Anyone have Andrew Bird's first two albums? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have Andrew Bird's first two albums?

Snowbunny
07-23-2007, 05:18 PM
Music of Hair or Oh! The Grandeur?

I cannot imagine him putting out anything I don't like but you never know. I'd love to hear if anyone has these albums from the 90's, and what they think of them.

Also, anyone seen him in concert lately? He's coming to Vancouver in September. I'm shocked that he's going to be at Richards on Richards. I just see him as more of an Orpheum type act, than a bar band. If anyone's seen him live, is he as clean sounding in concert, as he is on his recordings?

Armchair Apochrypha is a great album start to finish. I'd give it a 5 out of 5 provided I could give The Swimming Hour 6 out of 5. :)

Andrew continues to weave a thread of place and time in his lyrics with GPS, cartographers and true locations. Dark Matter has one of the oddest, and yet most appealing, opening stanzas I've heard in a long time with:

When I was just a little boy
I threw away all of my action toys
While a I became obsessed with Operation

Tore the spines from out of all of these self-help books
Made myself a gun that not only shoots but looks
So real
It shoots through steel
With rays of dark matter

Anyone caught the instrumental clip from Skin, Is on a hotel commercial? :nonod:

Slosh
07-23-2007, 11:49 PM
I have Thrills, Oh The Grandeur, Music Of Hair, and The Ballad Of The Red Shoes. None of them are rock albums and to tell the truth I never listen to any of them. But for me The Swimming Hour, Weather Systems, The Mysterious Production Of Eggs, and Armchair Apocrypha never seem to go out of heavy rotation OTOH. I never seen him live but really would like to. I downloaded a few of his concerts from http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=collection%3Aetree%20AND%20creato r%3A%22Andrew%20Bird%22
and like that many of his songs are ever-evolving.

I seen a commercial with a bit of "Imitosis" in the background recently.

ForeverAutumn
07-24-2007, 05:47 AM
Are you going to the Vancouver show Snowie? He's playing in Toronto in Sept. also. I'm dying to go, but I have to travel to Quebec City that week and I can't buy tickets until I know my travel itinerary. I hope it doesn't sell out in the meantime.

I have almost the whole year free and he books Toronto on the one week that I have to be away. Figures. :sad:

I haven't heard the CDs that you mention. I've read that his early stuff is very different than his more recent releases.

3-LockBox
07-24-2007, 09:46 AM
Andrew Bird is a keeper. I just have two albums, Swimming Hour and Mysterious Production Of Eggs, and I love both.

Snowbunny
07-24-2007, 11:27 AM
Are you going to the Vancouver show Snowie? He's playing in Toronto in Sept. also. I'm dying to go, but I have to travel to Quebec City that week and I can't buy tickets until I know my travel itinerary. I hope it doesn't sell out in the meantime.

I have almost the whole year free and he books Toronto on the one week that I have to be away. Figures. :sad:

I haven't heard the CDs that you mention. I've read that his early stuff is very different than his more recent releases.

Hi Autumn,

I really want to go myself, but I'm a little put off by the venue. I would think that it will sell out so I have to decide pretty quickly. Where is he playing in TO?

I've only got the three most recent CD's myself. I really haven't heard any buzz at all about the early stuff. But Slosh is our biggest bird fan around here, and it doesn't sound like I need to be a "completist". :smilewinkgrin:

Snowie

Snowbunny
07-24-2007, 11:30 AM
I have Thrills, Oh The Grandeur, Music Of Hair, and The Ballad Of The Red Shoes. None of them are rock albums and to tell the truth I never listen to any of them. But for me The Swimming Hour, Weather Systems, The Mysterious Production Of Eggs, and Armchair Apocrypha never seem to go out of heavy rotation OTOH. I never seen him live but really would like to. I downloaded a few of his concerts from http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=collection%3Aetree%20AND%20creato r%3A%22Andrew%20Bird%22
and like that many of his songs are ever-evolving.

I seen a commercial with a bit of "Imitosis" in the background recently.

You know, its the weirdest thing. Somehow I've never thought about Weather Systems and I don't have it. Maybe when I've seen it mentioned on an album list I've just thought that it was a re-do of The Swimming Hour because of the song Skin. :confused5:

How you doing?

Snowie

ForeverAutumn
07-25-2007, 06:11 AM
Hi Autumn,

I really want to go myself, but I'm a little put off by the venue. I would think that it will sell out so I have to decide pretty quickly. Where is he playing in TO?

I agree that the venue can make a big difference. He's playing The Opera House here in Toronto. Despite it's name, this venue has nothing to do with Opera. I've never been there, so I have no idea whether it's a good place for a show or not. But they do get some good acts playing there.