PSB in AA.... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : PSB in AA....

PeruvianSkies
07-24-2007, 02:11 PM
Looks like PSB is in the latest Audio Advisor issue, which features the GT-1, GB-1, GC-1, and Subseries 8 subwoofer. Prices are decent and their website also has the Image line, but no Platinums.

http://www.audioadvisor.com/searchprods.asp?searchstring=psb&pagenumber=2&sort_on=&sort_by=&stype=brand&view_all=

Luvin Da Blues
07-24-2007, 05:02 PM
Thats what I'm talkin 'bout...

Don't understand why the GB-1 are $1100 where as the GT-1 are $1K..hmmm, unless it includes stands but still.

The GC-1 lists for $850USD...I was quoted $500CDN just a few days ago.

Just gotta save a few more dakmars then it's sittin on my shelf.

Edit:Misprint?? Probably should have read $1999??? Thats the price they list for up here in the Great White North

Luvin Da Blues
07-24-2007, 05:30 PM
Just a little caution if anyone is thinking about these. The finish is beautiful but is very soft. Mine had fine scratches just from dusting (with a soft cloth) and it really showed at the right angle.

Since, I have applied a super hard bees wax to it and will be very cautious in the future.

Uncauzi
07-27-2007, 10:23 PM
Luvin Da Blues, the GB-1 comes in pairs whereas the GT-1 is being offered individually. At least that's how I understand it.

Can you post some impressions? I'm wondering how they sound in comparison to the PSB Image series. But to be perfectly honest, the fact that it is prone to scratches is HUGE turn off. Enough for me to take the G-Design series off of my list of prospects for my upcoming home theatre. :( I absolutely love the way they look, but any scratches would drive me mad. I really hate when companies take the time to make their product look nice, only to do nothing to help preserve these aesthetics.

Were you able to do anything to get the scratches out? How is it going with the bees wax?

And if you don't mind me asking, where did you get the speakers? I'm in Canada as well and those prices sound pretty good.

PeruvianSkies
07-27-2007, 10:36 PM
Luvin Da Blues, the GB-1 comes in pairs whereas the GT-1 is being offered individually. At least that's how I understand it.

Can you post some impressions? I'm wondering how they sound in comparison to the PSB Image series. But to be perfectly honest, the fact that it is prone to scratches is HUGE turn off. Enough for me to take the G-Design series off of my list of prospects for my upcoming home theatre. :( I absolutely love the way they look, but any scratches would drive me mad. I really hate when companies take the time to make their product look nice, only to do nothing to help preserve these aesthetics.

Were you able to do anything to get the scratches out? How is it going with the bees wax?

And if you don't mind me asking, where did you get the speakers? I'm in Canada as well and those prices sound pretty good.

I don't know that I would let the finish deter you from the G-Design line, I mean all high-quality products are going to require a certain level of care in some way or another. It's just like buying a new car...you walk into the deal knowing that it requires care and that when you buy a black car you run the risk of the car looking scratched or muddy, but it looks so classy and sharp when you do take preventive measures and the same should hold true for speakers.

Uncauzi
07-27-2007, 11:15 PM
I'm a bit of a perfectionist (annoyingly so, my girlfriend tells me). Certainly, I do my best to take care of my things and keep them in tip-top shape. Luvin Da Blues mentioned that fine scratches were inflicted as a result of dusting. Dusting! That's way too soft for my liking. What more, I have a big curious dog. I'll be paranoid just unpacking the darn things.

If someone has a good way of preventing or "repairing" scratches on these things, then count me back in. :)

I don't know that I would let the finish deter you from the G-Design line, I mean all high-quality products are going to require a certain level of care in some way or another. It's just like buying a new car...you walk into the deal knowing that it requires care and that when you buy a black car you run the risk of the car looking scratched or muddy, but it looks so classy and sharp when you do take preventive measures and the same should hold true for speakers.

PeruvianSkies
07-27-2007, 11:26 PM
I'm a bit of a perfectionist (annoyingly so, my girlfriend tells me). Certainly, I do my best to take care of my things and keep them in tip-top shape. Luvin Da Blues mentioned that fine scratches were inflicted as a result of dusting. Dusting! That's way too soft for my liking. What more, I have a big curious dog. I'll be paranoid just unpacking the darn things.

If someone has a good way of preventing or "repairing" scratches on these things, then count me back in. :)

Dusting can easily cause scratches...you need to make sure you are using the proper cloths that do not pick up small stones or fibers that cause the scratches....these things are small, but can cause scratches very easily, same with a cars finish...you just have to be careful.

There are also products out there (like waxes) that do help fill-in the scratch marks to some degree...I've never tested these out on speaker finishes, but I am sure they work just as well as they do on other surfaces.

I can appreciate your cautiousness on the matter as well, which is why you should investigate the PSB M2 instead! haha! They are nearly the same price if you know the right place to shop!

Uncauzi
07-27-2007, 11:33 PM
I did a bit of Googling and here's what I came across:

2. Dusting your piano

Dust is very abrasive, and can scratch the finish if wiped off with a dry cloth. To avoid scratching, dust the piano lightly with a feather duster. Alternatively, wipe lightly with a soft damp cloth to pick up the dust, followed immediately with a dry cloth. The cloths should be soft cotton such as flannel, because coarse or synthetic fabrics can scratch some finishes. Wring out the damp cloth thoroughly so it leaves no visible moisture on the surface.

To avoid creating swirl marks, always wipe with long straight strokes rather than circular motions. Wipe with the grain for natural wood finishes, or in the direction of the existing sheen pattern for solid-color satin finishes.

http://www.ptg.org/resources-pianoOwners-finishCare.php

I'm guessing that this is pretty similar for speakers with a piano black finish. Talk about high maintenance! With that said, I wonder if you can get a piano technician to fix up the finish of your piano black speakers.

Uncauzi
07-27-2007, 11:55 PM
I can appreciate your cautiousness on the matter as well, which is why you should investigate the PSB M2 instead! haha! They are nearly the same price if you know the right place to shop!

Oooh, wouldn't that be nice! :D The thing is, I'm up in Canada and the pricing seems to be a bit strange. When I was looking at the PSB Image series, I compared US market prices versus Canadian market prices. As it turns out, it is significantly cheaper in the US (it kills me considering PSB is Canadian, but I digress...). But I guess it makes sense since the MSRP was determined at a time when the Canadian dollar was pretty weak.

However, times have changed and as you may or may not know, the Canadian dollar has since become much stronger. Accordingly, when PSB determined the MSRPs for the relatively new G-Design series, the Canadian and US numbers were much closer. Of course, this is pure speculation on my part. I don't actually know the Canadian MSRP for the G-Design series. I'm just going by the numbers quoted by Luvin Da Blues.

Luvin Da Blues
07-28-2007, 04:13 AM

First, hears the link to the dealer I bought them from.

http://www.visualsoundstore.com/

Talk to John, he's in Courtenay, BC. I auditioned them locally but was still cheaper ordering them from the island than buying locally even with shipping, go figure. Paid $1350CDN for the pair plus shipping (list for $2K)

Actually, I was looking at the Image T55, and thought I would have a listen to the GT-1s while I was there. The GT-1's have a better soundstage and imaging with better extension and have a overall fuller sound than the T55's but of course they are a bit more expensive too but, well worth it IMO. The T65s are a bit closer but still not in the game. I also did a side by side with the Infinity Beta 50s but the GT-1s still have a more uncolored sound. To be fair, the Betas are a good R&R speaker as they are more "punchy" than the GT-1s.

With respect to the finish, I was using a very soft cloth with no problems but the girlfriend used a different cloth one day while I was at work and thats where the scratches came from, She felt so guilty that I didn't pursue it any more, I'm assuming than she used a dishcloth or something (she said she used a soft cloth). I'm like you, anal retentive when it comes to looking after my "stuff".

The bees wax took out the scratches with a few coat and now I have a harder surface as a bonus. She no longer "dusts" my speakers.

:16:

Luvin Da Blues
07-28-2007, 04:16 AM

My car gets waxed 3 times a year. :cornut: and its silver.

Luvin Da Blues
07-28-2007, 04:17 AM
I did a bit of Googling and here's what I came across:

http://www.ptg.org/resources-pianoOwners-finishCare.php

I'm guessing that this is pretty similar for speakers with a piano black finish. Talk about high maintenance! With that said, I wonder if you can get a piano technician to fix up the finish of your piano black speakers.

Thanks. :)

Luvin Da Blues
07-28-2007, 04:38 AM
Just another comment. According to an article I read, the G design uses the same drivers as their acclaimed Platinum series.

PS, you're our resident expert on PSB, can you verify?

Uncauzi
07-28-2007, 11:00 AM
Huge thanks! That comparison is exactly what I was looking for! :yesnod: I was concerned that the G-Design series may have been a case of sacrificing a bit of sound quality for aesthetics. But it definitely sounds like a winner!

Thanks for the shop info. Seems like an excellent price! I'm over in the "centre of the universe" so I wonder what shipping would be like.

And I have to say, that extra bit of info regarding the scratches has restored some of my faith in these speakers. I just have to warn the girlfriend, dog and guests to never ever touch my gear! I knew someone whose mother-in-law decided to clean his stainless steel fridge with an abrasive scouring pad. That did not end well. BTW, do you have any links to where I can find more info about the beeswax technique you used?

Here's one more link with regard to dusting:

http://www.pianofinders.com/faqs/ownersfaq.htm

Interestingly, this guy puts feather dusters at the bottom of his list.

First, hears the link to the dealer I bought them from.

http://www.visualsoundstore.com/

Talk to John, he's in Courtenay, BC. I auditioned them locally but was still cheaper ordering them from the island than buying locally even with shipping, go figure. Paid $1350CDN for the pair plus shipping (list for $2K)

Actually, I was looking at the Image T55, and thought I would have a listen to the GT-1s while I was there. The GT-1's have a better soundstage and imaging with better extension and have a overall fuller sound than the T55's but of course they are a bit more expensive too but, well worth it IMO. The T65s are a bit closer but still not in the game. I also did a side by side with the Infinity Beta 50s but the GT-1s still have a more uncolored sound. To be fair, the Betas are a good R&R speaker as they are more "punchy" than the GT-1s.

With respect to the finish, I was using a very soft cloth with no problems but the girlfriend used a different cloth one day while I was at work and thats where the scratches came from, She felt so guilty that I didn't pursue it any more, I'm assuming than she used a dishcloth or something (she said she used a soft cloth). I'm like you, anal retentive when it comes to looking after my "stuff".

The bees wax took out the scratches with a few coat and now I have a harder surface as a bonus. She no longer "dusts" my speakers.

PeruvianSkies
07-28-2007, 12:01 PM
The cloths that I use to clean all of my gear is a non-abrasive cloth that is used primarily for screens, like LCD's. I think Monster makes a cleaning kit that comes with a solution for cleaning monitors with a cloth inside that is similar as well. I wipe down my gear and then use a compressed air can to extinguish the dirt on the cloth, I do NOT put it into the washer or dryer where it can pick up small grains. I have had huge success using this method since my TV and audio stand have a high black gloss finish, glass, and then my usual gear and their shiny parts.

Luvin Da Blues
07-28-2007, 12:36 PM
Huge thanks! That comparison is exactly what I was looking for! :yesnod: I was concerned that the G-Design series may have been a case of sacrificing a bit of sound quality for aesthetics. But it definitely sounds like a winner!

Thanks for the shop info. Seems like an excellent price! I'm over in the "centre of the universe" so I wonder what shipping would be like.

And I have to say, that extra bit of info regarding the scratches has restored some of my faith in these speakers. I just have to warn the girlfriend, dog and guests to never ever touch my gear! I knew someone whose mother-in-law decided to clean his stainless steel fridge with an abrasive scouring pad. That did not end well. BTW, do you have any links to where I can find more info about the beeswax technique you used?

Here's one more link with regard to dusting:

http://www.pianofinders.com/faqs/ownersfaq.htm

Interestingly, this guy puts feather dusters at the bottom of his list.

Thanks again.

Give John a call, you maybe surprised at what it would cost to have them land at your door. TO I'm guessing?

A guy at work used to tune pianos so I took his recommendation. I am using a product called Antiquax, made by Holmes of England but I'm sure there are others just as good. Picked it up at Rona. I just follow the destructions on the tin.

I couldn't recommend these enough for the price, do yourself a favor and audition a pair locally and quote Johns price as a bargaining chip.

Peace. :cornut:

Luvin Da Blues
07-28-2007, 12:39 PM
The cloths that I use to clean all of my gear is a non-abrasive cloth that is used primarily for screens, like LCD's. I think Monster makes a cleaning kit that comes with a solution for cleaning monitors with a cloth inside that is similar as well. I wipe down my gear and then use a compressed air can to extinguish the dirt on the cloth, I do NOT put it into the washer or dryer where it can pick up small grains. I have had huge success using this method since my TV and audio stand have a high black gloss finish, glass, and then my usual gear and their shiny parts.

Hey PS, I use a Maxell LCD screen cleaner for the TV and monitor but I would have never thought of using it for other things, gotta try this, Thanks.

PeruvianSkies
07-28-2007, 01:02 PM
Hey PS, I use a Maxell LCD screen cleaner for the TV and monitor but I would have never thought of using it for other things, gotta try this, Thanks.

Just check the chemical content first, you don't want anything that's gonna ruin the finish, so you have to be careful.

Luvin Da Blues
07-28-2007, 01:05 PM
Just check the chemical content first, you don't want anything that's gonna ruin the finish, so you have to be careful.

Thanks PS, like I said B4, I'm anal retentive when it comes to my stuff. I always try new products in a inconspicuous spot first, even the bees wax. :cornut:

Uncauzi
07-28-2007, 01:52 PM
Thanks again.

Give John a call, you maybe surprised at what it would cost to have them land at your door. TO I'm guessing?

A guy at work used to tune pianos so I took his recommendation. I am using a product called Antiquax, made by Holmes of England but I'm sure there are others just as good. Picked it up at Rona. I just follow the destructions on the tin.

I couldn't recommend these enough for the price, do yourself a favor and audition a pair locally and quote Johns price as a bargaining chip.

Peace. :cornut:

You know it, I'm in TO. About the Antiquax, which one did you get? I noticed that they have a few different kinds, but most are meant for natural wood surfaces. The closest I can find is their Brown Wax, which is meant for darker woods. Antiquax is apparently one of the better furniture waxes. :)

Luvin Da Blues
07-28-2007, 02:56 PM
You know it, I'm in TO. About the Antiquax, which one did you get? I noticed that they have a few different kinds, but most are meant for natural wood surfaces. The closest I can find is their Brown Wax, which is meant for darker woods. Antiquax is apparently one of the better furniture waxes. :)

Just the "Original Wax". I guess it has some carnauba in it also. I looked at the "brown" stuff but thought it was going on black so it wouldn't matter and was more expensive.

This did the job just fine but I'm no furniture expert either. You probably know more them me by now tho wrt to wax. I was told it won't haze over later so this is good.

And now for something completely different...

How's the "Leafs" looking for the upcoming season? My Canucks are adding a lotta depth and are looking like they could be contenders in a year or so.

Cheers. LDB :cornut:

anamorphic96
07-28-2007, 03:54 PM
A little late to the party here but I use dry Swiffer dusters with my GB-1's and it work's beautifully.

LDB what article did you read that stated the new G series uses the same drivers as the Platinum line. If they did they drivers sure don't look the same. Especially the woofer.

Cheers

Luvin Da Blues
07-28-2007, 04:13 PM
A little late to the party here but I use dry Swiffer dusters with my GB-1's and it work's beautifully.

LDB what article did you read that stated the new G series uses the same drivers as the Platinum line. If they did they drivers sure don't look the same. Especially the woofer.

Cheers

I don't recall the article, it was a while back. I didn't think that they looked the same either, that's why I asked Peruvian Skies to confirm. Maybe they were just talking about the tweets and I miss read. I do a lot of reading while I still have sleep in my eyes.

PeruvianSkies
07-28-2007, 05:38 PM
I don't recall the article, it was a while back. I didn't think that they looked the same either, that's why I asked Peruvian Skies to confirm. Maybe they were just talking about the tweets and I miss read. I do a lot of reading while I still have sleep in my eyes.

Two things:

I am fairly certain that they are NOT the same drivers, maybe the same tweeter or similar, but the drivers seem different to me. I still have not heard the G-Design (sigh). It wouldn't make sense that they are the same driver because the layout of the speaker is much different from the G-Design line and the Platinum, different configuration and all.

LDB...I am also a fan of the Canucks.....I obviously love the Penguins since I am in Pgh, but I also root for the Canucks for the West Coast. Peace.

Luvin Da Blues
07-28-2007, 06:26 PM
Two things:

I am fairly certain that they are NOT the same drivers, maybe the same tweeter or similar, but the drivers seem different to me. I still have not heard the G-Design (sigh). It wouldn't make sense that they are the same driver because the layout of the speaker is much different from the G-Design line and the Platinum, different configuration and all.

LDB...I am also a fan of the Canucks.....I obviously love the Penguins since I am in Pgh, but I also root for the Canucks for the West Coast. Peace.

Thanks PS for straightening my old noggin out. I probably shouldn't have posted that without confirmation, I won't do it again, ........no really I promise. :hand: The G's use woven fiberglass woofers but I'm not sure about the Plats..never seen or heard a pair (sigh).

How about the Crosby kid, WOW . But we have Luongo :prrr:. I was in Edmonton during the Gretzky years and actually met him while our company (at the time) was installing his Sat. Dish in his penthouse, he gave me a tour of the place, hell of a nice guy. Let's hope for a Nucks/Pens final this year..then we should have lots more to talk about. Can't wait to see a game on HiDef.

Cheers and Peace out. :16:

Rock&Roll Ninja
07-28-2007, 06:37 PM
1. I have the M2s... they rule!

2. I haven't been able to submit a review for them for almost a year! AudioReview hates me. Or it hates my Mac.

3. The AudioAdvisor finally has some nice speakers. They used to be kind of a joke.... $4000 cables and their best speaker was $800

Uncauzi
07-28-2007, 07:49 PM
Thanks for the additional info. :)

As for the Leafs, um... :frown2: Seriously though, we better have Peca is in our lineup. I miss the playoffs...

Just the "Original Wax". I guess it has some carnauba in it also. I looked at the "brown" stuff but thought it was going on black so it wouldn't matter and was more expensive.

This did the job just fine but I'm no furniture expert either. You probably know more them me by now tho wrt to wax. I was told it won't haze over later so this is good.

And now for something completely different...

How's the "Leafs" looking for the upcoming season? My Canucks are adding a lotta depth and are looking like they could be contenders in a year or so.

Cheers. LDB :cornut:

Uncauzi
07-28-2007, 07:52 PM
I was in Edmonton during the Gretzky years and actually met him while our company (at the time) was installing his Sat. Dish in his penthouse, he gave me a tour of the place, hell of a nice guy.

Wow, am I ever jealous! I hear he's a class act, all the way.

Luvin Da Blues
07-28-2007, 08:04 PM
Wow, am I ever jealous! I hear he's a class act, all the way.

Yes he is.

BTW, welcome to this forum Uncauzi, good to have you here. :cornut: Just a little late uh.

Uncauzi
07-28-2007, 09:30 PM
Yes he is.

BTW, welcome to this forum Uncauzi, good to have you here. :cornut: Just a little late uh.

Thanks! Sorry, I probably should have introduced myself first but I couldn't help myself. I've been so eager to find out more information about the G-Design! I frequent a couple other AV forums and you're the first person I've met that owns a pair. I'm surprised that they're not getting that much attention.

BTW, Kelowna is absolutely beautiful! I went there last summer and enjoyed the local wine. :thumbsup:

Uncauzi
07-28-2007, 10:54 PM

I'm not sure if it really matters now, but was this what you read?

The drivers in the new Stratus models are expected to use technology developed for the company's upscale Platinum series.

http://blog.ultimateavmag.com/cedia2006/091506PSB/

Luvin Da Blues
07-29-2007, 04:26 AM
Thanks! Sorry, I probably should have introduced myself first but I couldn't help myself. I've been so eager to find out more information about the G-Design! I frequent a couple other AV forums and you're the first person I've met that owns a pair. I'm surprised that they're not getting that much attention.

BTW, Kelowna is absolutely beautiful! I went there last summer and enjoyed the local wine. :thumbsup:

To be quite honest, I didn't know a lot about PSB until I was in the market for new speakers. Actually, I was out of the game for a few years when I went back to school and had to sell off my old gear due to finances and space limitations but was one of the first priorities on the list after graduation.

I agree, Kelowna is a jewel of a place (the druggies are taking over a bit lately tho). I have 4 beautiful lakes within 5 minutes from my door. :thumbsup: If you ever make it back here, we should get together and tip a few.:cornut:

Cheers, LDB

Luvin Da Blues
07-29-2007, 04:30 AM
I'm not sure if it really matters now, but was this what you read?

http://blog.ultimateavmag.com/cedia2006/091506PSB/

That probably was it, thanks for saving me a "little" face.:) You obviously have better Internet searching skills than me.:cornut: You da man.

PeruvianSkies
07-29-2007, 10:05 PM
There seems to be a dealer about 30 miles away from me and I am going to check and see if they are stocking the G-Design before actually making the trip. I hope they have both the G-Design and the Plats as I want to do a comparison. I'll keep everyone posted if I make the trip!

Uncauzi
08-01-2007, 08:18 PM
I agree, Kelowna is a jewel of a place (the druggies are taking over a bit lately tho). I have 4 beautiful lakes within 5 minutes from my door. :thumbsup: If you ever make it back here, we should get together and tip a few.:cornut:

Cheers, LDB

I love wine and I love fishing. Kelowna is mind kind of place. :yesnod: Certainly a shame about the druggies.

And same to you, give me a shout if you're ever in Toronto!

Uncauzi
08-01-2007, 08:20 PM
There seems to be a dealer about 30 miles away from me and I am going to check and see if they are stocking the G-Design before actually making the trip. I hope they have both the G-Design and the Plats as I want to do a comparison. I'll keep everyone posted if I make the trip!

Here's hoping that you do! I'd love to hear a comparison.

PeruvianSkies
08-02-2007, 10:03 AM
Here's hoping that you do! I'd love to hear a comparison.

I am also hoping to take a good friend of mine who over the course of about 10 years owned just about everything in the Stratus lineup, plus he is familiar with the Image series as I am, but we can both offer our perspective on the G-Design in comparison to the Platinum, Image, and Stratus lines. It looks like we are going to be able to take a trip sometime in August.

Luvin Da Blues
08-02-2007, 10:53 AM
I am also hoping to take a good friend of mine who over the course of about 10 years owned just about everything in the Stratus lineup, plus he is familiar with the Image series as I am, but we can both offer our perspective on the G-Design in comparison to the Platinum, Image, and Stratus lines. It looks like we are going to be able to take a trip sometime in August.

If you don't like them I don't wanna hear about it. :prrr: Just joking, will be waiting for your comments. :)

LDB

PeruvianSkies
08-02-2007, 01:27 PM
If you don't like them I don't wanna hear about it. :prrr: Just joking, will be waiting for your comments. :)

LDB

I am sure that I will be satisfied and the friend that I am taking was interested in buying the G-Design series, but the local dealer that him and I go to stopped carrying PSB and we want to check out this other place that carries them to see if they are a good source. If all goes well, he might be walking out with some speakers to replace his Stratus Goldi's.