AUDIO-TECHNICA AT440MLa...Comments? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : AUDIO-TECHNICA AT440MLa...Comments?

Luvin Da Blues
07-24-2007, 06:50 PM
I just picked up a old Technics SL-210 TT with a pretty bad Grado 195 IE cartridge. Obviously I need a new cartridge and was looking at this AT440MLa from LP Gear for $85 (list $220).

I haven't ran a TT for quite a few years so I'm really out of date here. Any comments would be appreciated.

I know it's a cheap TT and will be upgrading later but I just wanna have some fun now. Thanks. :16:

http://www.lpgear.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=LG&Product_Code=ATC05&Category_Code=A3

canuckle
07-24-2007, 07:38 PM
The AT is generally considered one of the best cartridges available in the $100-400 price range. The internet communities seem to love it greatly aside from the occasional comment that it's a bit bright (more an issue in the 440ML than in the 440MLa). It is the best tracker that you will find anywhere and pretty much eliminates sibilance. It's the most obvious choice for anybody looking to upgrade their turntable for minimal cost.

Luvin Da Blues
07-24-2007, 07:56 PM
The AT is generally considered one of the best cartridges available in the $100-400 price range. The internet communities seem to love it greatly aside from the occasional comment that it's a bit bright (more an issue in the 440ML than in the 440MLa). It is the best tracker that you will find anywhere and pretty much eliminates sibilance. It's the most obvious choice for anybody looking to upgrade their turntable for minimal cost.

Thanks Canuckle,

It seems to be reviewed quite well and for the price it seems like a good deal, probably be ordering it soon.

Any comments on my 20 year old Discwasher brush (still in very good condition), should I be looking for something else or did this stand the test of time?? Cheers

BTW, do you happen to be a Canucks fan??

SlumpBuster
07-29-2007, 02:25 PM
I've had the AT 440ML for about 1.5 years now, but never hooked it up. Coincidentally, I just swapped it out about two weeks ago and all is good. Canuckle is right about brightness, but that was tamed pretty quickly. Frankly, if it's been awhile since you romanced your vinyl, the AT will have you wondering why you ever left.

It rivals my Goldring cart and is a steal at that price. Buy it with no worries. Couple it with something like this, and just fuggettaboutit: http://www.musicdirect.com/products/detail.asp?sku=LGET8011

Luvin Da Blues
07-29-2007, 02:58 PM
I've had the AT 440ML for about 1.5 years now, but never hooked it up. Coincidentally, I just swapped it out about two weeks ago and all is good. Canuckle is right about brightness, but that was tamed pretty quickly. Frankly, if it's been awhile since you romanced your vinyl, the AT will have you wondering why you ever left.

It rivals my Goldring cart and is a steal at that price. Buy it with no worries. Couple it with something like this, and just fuggettaboutit: http://www.musicdirect.com/products/detail.asp?sku=LGET8011

Thanks SlumpBuster, :thumbsup: just what I wanted to hear. I already ordered it and should be here this week, depending on customs.

I kept some of my vinyl form years gone by and can't wait to do a side by side with vinyl vs CD. I was one of the first (regrettably) to jump on the digital band wagon but after spending time on this forum it has sparked my interest in analogue again.

Now I just have to spend a few hours on the setup and I should be good. I kept my TT setup disk (Telarc OmniDisc) and am glad I did now.

Does anyone have a manual for this Technics SL-210? I have replaced the cables, power cord and put some damping material on the deck, I also have oiled the pivots, comments?. I WILL be getting a better table in the future but have a few more things to buy first (a matching center for one).

Any comments on the DiscWasher cleaning system? I imagine that cleaning brushes or washers have advanced as well.

Thanks again guys for your time to respond. :cornut:

Luvin Da Blues
07-29-2007, 03:03 PM
Couple it with something like this, and just fuggettaboutit: http://www.musicdirect.com/products/detail.asp?sku=LGET8011

Oh man Curtis....now your talkin. Now I have to make my Blues and Jazz vinyl collection all big and fat. :biggrin5:

jrhymeammo
07-29-2007, 05:03 PM
OK, I wrote about 7 paragraphs but the webpage kept closing for some reason. So I'll get to the point.

-$10 Carbon Fibre Brush
-MoFi record brush
-Record Research Labs - Super Deep Record Cleaner
-$0.59 spray bottle for RRL solution

I would stay away from DiscWasher, GrubGlide, LAST(except for Stylast), and DIY H2O/Isopro solution.

jrhymeammo
07-29-2007, 05:06 PM
I have a SL-220. How is speed stability with your SL? If you havent already, I would inspect your belt.

Have fun and best wishes,

JRA

Luvin Da Blues
07-29-2007, 06:08 PM
I have a SL-220. How is speed stability with your SL? If you havent already, I would inspect your belt.

Have fun and best wishes,

JRA

Thanks JR, :)

Time to get a new brush, thanks.

I ran the TT a couple of days back and the speed was all over the place but after a few hours of burn in the speed stabilized just fine. The seller said it had a new belt and when I got it that was one of the first thing I checked, if it isn't new it is almost new so no problems there.

I don't really know the diff between the 210 and the 220, newer model???

Ya wouldn't have a manual for this, that you could PDF and send to moi would ya? I can't seem to find one on the web. Actually I just need to know the overhang distance. Some other Technics TT say 52mm from the collar but I'm sure that it depends on each TTs arm length or do I just need a TT protractor?

Take care. LDB

jrhymeammo
07-29-2007, 06:12 PM
I was in search for a SL-220 manual but no dice. Good luck

Luvin Da Blues
07-29-2007, 06:23 PM
I was in search for a SL-220 manual but no dice. Good luck

I'll keep that in mind during my quest for the elusive Technics manual and send it to you if I have any luck. Cheers

JohnMichael
07-30-2007, 07:50 AM
Thanks JR, :)

Time to get a new brush, thanks.

I ran the TT a couple of days back and the speed was all over the place but after a few hours of burn in the speed stabilized just fine. The seller said it had a new belt and when I got it that was one of the first thing I checked, if it isn't new it is almost new so no problems there.

I don't really know the diff between the 210 and the 220, newer model???

Ya wouldn't have a manual for this, that you could PDF and send to moi would ya? I can't seem to find one on the web. Actually I just need to know the overhang distance. Some other Technics TT say 52mm from the collar but I'm sure that it depends on each TTs arm length or do I just need a TT protractor?

Take care. LDB

You need the Mobile Fidelity GeoDisc. It is an alignment guage the size of a record. You place it on the turntable and align it with the tonearm pivot. Then align your loosely mounted cartridge using the dent for overhang and then align the cartidge with the grid. The GeoDisc is universal and will work on any turntable. The best $50 you will ever spend.

Luvin Da Blues
07-30-2007, 09:49 AM
You need the Mobile Fidelity GeoDisc. It is an alignment guage the size of a record. You place it on the turntable and align it with the tonearm pivot. Then align your loosely mounted cartridge using the dent for overhang and then align the cartidge with the grid. The GeoDisc is universal and will work on any turntable. The best $50 you will ever spend.

Thanks for that John, :cornut:

I should check and see if my Omnidisk has that feature, it's been awhile since I even looked at it, if not I'll look at buying one of these.

What's your thoughts on those download protractors? Probably can't get them to print to the exact scale anyway.

JohnMichael
07-30-2007, 10:30 AM
Thanks for that John, :cornut:

I should check and see if my Omnidisk has that feature, it's been awhile since I even looked at it, if not I'll look at buying one of these.

What's your thoughts on those download protractors? Probably can't get them to print to the exact scale anyway.

The protractor from www.enjoythemusic.com is in agreement with the GeoDisc. It will print to the correct size. The nice feature about the GeoDisc is the single grid you use. It is very easy to be very accurate.

basite
07-30-2007, 10:46 AM
maybe a denon dl-110 will work too, however, that is a really good deal on the AT :)

get the brush, I've recently bought a stylus cleaning fluid from nagaoka, works great too :)

JohnMichael
07-30-2007, 11:10 AM
One of the nice feature of the 440 is the Micro Line stylus. The stylus footprint is tall and narrow. The stylus will play parts of the groove above and below where the typical elliptical stylus has worn the groove. Your records will sound better. I owned the 440ML and found it thin sounding. I am curious about the new aluminum cantilever and if the cartridge is warmer sounding. Also because of the way the stylus is cut it will last a long time with no drop in performance until it is completely worn. Sounds like I am trying to talk myself into trying a 440MLA.

Luvin Da Blues
07-30-2007, 12:00 PM
One of the nice feature of the 440 is the Micro Line stylus. The stylus footprint is tall and narrow. The stylus will play parts of the groove above and below where the typical elliptical stylus has worn the groove. Your records will sound better. I owned the 440ML and found it thin sounding. I am curious about the new aluminum cantilever and if the cartridge is warmer sounding. Also because of the way the stylus is cut it will last a long time with no drop in performance until it is completely worn. Sounds like I am trying to talk myself into trying a 440MLA.

How can you go wrong for that price. :)

Luvin Da Blues
07-30-2007, 06:33 PM
The protractor from www.enjoythemusic.com is in agreement with the GeoDisc. It will print to the correct size. The nice feature about the GeoDisc is the single grid you use. It is very easy to be very accurate.

Just checked out my Omnidisc (Telarc Digital DG-10073/74 - import pressing). This is a two record set.

Disk one, side one has the alignment grid and overhang gauge.

Disk one, side two has test signals/tones for channel verification, channel separation and tracking force/antiskating, turntable noise, TT isolation, cartridge microphonics, cart. phasing. tonearm & cart. resonance, wow & flutter as well as reference recording level. It also has 20Hz to 20KHz pink noise(1/3 octaves)

Disk two, side one includes tracking tests with relative channel balance & phasing as well as absolute phasing....

Disk two, side two is for setting up subwoofers and speakers for spread, imaging and EQing, etc.

I think this covers it all off. I forgot how much work this is gunna be...I'll be like a pig in chit.:biggrin5:

JohnMichael
07-31-2007, 07:06 AM
Just checked out my Omnidisc (Telarc Digital DG-10073/74 - import pressing). This is a two record set.

Disk one, side one has the alignment grid and overhang gauge.

Disk one, side two has test signals/tones for channel verification, channel separation and tracking force/antiskating, turntable noise, TT isolation, cartridge microphonics, cart. phasing. tonearm & cart. resonance, wow & flutter as well as reference recording level. It also has 20Hz to 20KHz pink noise(1/3 octaves)

Disk two, side one includes tracking tests with relative channel balance & phasing as well as absolute phasing....

Disk two, side two is for setting up subwoofers and speakers for spread, imaging and EQing, etc.

I think this covers it all off. I forgot how much work this is gunna be...I'll be like a pig in chit.:biggrin5:

It does look like the Omnidisc is going to get you aligned. I must say the GeoDisc is still easier to use. The GD has a sight line you point to the tonearm's pivot and then move the tonearm so the cartridge is in the grid. There is a dimple that when your stylus sits in the dimple overhang is correct and then you position the cartridge so the sides are parallel to the grid lines and you are finished. Some of the two point systems you go back and forth between the null points until you get the best at both.

Luvin Da Blues
07-31-2007, 05:16 PM
It does look like the Omnidisc is going to get you aligned. I must say the GeoDisc is still easier to use. The GD has a sight line you point to the tonearm's pivot and then move the tonearm so the cartridge is in the grid. There is a dimple that when your stylus sits in the dimple overhang is correct and then you position the cartridge so the sides are parallel to the grid lines and you are finished. Some of the two point systems you go back and forth between the null points until you get the best at both.

Thanks for all your input John.

As long as this is going to be effective then I'll stick with what I have but I will keep this GeoDisc in mind for future reference. Does this disk only work for straight arms or "S" arms to?

I like to tinker anyways and could put this money towards an album or two. :)

Cheers :cornut:

JohnMichael
08-01-2007, 07:05 AM
The GeoDisc and I would think the Omnidisc should work with any pivoting tonearm be it straight, j or s shaped. One thing is when you have aligned the cartridge do not be surprised if it is not perfectly parallel in the headshell. It is better for it to be parallel to the grid.

jim goulding
08-21-2007, 03:52 PM
Luvin da Blues . . my man. Every mother's son suckin air should have Kind of Blue. It'll cost you. Classic Records is the one to own. Get you a half a gallon of red wine and get introduced to blue jazz like I did. Also, If Only I Could Remember My Name by David Crosby and friends (check out the track Cowboy Movie- nobody get more timbre out of an electric bass than Jack Casady and the bass is steller on this) and Rough Trade by Pete Townsend and Ronnie Lane, another unique collaboration and good music also re-mastered and released on Classic Records. Gooood sound on these.

You can set your tracking angle by Kind of Blues and solicit some advice from members with experience using your cartridge on this. It's important!

Where's that blues thread? You da man.