical ins. More than one would be nice but I don't recall seeing it. I'll check and see if I can put another fibre optic in or assign an audio input of Optical 2.

Da Worfster

apeiron59
02-23-2004, 03:13 PM
The original model 575 only had 1 optical input. The next generation (575X) had 2 optical inputs. They are there. I can see 'em. They are also pictured in the manual. It seems as though the programming - at least on my sample- shortchanged the consumer. According to Onkyo tech support, if the optical 2 was already assigned to another input then I could not use it again. However, I checked ALL inputs. It is not assigned anywhere and is not offered as an option. The other curious thing is that supposedly you can simply choose "digital" and then "auto" and the receiver finds the correct inputs and assigns them. However I am never presented with that option. If it worked as stated in the manual I would be happy. But what the manual states and what I get are not the same.

Worf101
02-27-2004, 06:50 AM
I've got the 575 with the two optical ins. Mine seem to work just fine. Do you have optical cables plugged into both inputs. Perhaps the 575 doesn't read it unless you've something plugged into it. I don't know what else to say or try cept perhaps you need to have it looked at.

Da Worfster

apeiron59
02-27-2004, 01:21 PM
Thanks for getting back. I have read and reread the manual. I have an idea that I will try this weekend. For digital, I am using the V1 and V2 and optical 1 and 2. According to the manual, there must be an analog connection on V1 in order to be able to record out (and have sound). I only have the optical ins connected, no analog. I am going to plug in the analog also for V1 and see if I then have sound. Hope it works...